Light discussion

kingjoshi

King
What do you think of light pollution? We were driving home from New Hampshire and out in the highway my brother was mentioning how he liked NH because he can see the stars. I must admit, it can be romantic if you're with someone but most of the time it doesn't register on my mind.

Well i certainly think birds get messed up by it- hearing them calling to each other at 2am or whatever at the street lights can't be good for them.

well I've never lived anywhere where I couldn't see the stars at night, so I wouldn't know. :)

Never stayed in the city even for a holiday?

I thought even a busy street has enough lights to black the stars.

sure did, I said I just never lived anywhere that didn't have visible stars.

of course I've been to places where I probably couldn't see the sky. but then I'm not a home there, so I wouldn't notice, since there's plenty of other stuff to see there :) I don't think you'd miss it for a few days, but if I lived in a place like that, I'd sure start to miss it.

Not being able to see more than about 7 stars came as a MAJOR shock to me on moving to London at first. I had to keep getting out of the city to see them and to get some fresh air and space. It used to boggle my mind how many stars there were that I missed out on. Everytime I got out of 'the big smoke' I would stand under the night sky, in awe, like some child seeing it all for the first time. Light pollution impacts our happiness, at least it did mine.

Fortunately I can see the stars every night, except when it is cloudy of course. We do not have that problem here, but even still the clarity when you move away from Perth, you do get to see them in greater clarity.

I am so glad that I do not live in Springfield.

I live in a fairly rural part of Quebec and can see the stars pretty well , but never so brilliantly as I did in the southern hemisphere. Clasical Hero is understating the night sky in Australia. It is awe inspirirng. The night sky is so clear in the Austrailian bush one can see blue coloured satelites refecting the sun with the naked eye.

Not being able to see the stars at night has never really bothered me, but that could just be because I've never stayed in a rural area for longer than a week, so I've never really been to used to seeing them.

kingjoshi said:
What do you think of light pollution? We were driving home from New Hampshire and out in the highway my brother was mentioning how he liked NH because he can see the stars. I must admit, it can be romantic if you're with someone but most of the time it doesn't register on my mind.
last i checked, light does not pollute.

here in Montreal light pollution is true ..... on a beautyful night you can hardly see 4 or 5 stars ....... I can see the big dipper but I have to get a really nice night to see it.

30 mins from montreal and you see the whole thing. This is one thing I do when I go to my in-law's house ... I sit in their backyard just to look at the stars!

kingjoshi said:
I'm glad you brought that up! I've been around city lights my entire life, every single day. In Louisiana around preKatrina Kenner, they were particularly bright. When I moved to California, I was amazed to see huge swaths of highway with no lights on the sides. There is no such thing as that in the New Orleans area. Or at least, there wasn't. Here in New Jersey, the lights are a little dim compared to preKatrina New Orleans.

Actually, I remember when I was very young, I was able to see stars, fairly regularly. Over time, I stopped noticing them. Maybe the ambient lights grew in intensity as the population grew.

I spent a weekend in the moutnains in New York and I saw so many stars it was so beautiful. I had never seen so many, I couldn't stop looking at the sky.

Opthalmologist, I think. ;)

You can't see very many stars where I live in Ohio.

New Hampshire is amazing, by the way.

Top Bottom