Jon Shafer joins Stardock to work on elemental

I'm surprised that CivFan has left this thread up. It doesn't do their image any good with all the pouting, childish posts slandering a man that once worked at Firaxis. It gives the image of CivFan that it is populated and run by people who harbor a petty vendetta against someone just because they quit and went to work for a rival company.

I don't harbor a vendetta against Shafer because he quit Firaxis.

I hold it against him that he didn't quit sooner.

I don't harbor a vendetta against Shafer because he quit Firaxis.

I hold it against him that he didn't quit sooner.

Then you wouldn't have gotten your Civ4: Beyond the Sword. Isn't that the icon you worship, your holy of holies? Your Game of Games?:lol:

If I was a new comer here and saw this thread, I would be appalled that a company site would be so vindictive and I would be inclined to seek out the products of the company the man now works at, instead.
CFC is not a Firaxis site. The guy who owns it isn't a Firaxian.

I agree with those who find all this vindictiveness petty, and mostly uninformed. Many of your problems with CiV will be fixed by the huge team at Firaxis in the next expansion(s). Jon going to Stardock is more indicative of his desire for creative freedom -- and Brad's deep pockets perhaps -- than any of your perceptions about failures with CiV.

Then you wouldn't have gotten your Civ4: Beyond the Sword. Isn't that the icon you worship, your holy of holies? Your Game of Games?:lol:
Really? That's funny, I read two different people credited as Lead Designer for BtS.

And personally, no. I preferred Warlords.

aw crud..

and I liked Stardock too.. I especially liked the promise of Elemental.
Well, maybe this just means we can get past Star Trek V... i mean Civ V and onto Civ VI.

lol.. i think I should be lead designer for Civ VI. I have some COBOL programming experience, a little C++, and some HTML coding. Oh wait, does that make me overqualified for them? :mischief:

The people at SD aren't stupid...seems like a good acquisition to me.

Thats utter rubbish...Shafer is the one who wanter One Unit per Tile...he is the one who wanted to combine a tactical game like Panzer General with a grand strategic game that is Civ...he is the one who used Hex tiles (because thats what a game from the 1990's had - i.e. Panzer General)...he is responsible for the game - he was the LEAD designer...he is the one to blame!

Eh, opinions vary, right? I think 1UPT, hexes, and attempting to add strategic combat into Civ was the best decision ever. I've always found combat in Civ to be horribly lacking, cheesy, and exploitive, and considered the majority of players "beating" civ on higher difficulties to be exploiting (taking advantage of AI flaws, poor game mechanics, ideal map conditions, etc).

If the AI had been anything but ultra stupid it could've been the best thing ever (combat in civ 5).

Some other elements of the game were kinda meh, like resource placement and bonuses that kinda took away pizazz (going overboard on balancing) and balance in general was kind of wonky, but you can't be sure to blame that on design when you have Steam, a parent company, crappy testing and beta processes, and deadlines that prevent refinement.

Can't make it too complicated for the younglings, ya know?-.-
MWAHAHAH do you know of the "paradox of perceived threat"? Someone, believing himself to be in control of certain area, spots the youngling showing signs of a great potential; perceiving him as a potential threat for his "rule", he attempts to cripple, enslave or eliminate the youngling, thus giving him the 'real' reason - self-defence - to overthrow the tyrant, while otherwise left in peace that youngling most likely would not have bothered to interfere. This paradox is one case of the same kind, kind of "self-fulfilling prophecy", while another case is that of "stupid monkey": one, presuming that monkeys are stupid, treats them as such and actually makes them stupid as result (see "population of U.S.A. as shown in Robochicken"). Ahh, where is that Darth Vader to choke some of you [imbeciles (see "stupid monkey")] and tell to the remained rest: "YOU PRESUME TOO MUCH"

Top Bottom