The Kuriotates

A forbidden Palace shouldn't strictly speaking be necessary with the Kuriotates, but I'm more worried about other buildings. It would suit their new-found "ultra-urban" flavour badly if they were blocked off from some of the most monumental buildings.

EDIT: "Regquire". Now there's an interesting new word. And I can't even blame it on G and Q being close together!

Kael said:
That sounds perfect Chalid. Lets add a trait and hook the increased culture expansion, bigger max culture expansion, and the ability to work the 3rd ring to it. Call it "Sprawling" or something like that. Can you go ahead and add the SDK effects Chalid?

I'll come up with something when i did the MageAI. Im busily working on that at the moment.

Final candidate list:

1. The Kuriotates are going to be about less, better improved cities. Cardith will have the Sprawling trait which causes their borders to spread faster, spread to an additional depth and gives them the ability to work the 3rd plot ring (bigger fat cross).

2. They are limited to 3 real cities. After that all cities will be settlements.

3. Settlements spread culture, but dont contribute research, gold or production. They are unable to build any buildings or units. They dont have unhealthiness or unhappiness. Their growth is very limited.

4. Conquered cities become settlements.

5. If the Kuriotates have less than 3 "real" cities they can promote a settlement to a real city.

6. Increased traderoutes.

7. Centaurs- funtionaly mobile archers to help defend their kingdom. The defensive moves will be even more important if they have to cover a larger area with the non-unit producing "settlements" on it.

It all sounds good. I suspect Kuriotates might become one of my favourite civs with these changes, and they certainly seem to become very good candidates for cultural victories. They'll also be the civ to choose when trying for a One City Challenge:)

The Centaurs: A single UU (tier 2-3ish), or a series of UUs (as in an entirely separate Cavarchery unit upgrade tree)?

Otherwise, I love it! The Kuriotates will suit my playing style waaaaay too well:D

Since a conquered city becoming a settlement will make it rather useless, perhaps you should fix it so that it either doesn't loose all its culture when you grab it, or gets it back very fast?

wilboman said:
The Centaurs: A single UU (tier 2-3ish), or a series of UUs (as in an entirely separate Cavarchery unit upgrade tree)?

All of their archers are planned to be replaced by centaurs.

Otherwise, I love it! The Kuriotates will suit my playing style waaaaay too well:D

Since a conquered city becoming a settlement will make it rather useless, perhaps you should fix it so that it either doesn't loose all its culture when you grab it, or gets it back very fast?

Cardith will have to be Creative for this strategy to work. We may want to consider what buildigns can be built in a settlement. I was thinking of allowing city walls and the obelisk.

Chalid said:
I think market and elder council would be ok as well. Shall settlements grow or shall they sit there with just one pop point?

I have them as -100% gold, -100% research, -50% culture, -75% food. So they will grow, but slowly. They have no unhealthiness, no unhappiness, no war weariness and no maintenance costs.

I may change the culture impact so they they grow culture normally.

loki1232 said:
Great ideas all.

What if cardith were Spiritual, Sprawlin, and philosophical?

Hes going to need creative to get the borders out on his cities and around his settlements.

Instead of philosophical, perhaps? I suspect that the über-city flavour we're going for here would give plenty of GP points on its own.

He is planned for Creative, Sprawling and Philosophical. His 3 cities may make a lot of GPP but he will only have 3 cities making them (where other civs will have many more). So I think he still needs it.

The Sprawling makes good progress.. Actually all my cities are sprawling at the moment... the difficult task is to teach the other s not to do... And i am making progress there as well...

Im considering the following for the cultural borders: They simply always are one level bigger (1 culture would be needed for firt expansion probably) that they would be for non sprawling civs. This way we could also get rid of the creative trait (and it is relatively simple to implement).

And i figure they will get enought culture with their giagantic cities anyway. So they do not need creative for a cultural win....

Chalid said:
Im considering the following for the cultural borders: They simply always are one level bigger (1 culture would be needed for firt expansion probably) that they would be for non sprawling civs. This way we could also get rid of the creative trait (and it is relatively simple to implement).

And i figure they will get enought culture with their giagantic cities anyway. So they do not need creative for a cultural win....

Sounds good, im all for simple.

Settlements are checked in. The Kuriotates can make as many settlers as they want, but every one past the first 3 will just be a settlement. The settlements limited build lists are working. If the Kuriotates capture a city it checks to see if they already have at least 3 "real" cities and if they do it makes the new city a settlement.

Everything seems to be working fine, they can spread culture and grow their empire apart from their main 3 cities. The settlements do slowly grow in growth when in good locations (some stayed at 1 pop but after I improved the tiles around them they started growing).

I have yet to create a way for a settlement to upgrade to a city (so the player can promote a city if one of his main 3 gets taken and he doesn't think he will be able to get it back soon). That will be easy enough to do.

I was also thinking about adding a "Trading Post" building that is unique to the Kuriotates and can be built in settlements that adds a Trade Route. This isnt much good for the settlement, which is -100% trade. But would give the main 3 cities plenty to trade with. They probably need an uber building that gives +3 trade routes or something like that.

I have a solution for your upgrading (in fact it is even needed and you can make the first cities settements as well)

I'll linke the isSprawling of the city to a buildingattribute i will shortly introduce (so not the civ decides if a city is sprawling but the buildings built there.) Obviosly the kuriotate palace would switch a city to be sprawling as well as a very cheap national wonder (two buildable). This way we can also allow scaling with map size.
ill export isSprawling of the building to Phython so you can check this for changing settlements.

Top Bottom