Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Question out of interest: Is the war against the Islamic Confederation the hot topic of war-themed video games by this update (akin to World War II and the Gulf Wars being the hot topics of today's war-themed video games)? What happened to Mario? Sonic? Master Chief? The GTA series (if it's still on, what's the flavor of crime)? Duke Nukem Forever?

Those are the pressing questions that bug me at the moment.

OOC: And Symphony D. said "Let there be an interim map to appease the terminally confused," and there was an interim map to appease the terminally confused. And Symphony D. saw that the interim map to appease the terminally confused was good.

New systems not displayed. Offer not valid in Alaska and New Jersey. No claims of accuracy are made or endorsed. Use at your own risk.

Question out of interest: Is the war against the Islamic Confederation the hot topic of war-themed video games by this update (akin to World War II and the Gulf Wars being the hot topics of today's war-themed video games)?
To a somewhat lesser degree, yes. The fact that the allies maintained the upper hand for pretty much the whole war has decreased the period's appeal, but the race to ensure that the Islamic Confederation didn't initiate a nuclear holocaust has made for some good settings.
flyingchicken said:
What happened to Mario? Sonic? Master Chief? The GTA series (if it's still on, what's the flavor of crime)? Duke Nukem Forever?

Those are the pressing questions that bug me at the moment.
Mario, Sonic, Halo, and GTA are all pretty much relics of the past, somewhat known among the gaming community, but no new official material is being released. New mascots have stepped in to replace the old - yes, including GTA. Interplanetary piracy (both perpetrating it and preventing it) is the newest fad.

Duke Nukem Forever has not yet set a concrete release date, though anticipation is high.

OOC: And Symphony D. said "Let there be an interim map to appease the terminally confused," and there was an interim map to appease the terminally confused. And Symphony D. saw that the interim map to appease the terminally confused was good.

Spoiler :

New systems not displayed. Offer not valid in Alaska and New Jersey. No claims of accuracy are made or endorsed. Use at your own risk.

Excellent - it looks completely accurate to me. I'll be updating the new systems to the map last, so I'm very glad that the players will have something to look at until then.

OOC: The acceptance of qoou as President of the Special Republic of Zenit has been acknowledged by the Russian Federation.

Velvet (and those who would take Zion, Hastinapur, or Victoria): as (the only playing) members within the same alliance and the military providers for that alliance, I (and I imagine flyingchicken) would ask that you confer with us before doing anything too radical (which shouldn't be a problem at this stage). We're also here if you have any questions.

The President of the United States [played by flyingchicken, not Head Serf as the OP would have you believe] is currently waiting for his staff [played by Chandrasekhar] to give him reports on the state of the Union. Meanwhile, he is out on a fishing trip, smoking cigars and setting men's fashion trends in the upper class of corporate executives and government bigwigs. His secretary would like to inform the [potential player-] members of ASTRIS that, as one of the two leaders of ASTRIS and fellow [player-] member, he is to be updated on the activities and goings-on of and within the organization even as he's out to get the big'uns.

Nice. I assume that my little engineering projects went as planned? Also, would the map expand now that at least one of its edges has been reached, or is traveling beyond Tyrelia too impractical?

One thing that might be useful is a political map of the Earth, showing the present configuration of superpowers and/or coalitions, though it might not be worth all the bother it would realistically take. Still, it certainly would be of assistance to those seeking to join as an Earth nation, or really, just for anyone who has reasons to be interested in Earth politics.

Also, would the map expand now that at least one of its edges has been reached, or is traveling beyond Tyrelia too impractical?
OOC: I can say for a fact that isn't the edge.

One thing that might be useful is a political map of the Earth, showing the present configuration of superpowers and/or coalitions, though it might not be worth all the bother it would realistically take. Still, it certainly would be of assistance to those seeking to join as an Earth nation, or really, just for anyone who has reasons to be interested in Earth politics.
It's more or less the same. Major changes are that Taiwan and Mongolia have probably been subsumed by China, Korea is unified (under the South), Belarus and Kazakhstan are part of the Russian Federation, and the Ukraine (and probably Moldova) are part of the European Union, which is federalized. Who exactly is in it and how much they support it is a nebulous question. IIRC Turkey wasn't. The Balkans, Iceland, and Norway, along with Switzerland and the microstates are sort of unknown. Aside from Timor apparently having been integrated in WWIII, not much else in the world has changed, except perhaps in Africa.

The only coalitions of note at this time are basically NEOCOM and ASTRIS, with the latter having membership probably mostly included within the former, which is probably a bit bigger.

I can say for a fact that isn't the edge.

I know, I know... I am not very familiar with space cartography terminology.

Anyway, I rather doubt that Africa and the Middle East went through all this time with no significant change, especially after the War.

I know, I know... I am not very familiar with space cartography terminology.
OOC: No I mean as in it is literally not the edge of the map. My version is cut down (1000x900) compared to the "normal" version (1600x1200) and the starfield goes up to 2400x1800.

Anyway, I rather doubt that Africa and the Middle East went through all this time with no significant change, especially after the War.
Probably. The question is though: does it really matter?

Nice. plans are progressing, and I can eneter the stage of colinization this turn, hopefully.

I am curious how my Idea for a new method of drive somehow got compleatly reversed, be it still works well, and I will not complain.

The President of the United States [played by flyingchicken, not Head Serf as the OP would have you believe]
The first post has now been belatedly corrected.
flyingchicken said:
is currently waiting for his staff [played by Chandrasekhar] to give him reports on the state of the Union.
Yes, all players expecting PM'd reports (most of you know who you are) should wait a day or three. I'd like to finish most of the stats before I send those out.
flyingchicken said:
Meanwhile, he is out on a fishing trip, smoking cigars and setting men's fashion trends in the upper class of corporate executives and government bigwigs. His secretary would like to inform the [potential player-] members of ASTRIS that, as one of the two leaders of ASTRIS and fellow [player-] member, he is to be updated on the activities and goings-on of and within the organization even as he's out to get the big'uns.
I hear that the giant space squid of Xiaoping are good eatin'.
Nice. I assume that my little engineering projects went as planned? Also, would the map expand now that at least one of its edges has been reached, or is traveling beyond Tyrelia too impractical?
The one aspect of the coming map that Symphony's excellent interim map doesn't show is the new systems that have been charted since last turn. I'll make and post it after the rest of the stats are done. Also, your projects went just as planned. [/obscure reference]
das said:
I don't think it's worth the effort at this point - I'll answer questions if there are any, but Symphony has pretty much summarized the differences that aren't immediately evident.

Yeah. Turkey never joined the EU, though the rest of Europe (sans Switzerland, though it's heavily integrated) ultimately did so.

Yeah. Turkey never joined the EU, though the rest of Europe (sans Switzerland, though it's heavily integrated) ultimately did so.
OOC: Did you verify that with him?

That was my backstory when I first joined the game at the very start, so I assume it's canonical.

Yes, it's all well within the realm of possibility, and it was decided during Turn 0, so it's fact. Also, expect the tech files to be updated in the next few hours.

The previous fighter designs are capable of both atmospheric and space combat, [...]
OOC: Voicing strong disapproval of this.

OOC: Voicing strong disapproval of this.

Definitions of the border between "atmosphere" and "space" might vary, especially over the various worlds that have received human interest, but go ahead and PM me your expert analysis of the matter (and any other matters you may find objectionable - I'm a bit surprised to have not gotten more criticism of my tech files so far, to be honest :p).

faster than light
OOC: I object! :p j/k

I declare this era of competitive cooperation between Russia and the United States of America as the Second Cold War--a race for prestige rather than future dominance over each other.

[future story--probably after I get a report--goes here, so that it doesn't waste precious space]

Top Bottom