Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Why call it a war, though? Or cold, for that matter? (And ofcourse if we take away these things it won't really be "second" either)

I dunno. I'd like to call it a "Cold War" just to invoke the era--a competition between the United States of America and Russia, which is what's going on in Sol right now (at least, Chandrasekhar made me feel that way when he gave me my initial briefing, and now it's a stronger feeling than ever) despite the alliance and general friendly atmosphere between the two states. As for "cold" specifically, you could add the fact that the Russians are quite secretive, but that's a given for any big military-industrial complex of a state.

I'm not sure how many possible "Cold Wars" there could have been in the past.

Or you could simply refer to the fact that it's pretty cold out beyond the Jovians where your "war" is mostly taking place. ;)

It makes me wonder if modern (22nd century) historical revisionists have found a better euphemism for the period. "The Lukewarm Disagreement," perhaps.

But they aren't exactly disagreeing either, now, are they? It's more like the Enthusiastic Cooperation or something, at least unless you start undermining each other.

But they aren't exactly disagreeing either, now, are they? It's more like the Enthusiastic Cooperation or something, at least unless you start undermining each other.

and let's hope they do, ;)

[OOC] Australia seems to be doing pretty well for itself.

Lets see if I can 'improve' the situation :mischief:. [/OOC]

*The13thRonin signs on as Australia, colonial settlement or mainland, both if possible*.

I don't like the look of those single quotes and the mischief smiley. Be reminded that the powers and superpowers of ASTRIS (your allies) and the rest of Sol have more than enough industrial might to convert factories into self-rearming intercontinental and interstellar missile bases that can bombard a rogue Australia into the briny deep with a continual--nay, continuous!--bombardment of highly advanced and highly devastating warheads as well as enough interstellar military might to turn your extraterrestrial and extrasolar assets into worthless rubbish.

And then we can totally erase all mentions of "Australia" in the histories, if it does go rogue. In a few generations, Australia will be non-existent in the records, and the funny accent will be attributed as an "Old English" accent on modern English revived by the SCA. Oh yes, we can do that, and more. Just look at Indonesia. It has so fallen into obscurity that it's not in the stats.

:crazyeye:

-TALKING-

[OOC] You know that little voice, that little voice in the back of your head? The one that whispers nothings to you, drawing you ever closer to either madness or greatness. Perhaps you can't hear it as such... Perhaps you mock such an idea. But all the nervous laughing in the world cannot hide such a weakness. The turbulent lies and truths with their constant scratching going on and on and on... And then you realize others with the same look in their eyes, the same particular dullness residing just beyond the world of fact and reason. That little voice is me. And I'm going to change your world...

:) [/OOC]

Your crazed cryptic talk does not scare me, blasphemer. :p

Seriously, as with Brazil (Velvet), Australia (you) should talk to either Russia (Symphony D.) or America (me) before doing anything radical in-character.

OOC: Much like Velvet got the Brazilian colony, you'll probably be getting the Australian colony, because this game isn't about Earth. And yes, we control the fleet that protects your planet and access to it; QED, doing something stupid is not in your best interests--either politically, economically, or militarily. If you can't accept that, you will not enjoy your stay, and are advised to look at some other group's colony for your amusement.

OOC: Much like Velvet got the Brazilian colony, you'll probably be getting the Australian colony, because this game isn't about Earth. And yes, we control the fleet that protects your planet and access to it; QED, doing something stupid is not in your best interests--either politically, economically, or militarily. If you can't accept that, you will not enjoy your stay, and are advised to look at some other group's colony for your amusement.

[OOC] Who the hell went around the camp with the serious stick and beat seven shades of blue out of everyone here? It's a game for a reason, fun! Now if acting all serious and whatnot is your cup of tea that's cool but I'm afraid you'll have to leave me to my own devices in return. [/OOC]

It's a game, but we would like to conduct it in a realistic manner. If you want to be military-happy, go be a Chinese puppet, because so far it's the only bloc that's superficially militant and most probable to explode (given their militaristic tendencies--see: their secretive far-flung military space bases).

[OOC] Who the hell went around the camp with the serious stick and beat seven shades of blue out of everyone here? It's a game for a reason, fun! Now if acting all serious and whatnot is your cup of tea that's cool but I'm afraid you'll have to leave me to my own devices in return. [/OOC]
OOC: You're right. It is to have fun. So, if you want to act out of character, try and hijack a planet with at most maybe 500,000 people and lead a revolt against a country which has probably granted you a strong leeway in the realm of freedom, which is both financing your development (because your planet is currently an undeveloped ********) and which is contractually obligated to grant you independence when your world is completed, great.

Sadly, if you choose to do that, your idea of fun will impinge upon our idea of fun, and we have guns, and you don't. You will be terminated and removed from power by our hands, if your own bloody people don't do it first.

I am tired of people walking into this game, going "Oh, hey, look, planets that can become independent!" and being morons about it, instead of stopping and thinking "Hey, it took Earth like 7000 years to go from being an undeveloped mudball with 10 million people to a fully industrialized and productive planet with a population of over 10 billion! Why, I don't imagine it's quite possible to replicate that success in a few decades all on my own! It would take sustained development on the order of trillions of dollars and massive immigration from the homeworld over the course of about a century to begin to even come close to achieving a fraction of that kind of output! So by revolting I'd be shooting myself in the foot and hoisting myself by my own petard, because they'd stop giving me free money, my industry would fail, only poor people would want to immigrate, I would have nothing to export but raw materials (and the travel costs are too expensive to make that financially possible), and my planet would become a failed example of humanity that would be neglected and politically isolated, if I even somehow survived! And I'd be leagues behind in development compared to all the colonies that weren't run by idiots! Golly gee wilickers that sure would be stupid of me to do!"

You want to be here just to joyride, then we don't need you. It's really that simple.

You want to be here just to joyride, then we don't need you. It's really that simple.

[OOC] 1. I'm here regardless of whether you agree with the fact or not. Get used to it.

Talking about irrelevant nonsense regarding historically plausible outcomes or whatever.

2. I never stated I was going to do anything like that. You are imaging things or taking out your frustrations on the wrong person. I thought the general procedure was that before you gave the good old ear thrashing to someone was that they were meant to do SOMETHING wrong before that. Regardless of all aforementioned factors I will not be ordered around by the likes of you, especially when instead of articulating your sentiments in a pleasant manner you seem to throw out accusations like they're going out of style.

Couldn't this be a more pleasant exchange of banter? I'd rather not start a flame-war. [/OOC]

[OOC] 1. I'm here regardless of whether you agree with the fact or not.
OOC: At the current rate that is quite debatable.

I never stated I was going to do anything like that. You are imaging things or taking out your frustrations on the wrong person. I thought the general procedure was that before you gave the good old ear thrashing to someone was that they were meant to do SOMETHING wrong before that.
Alright, lets review then:

Spoiler :
The13thRonin said:
You know what would benefit the both of us? A trade agreement. If I made a formal trade agreement in the thread would you accept? The proposition would be mainly focused on the exchange of Australia's bio-technology for your more advanced military technology and possibly some of your more dated naval equipment. What say you?
flyingchicken said:
President Reyes would like to ask the Australians to expound on the terms of the "trade agreement." He would also like to say that the technology trade is impossible at the moment.
The13thRonin said:
Impossibles a big word. It'd be a shame if Australia had to seek trade from other sources... Sources closer to our Oceanic home...
flyingchicken said:
In the international market, biological technologies are changing hands everyday--military technologies do not, and for good reason. United States of America does not feel the need to divulge its own terrestrial military technologies.

Also, only the United States of America and the Russian Federation are the official military arms of the ASTRIS organization. Other members do not need to have access to extraterrestrial military technology. In fact, it will be detrimental to the advantages that the organization provides if every member is suddenly has access to those files; if it proliferates, it might leak out through unwanted channels.

International and extraterrestrial peacekeeping would be much easier if military technology is not going around the world willy-nilly, and stayed in the hands of the few.
The13thRonin said:
flyingchicken said:
... and stayed in the hands of the few.
Louis the XVI seemed to think so at any rate . Not that Australia is going to do very much. I'd just take that as a friendly warning that America is kind of in a rut at the moment and to go around making an enemy of the 'many' is not the greatest idea ever. As previously stated, there are other nations more willing to part with technological advances that Australia is more than happy to consult. But we thought it best to approach you first with the offer due to our prior (and hopefully continually) cordial relations. We take this as an insult though. Surely some concessions could be made to soften the blow? Australia eagerly awaits a carefully considered response.
flyingchicken said:
As a world leader in industrial and military might, we can be hardly called "in a rut." As a leading member of ASTRIS, giving its lesser members (i.e. like Australia, Brazil, Israel, and India) unprecedented colonization capacity, America is stung by the words of Australia's leaders. This slight, however, is forgiven, if only to preserve the unity of the ASTRIS organization.

In any case, America does not want to divulge its military secrets to Australia.
The13thRonin said:
Heh, America leads the ASTRIS? Maybe America has forgotten that it just joined a few decades ago! Australia has been part of the ASTRIS for much longer. Just a "Lesser Member's" two cents.
flyingchicken said:
Seniority gives way to reality. Also, America does not lead ASTRIS. We are a leader within it, for the official leader of the group is the Russian Federation.
  1. Attempted acquisition of space-weapons technology (as evidenced by the lack of denial upon assumption of "naval" as referring to space-based weaponry) in violation of the ASTRIS treaty.
  2. Blackmail of an ASTRIS member for trade of said weaponry with the threat of going to other, non-ASTRIS sources for it (as no other ASTRIS member but Russia possesses space-weapons technology).
  3. Generally being an ass.
You've done quite a lot wrong already. You seem to have started a trend, as a matter of fact.

Regardless of all aforementioned factors I will not be ordered around by the likes of you, especially when instead of articulating your sentiments in a pleasant manner you seem to throw out accusations like they're going out of style.
Seems to betray a rather strong desire to leave the alliance quickly when all's told, if you ask me.

Couldn't this be a more pleasant exchange of banter? I'd rather not start a flame-war.
Rather late.

(as no other ASTRIS member but Russia possesses space-weapons technology).

[OOC] Makes sense that it would be an offense to ask America for it then.

Rather late.

Well I'm sad you see it that way, but I know with time you'll change your mind as I never meant no harm. I'm still quite happy to extend the olive branch of friendship :). And I don't mean that in a smarmy, 'I'm better than you because I'm more reasonable/friendly/likable' way or whatever. I really do mean that. [/OOC]

A bit out of context: I'm sorry if I'm a little bit rusty on ASTRIS conditions. I still haven't bookmarked that page yet (my fault) and literally looking for it every time I need to quote the law sparks up my terminal laziness.

Makes sense that it would be an offense to ask America for it then.
OOC: Oh right, and of course asking for a completely inappropriate technology trade (I'll give you antibiotics for spaceships and lasers, hurr hurr! :crazyeye:) and threatening to go to rivals to get what you want if they don't comply is totally the way to make friends and reassure your allies after you make highly questionable commentary in the thread! What a masterful grip on diplomatic tact and reason you're displaying. Good gracious my decorum is truly dreadful and trollish in light of such superior skills at introducing oneself.

Well I'm sad you see it that way, but I know with time you'll change your mind as I never meant no harm. I'm still quite happy to extend the olive branch of friendship :).
And I'm quite happy to tell you where to stick it unless you'd like to retract pretty much everything you've said and elect to start playing in bloody character instead of both entertaining and trying to act upon the notion you're going to get anywhere further than you already have by trying not just to rock the boat but to tip it over.

OOC: Oh right, and of course asking for a completely inappropriate technology trade (I'll give you antibiotics for spaceships and lasers, hurr hurr! :crazyeye:) and threatening to go to rivals to get what you want if they don't comply is totally the way to make friends and reassure your allies after you make highly questionable commentary in the thread! What a masterful grip on diplomatic tact and reason you're displaying. Good gracious my decorum is truly dreadful and trollish in light of such superior skills at introducing oneself.

And I'm quite happy to tell you where to stick it unless you'd like to retract pretty much everything you've said and elect to start playing in bloody character instead of both entertaining and trying to act upon the notion you're going to get anywhere further than you already have by trying not just to rock the boat but to tip it over.

[OOC] I retract everything, I was so wrong, you are so right, I owe you lunch :rolleyes:.

Happy yet *sigh*? [/OCC]

Top Bottom