CPU usage is enormous

Well, I don't know if it's better. But it doesn't try to access my floppy drive in any case. I'm sure you have a much better idea than me of what these patches actually do...

Does this FC output give you enough information?
[hex offset]: [left file byte] [right file byte]
civ2v11.exe is the original executable, civ2nocd.exe is the no-CD patched version I have, civ2alt.exe Catfish's no-CD patched version...

Code:
D:\Games\Test of Time>fc civ2v11.exe civ2nocd.exe
civ2v11.exe and civ2nocd.exe
0012B00B: E8 90
0012B00C: AF 90
0012B00D: 00 90
0012B00E: 00 90
0012B00F: 00 90
001B4BDA: E8 90
001B4BDB: 21 90
001B4BDC: 01 90
001B4BDD: 00 90
001B4BDE: 00 90

D:\Games\Test of Time>fc civ2v11.exe civ2alt.exe
civ2v11.exe and civ2alt.exe
0012B001: 0F EB
0012B002: 8D 04
0012B015: 0F EB
0012B016: 84 04
0012B167: 0F EB
0012B168: 85 04
0012B221: 0F EB
0012B222: 85 04

FYI, in Internet Multiplayer, the Test of Time patch (the second one) results in absurdly long AI turns. Like, at least half a minute *per civ color*. We had to revert to the CPU-gobbling version.

Also, my MP opponent says it took the EXE almost half a minute to actually launch the program, but I suspect that might have more to do with his dubious machine than the patch. I experienced no such startup delay.

Just thought you might like to know :blush:

timbatron said:
Good lord, do you people ever run out of versions? ;-)
Believe it or not, there are a couple more. :D

Mercator said:
civ2v11.exe is the original executable, civ2nocd.exe is the no-CD patched version I have, civ2alt.exe Catfish's no-CD patched version...
I swapped those bytes in Tim's patched version. I got the 10 second launch time, minus the attempt to access the floppy drive.

On multi-player games: I rarely ever play them, so I didn't test it out earlier. Just now I tried to fire up an Original game over a LAN. No success, I'm afraid. Once it arrived at the build world phase that's where it stayed. Eventually I quit the application with the Task Manager. I tried both of my machines; same result. I was able to start a Hot Seat game without a problem.

I've been using this routinely for scenario development since late November 2006 with no major problems (only slight delays on startup, which may be due to my security suite). Who else is playing the game with this version?

Thanks Timbatron! :thumbsup:

Other than the slight delay on startup and the impossibly long world-building times in multi-player (see above), I haven't had any problems with it. Since October last year I haven't used any other version – mind you, I haven't played Civ2 since last year. I passed it on to someone else who plays the standard game in single-player mode. They haven't reported any problems.

BTW, I found the source of the troubles outlined in post 36. ZoneAlarm Pro was the culprit. It even messed with the functions in AXE, one time resulting in a corrupt SAV file. I've switched to Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. Problem free.

Good lord, this post is years old. It's like the post that never dies :)

Anyway, I know exactly why it's crashing. You're using a french version of windows. Some german dude emailed me a while back pointing out a mistake I made in the first hack, and I realized it would probably only work on english versions of windows.

The ToT version should work fine though, I did that one the "right" way. I might get around to fixing the MGE version, but I'm on my laptop in the middle of france, with no access to my desktop... so that won't happen for awhile.

Thanks a lot, Timbatron, for a so fast answer. Effectively I'm using a french windows version (I'm french, ...), and now I know where is the problem.

I tried using the ToT patch, but:
1) My antivirus goes crazy with your file (virus Packed.Win32.PePatch.dk); I used it anyway but that's strange, no ?
2) It didn't work: when I launch the game with this new .exe, I have an error message saying that it can't find a folder called "Original" in the game directory; and if I create such a folder, there is no more error message, but nothing happened at all when I launch it.

Concerning Alpha Centaury, I tried it many years ago; but even if it's a good game, I prefer Civilization because Space/futur background is not what I prefer.

That's actually quite cool that a virus checker noticed that the exe had been modified. I'm not sure what it noticed, but I assume stuff I modified in the PE header set off alarms (thus PePacked.dk I guess?).

Anyway, the ToT patch needs to be used with the ToT version of Civ2. I don't know if you're trying to use it with the MGE version, but that won't work. I can probably fix the MGE version at some point, but no promises on when it'll get done :)

I'll post on here if I get it done.

Yes, I tried to use the ToT patch on an MGE install, because I thought that he was what you said I should do in your first answer ...

So I will wait, hopping that you can find a little time one day to work back on the MGE patch for french windows version, lol.

At least, thanks again for answering so fast and trying to help me. I really appreciate.:thumbsup:

Just for verification purposes: since the change in languages is only done through the civ.ini file, do you still get the error message if you set the language the English instead of French?

In fact, Titi, I use civ2 installed in english version (for commodity because most of the scenarii, modpacks ... are in english).
But apparently my compatibility problem with the patch is because my WINDOWS is a french version. There is no problem between my french windows and civ2 in english in the classic way, but some changes made by Timbatron are apprently dedicated only to work correctly with an english WINDOWS version.

It's not just at the end of the turn though - the usage seems to also go high whilst the AI is taking its turn(s) & whilst looking at the city screen (but not if looking at the build list). Could those possibly be fixed in MGE too?

It's not just at the end of the turn though - the usage seems to also go high whilst the AI is taking its turn(s) & whilst looking at the city screen (but not if looking at the build list). Could those possibly be fixed in MGE too?
I support this.

Top Bottom