[QUESTION] How do you use Steam Workshop Mods on the Mac Version?

The game software is now embedded in a package at

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app

Once you get to this package you can Open Package and it looks like the one that comes from the App Store. So the MainMenu.lua file is at :

Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

However, I have confirmed that commenting the usual line in this file does not enable the mods menu item. I suspect more drastic surgery may have been done by Aspyr to prevent us from enabling mods on the Mac version.

Hhhmm... now that's an answer I'd like to hear!!

I understand that there were issues with the format that some of the mods used when presented with the Mac OS, but is this still the case - and does the Windows version of Civ V have issues when updated to 1.0.1.674?

I've done a BBEdit multi-file scan of the whole Assets directory, and found this file:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC/Expansion/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

This has the same code in it as the one we all know and love, and if I edit that one ... the Mods menu pears and show me all my old mods. I'll leave it to others to discover whether any of them still work.

Re. Aspyr and mods - I suspect they just don't want to be hassled by people complaining about mods not working. They probably don't have the resources to test their ported code for mod compatibility. And remember that as soon as Firaxis releases the custom DLL source code, we'll be in the same bind on Civ5 as we are on Civ4. All the best mods will quickly require a recompiled DLL, and we'll have an almost-useless Mods button.

Yeah...I don't have Gods and Kings...and there is no "Expansion" folder anywhere in Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/DLC/...

Is there a way around this without getting G&K?

Have you tried editing the file I referred to in post #21? Gods & Kings is treated like DLC in the game. You switch it on and off in the DLC window. So maybe when it is either not present, or not switched on, the game behaves as it did before, and just uses the original MainMenu.lua file.

I actually found this, while you are at ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/Modding/ModsMenu.xml

Code:
            <GridButton Anchor="C,T" ID="MultiPlayerButton"   Size="320,45"    Style="ZoomButton" String="TXT_KEY_MODDING_MULTIPLAYER">
                <ShowOnMouseOver>
                    <AlphaAnim Anchor="L,T" Size="320,48" Pause="0" Cycle="Bounce" Speed="1" AlphaStart="1.5" AlphaEnd="1">
                        <Grid   Size="320,48" Offset="0,-2" Padding="0,0" Style="Grid9FrameTurnsHL" />
                    </AlphaAnim>
                    <AlphaAnim Anchor="L,T" Size="320,48" Pause="0" Cycle="Once" Speed="1" AlphaStart=".2" AlphaEnd="0">
                        <Image Anchor="R,C" Offset="0,0" AnchorSide="O.I" Texture="Assets/UI/Art/WorldView/WindowGlowRight.dds" Size="42,86" />
                        <Image Anchor="L,C" Offset="0,0" AnchorSide="O.I" Texture="Assets/UI/Art/WorldView/WindowGlowLeft.dds" Size="42,86" />
                    </AlphaAnim>

</ShowOnMouseOver>
What I noticed was the fact it said "String="TXT_KEY_MODDING_MULTIPLAYER">"

Also, if you just go to the Modding folder, it has xml files for ALL the panels for modding.
EDIT: Just realized I need to use the LUA files. /me facepalms

Almost everything works for me on my Mac. I commented out the line in MainMenu.lua, and I can even click a "Get Mods" button within the Mods menu and open the Steam Workshop. However, the moment I click on a mod the workshop stops working, and tries to fool me into believing that it's still processing my request when logically it should have been done doing so minutes ago. Is there a *.lua file or something I have to edit to make it work? Or is it a Steam problem?

It's a problem with the Civ V not actually having the code to be able to grab the files. I think.

You can't use the Get Mods button in the Mac version. The Mac version is not intended to use mods, and has no capability to download them. This was true in Civ4 and it has been true in Civ5 since it was first released for Mac OS. The only reason we can even see that button is because we have hacked the game software to display it. See my post #24 above.

You can't use the Get Mods button in the Mac version. The Mac version is not intended to use mods, and has no capability to download them. This was true in Civ4 and it has been true in Civ5 since it was first released for Mac OS. The only reason we can even see that button is because we have hacked the game software to display it. See my post #24 above.

I haven't seen this button previously, even though I saw the "mods" button after my first modification of MainMenu.lua. Then the game did some odd update where the appname became "Civilization V: Gods & Kings" even though I did not purchase G&K. Perhaps this absurdity is a part of the problem.

Windows players used to be able to look for mods online. It was a tab option instead go a Get Mods button. The same applied then - it was irrelevant for Mac players.

Steam Workshop is the new way for Windows users to get mods, and that's what the Get Mods button is for. Steam Workshop is enabled by the latest patch which takes your Civ5 to version 1.0.1.674. Gods and Kings is a new DLC expansion kit for Civ5, and for some reason all copies of Civ5 are renamed whether you have bought Gods and Kins or not.

What problem are you now trying to solve?

Check out this post to re-enable your mods, post G&K update (For people who do not own G&K)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11586367&postcount=27

YES! It did work for me! Now I can see the mods and select them... and even start playing... GREAT!! THANKS!!

Only bummer I found so far with the RED WWII mod is that all the tanks/ships/gunmen... appear as swordsman! Probably some problem with the mod file or the way I installed/unzipped it... will try reinstalling...

THIS WORKS IF YOUR PROBLEM IS SEEING YOUR MODS ON THE IN GAME SCREEN... WORKS BOTH ON STEAM AND APP STORE VERSIONS... CAMPAIGN EDITION AND G&K! Happy modding!

Any mod that is not re-written for the new patch is likely to have problems. The way the game refers to civs, leaders and units has changed in this patch. You will also have trouble with any old save you try to run with the new patch.

Only exception to this seems to be the 511 version of the IGE, In Game Editor.

It seems to still work properly.

Check out this post to re-enable your mods, post G&K update (For people who do not own G&K)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11586367&postcount=27

I tried to follow this, but I don't seem to have any Civilization V.app package, just the same old 'assets' folder as before the update.

I tried replacing the InstalledPanel.xml in the old ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization/assets/UI/FrontEnd/Modding folder, but still no mods button.

That post is only to fix a bug contained IN the mods folder. refer to post 21 in this thread on how to actually fix the menu not showing up.

Ignore the part at the bottom of that post about it not working, that is only if you have G&K.

Thanks. My problem was I didn't understand that the 'Civ 5 G&K' icon is the package; once I realized that and Showed Content I found the file.

Now I have the button, but when I hit it my mods (which are in Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS) don't show up. Do I need to move them elsewhere?

[EDIT]: AHA - now I replaced the InstalledPanel.xml file as per those directions, and my mod now does appear - and seems to even work so far!

Many thanks!!

Any mod that is not re-written for the new patch is likely to have problems. The way the game refers to civs, leaders and units has changed in this patch. You will also have trouble with any old save you try to run with the new patch.

You are probably right, R.E.D WWII definitely does not work properly... tried reinstalling and downloading again... I can see it on the mods menu, I select it, start a game... and all the units are swordsman... Only problem so far. But at least I can see mods button, and the mods contained in my mods folder. Waiting for R.E.D WWII update, I guess...

Top Bottom