I'm new to the ''Civ'' series. What is the best in all the aspects? Civ4 or Civ5?

eternalblue

Chieftain
Hi to everyone... I'm new here in this forum and new on the civilization series. I have a good question to all of the experienced civilization players... I was playing civ5 with all the dlc + the expansion Gods and Kings. without playing any civ game of the series and now I am in love with the civ 5 and gods and kings, I just need it,just need it. so... now I want to play another new game but I have seen in other forums that civ4 with all the expansions is the best more superior and civ5 is not very good.. the question is... Which should I need to play , and what civ is the best: civ4 with all the expansions or civ5 with all the expansions? I just wanna know what from these two should I play, and what makes the difference in all the aspects? I have tried just a little the civ4 yesterday but I'm not used to it.. First I have noticed the graphics are different the fog of war makes it darker and very old in menus,the grid are squares and I don't know , I just like more hexagonal for tactical combat and movement, I,m not used to posibility to ''stack units'' and the techonolgical tree is different in other way... so an proffesional in this game or an experienced player who tried all the franchise or these two , what makes the difference in those 2 games? what is more ''hardcore'', what is the best in all the aspects? and... should I go with another try on civ4 with all the expansions... or just keep playing on civ5 with the expansion gods and kings? help me with an answer... and thanx very much

I havent played civ 4 so cant tell u anythig there. but i like civ 5. and civ 5 will be mutch better now with the new expansion that is coming soon Brave new world. so why not play 5 its a great game:)

I guess it's really just your own opinion.

I started with Civ4 but I only got Warlords for it, and later got Civ5 and G&K. But I really like Civ5, and prefer it probably as much or better than Civ4 Warlords.

You could look at a let's play for Civ4 if you would like, or just try it yourself, but it's up to you.

Edit: Btw, welcome to the forums!

There is no clear answer to that. Civ4 is more complex but Civ5 keeps a steady game flow, so it is mostly a matter of preference. For my part Civ5 is more enjoyable because I was frequently spending 5-10 minutes after the first 50 turns in Civ4 to micro that large ass empire you had. I'm also a fan of 1 unit per tile (yeh, a lot of people hate it but it is way better than "MY SoD IS COMING TO FCK EVERYTHING IN ITS WAY!" imo) and policy wise you get some more choices instead of slavery + draft for high level gameplay.

Overall I stick to Civ5 because matches are faster. With limited time in mind (even if you play all day long) I get more fun out it.

You'll get different answers from different people. Some old grognards loved Civ 4 and hated the changes that were made in Civ 5, while others feel that while Civ 4 was great, that Civ5 is newer and better and they like it more now. So asking others to tell you what you should like, is kinda silly. You may love both if you play them both for a while, or you may not like Civ4 all that much, after playing and loving Civ 5 already. Only you can answer that question. Waiting for a thousand people with two thousand opposing opinions to tell you which you should like, is foolhardy. Just go play and enjoy.

Like others say, it will be down to your personal enjoyment. I played Civ 4 and it didn't appeal to me greatly. Civ 5 I cannot put down. You may find it the other way round, though. Best to experiment with both and see which takes your fancy.

They're really two different games. I've played both games extensively and I continue play both of them at different times, depending on my mood. They are both great games and well worth playing.

Hi to everyone... I'm new here in this forum and new on the civilization series.[/B] I have a good question to all of the experienced civilization players... I was playing civ5 with all the dlc + the expansion Gods and Kings. without playing any civ game of the series and now I am in love with the civ 5 and gods and kings, I just need it,just need it. so... now I want to play another new game but I have seen in other forums that civ4 with all the expansions is the best more superior and civ5 is not very good.. the question is... Which should I need to play , and what civ is the best: civ4 with all the expansions or civ5 with all the expansions? I just wanna know what from these two should I play, and what makes the difference in all the aspects? I have tried just a little the civ4 yesterday but I'm not used to it.. First I have noticed the graphics are different the fog of war makes it darker and very old in menus,the grid are squares and I don't know , I just like more hexagonal for tactical combat and movement, I,m not used to posibility to ''stack units'' and the techonolgical tree is different in other way... so an proffesional in this game or an experienced player who tried all the franchise or these two , what makes the difference in those 2 games? what is more ''hardcore'', what is the best in all the aspects? and... should I go with another try on civ4 with all the expansions... or just keep playing on civ5 with the expansion gods and kings? help me with an answer... and thanx bery much

The thoughtful route would be for you to say what it is you love about Civ5. Once done, people will be able to tell you if there is more or less of this in Civ4.

However, I'll be rash. If you LOVE Civ5 and want more. Stay with 5. There will be another expansion coming out in July.

I haven't play Civ 4 but I love Civ 5. G&K made game far far better and new DLC coming for Civ 5. so, I can say go with Civ 5. :)

As I have pointed out before in similar threads like this one, for me Civ 4 is by far the better game in all respects - I find every single change from Civ 4 to Civ 5 to be inferior. But of course others find Civ 5 better, so it's very much a matter of personal opinon.

One question you should ask yourself however, is how important history is for you and how important it is that a game like Civ is historically plausible. Civ 5 didn't place much value on this aspect at all, and basically all major features, the economical system, diplomacy, governments, warfare, influence of city states, and the tech tree, are historically implausible or downright misleading. Civ 4 on the other hand tries to depict these different elements in a much more sensible and historically accurate way. If you don't care about history and just want to play a game, then this might not matter to you though.

So my advice would be, if you are interested in history, get Civ 4. If you are not so interested in history... get Civ 4 anyway! :p

I would say, get civ4 in one of the steam sales, and try it your self. Civ4 complete is really cheap in steam sales, and with that price, you really don't miss anythng. In the side note, I think you would enjoy civ4 if you learn to deal with stacks which can be very frustrating and almost game breaking sometimes.

Civ 4 and Civ 5 are different enough that you can play them simultaneously and enjoy both. Civ 4's main advantage is that it was designed as a platform for multiplayer gaming and easy modding; you'll see that both really took off, with the latter leading to some truly amazing mods. Beyond the Sword alone is worth it for all the content that was crammed in there. I still think it's the best expansion pack ever made.

That said, I enjoy Civ 5 as much and perhaps more. The game mechanics are clarified and cleared up to be more like a Euro-style board game. Ed Beach (the current designer) has substantially improved the game by doubling down on that approach with his background in designing historical-themed board games. You'll see that with how each scenario and civ's unique ability puts an interesting twist on one aspect of gameplay. I personally find that rather satisfying, even if Civ 5 is a pale comparison to Civ 4 in terms of modding and multiplayer.

It's really difficult to answer. I've played every Civ, and the most enjoyment I've had I think is with Civ IV modded with either Rhye's, Revolutions or Fall From Heaven. However, now I play only Civ V. I've tried playing Civ IV again, but it just feels a bit dated to me now.

In my honest opinion, Civ IV is the worst in the series, but that's probably because I loved Civ II and Civ III so much!

Civ V is more different to other Civs than any other version, so I'm going to say what I say to everyone: If you like one-unit-per-tile, stick with Civ V. If you want to experience stacked units, try 2 and/or 3. If you want to be bitterly disappointed, try Civ IV. There are other core mechanics unique to each game, but essentially 1UPT is the deal-maker or deal-breaker for most Civ-peeps.

so... first of all I want just to thank to all of you for these great oppinions and for all your answers... finaly i think that I will just play civ5 with gods and kings expansion and wait for the expansion .... I think yes.. you are right all of you: those who loved so much civ4 they will play civ4 and they will se that civ5 is different and will not give it much chance ... and all of people who had played civ5 they will see that civ4 is dated because of stacking units and squares I don't know and graphics and this black fog of war what makes it darker.. I like very much the tactical mechanics form civ5 in fighting and city states, the influence of religion and espionage, the personal civ abbilities with much influence in the game and how the liders are made... and yes very gorgeous graphics I just enjoy every single turn and moment exploring the map that beautiful is... I can wait to see the new 9 liders from expansion and the influence of tourism and culture in many ways... thanx very much to all.. and let's play... let's start some golden ages... !!! :D

one unit per tile went right direction. although it should be "one type of unit" per tile but thats just me. ( melee, ranged,siege)

Whether Civ 4 is superior to Civ 5 I won't answer here (I personally slightly prefer the Civ 4 base game, although Civ 5 is smoother, mainly because the 1 UPT completely clutters things up in the late game). However, if you try out the various Civ4 modmods such as modmods of A New Dawn, Rhye's and Fall of Civilization and Fall From Heaven 2, you will probably not be disappointed. Some of them are actually worth paying Civ 5's price for IMHO.

If civ5 is your first civ game you will like 5 better.

If civ4 was amazing and the reason you bought civ5, there's a 50/50 chance you'll be disappointed.

Honestly if you are in love with civ5 I'd probably just stick with it. Civ4 has a lot more to learn and may be frustrating before it gets truly epic.

I have a good question to all of the experienced civilization players...
You are probably asking the wrong people on the wrong sub-forum.

Instead of giving you an answer, I have a question for you.
Why do you want to play civ4 if you love civ5 so much?
Is your mind telling you something?

I've watched most of the videos in the next link (Let's play civ5 Deity : the Celts).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtTEgO3HE40
Every turn the same procedure; unit shuffling, firing your range units at the helpless AI, resources selling to the AI which has already +50 happiness. Next turn.

Well, I can tell you civ4 doesn't play that way.

You are probably asking the wrong people on the wrong sub-forum.

Instead of giving you an answer, I have a question for you.
Why do you want to play civ4 if you love civ5 so much?
Is your mind telling you something?

I've watched most of the videos in the next link (Let's play civ5 Deity : the Celts).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtTEgO3HE40
Every turn the same procedure; unit shuffling, firing your range units at the helpless AI, resources selling to the AI which has already +50 happiness. Next turn.

Well, I can tell you civ4 doesn't play that way.

hi tatran... i like civ5 with the expansion and I just have the curiosity if civ4 it's superior or better asking people that they know because I'm new with this kind of game... for that reason... ok so, you just tell me that you don't like civ5 and you are just ok with playing civ4.. ok so tell me... in wich way is more superior? and how I will just be ok playing and stack units without 1UPT .. this I don't understand how it's working in combat and what will be the reason to change and play civ4? what's the big difference... this I just want to know... and the video that you just posted... I was playing 5 games of civ5 G&K full from ancient era to future with all sorts of victories on prince level and with 22 civs and 41 city states on earth map... and it didn't happened what is in this video... it was 50% and 50% in all the aspects me and AI without advantages and disadvantages... was 5 good games without broken AI or something , it was runing natural in all the aspects... for this I like it so much...

Top Bottom