Ideologies: Three Factories or Modern Era?

Which method of adopting an ideology do you prefer?

• Total voters
I could see the factories approach being problematic for Venice. He can't buy a City State until his first Gt Merchant of Venice from researching Optics. Thereafter, it takes a llllloooooonnnnnnggggg time to get that second CS purchase (to allow for the possibility of building three factories). I recently played an Emperor game and gaining Great Prophets and Gt Scientists kept driving up the Gt Merchant price just before a GM would have triggered. If I recall correctly, I didn't get that 2nd Gt Merchant until just prior to the Industrial era. Allowing for the additional time to research Industrialization, building up the newly acquired CS (which always seem to be about an era behind in city development when purchased), Venice will be waaaaayyyyy behind nearly every other civ in acquiring its first Ideology.

I'm currently playing as Venice right now, and you're dead on. Although I have 4 cities right now, thanks to a Merchant of Venice and a war with Poland :p

The problem is that puppeted cities prioritize gold, so they pretty much won't build a factory. Rush-buying them is too expensive, and besides, factories are pretty useless in a puppeted city anyway. So I'm currently in the process of teching to the modern era, but unfortunately that's putting me way behind ideologically. The good news is I can see what other civs are adopting, and factor that into my decision.

Factories, I want to get into Ideology as fast as I can (plus, two free perks are nice if you get it first).

alto, sometimes there's just not enough coil, or coil at all (for eg. British Isles map sometimes doesn't have coal, or has one or two "within CS boarders" that they never actually get, just listed as CS having it) so you have to wait till modern.

Domination victories are really slow.
Well, "fast" =/= "playing good"

The way tommynt expressed his opinion made it seem he believed the only way to 'play good' is to 4 city tradition for a science victory by turn 300 (or whatever the current record is).
Yeah, I agree with you. Tommynt seems to be dissing strategies other than the One True Way to Play (tm).

Most people like playing different ways. If I played the same way every game, I would have quit Civ years ago.

So, on topic, as I said a couple of screens up, sometimes beeline, sometimes 3 factories. Each has its pros/cons.

It's a simple question whether I'm rushing for Radio or researching military techs or waiting for another industrial GWAM. In sum, whatever comes first.

There is no specific bonus for getting all of the tenants, no. The game doesn't really want you to anyways, you're supposed to pick up the ones that are directly beneficial to your VC of choice.

There is no specific bonus for getting all of the tenants, no. The game doesn't really want you to anyways, you're supposed to pick up the ones that are directly beneficial to your VC of choice.

In fact, the 3 Tier Three tenets each correspond to the 3 VCs that the Ideology is aimed at. So taking more than one Tier Three tenet would be counterproductive. Unless you still haven't decided which VC you're striving for; which really should have been done long before you selected the 4 Tier One and 3 Tier Two tenets that would allow you to take 2 Tier Three tenets, and ideally should've been done before you chose your Ideology in the first place.

In fact, the 3 Tier Three tenets each correspond to the 3 VCs that the Ideology is aimed at. So taking more than one Tier Three tenet would be counterproductive. Unless you still haven't decided which VC you're striving for; which really should have been done long before you selected the 4 Tier One and 3 Tier Two tenets that would allow you to take 2 Tier Three tenets, and ideally should've been done before you chose your Ideology in the first place.

Pretty much all the Order tenets are useful for every vc, other than the tourism tenets for non culture victories. Or would you not take the free scientist and engineer in tier 3 for every VC, or the 50% extra food and production from trade routes?

Pretty much all the Order tenets are useful for every vc, other than the tourism tenets for non culture victories. Or would you not take the free scientist and engineer in tier 3 for every VC, or the 50% extra food and production from trade routes?

I'm not sure which tenets you're referring to, but here are the Order Tier 3 tenets (from Arioch's Well Of Souls page):

•Level 3◦Dictatorship of the Proletariat: +34% Tourism to civilizations that have less Happiness.

Not sure that it would be very useful for anything BUT a CV.

◦Iron Curtain: Free Courthouse upon city capture.

You don't do too much city capturing (at least not enough to NEED this tenet) unless you're going DomV

◦Spaceflight Pioneers: May finished Spaceship parts with Great Engineers. +10 Science in Capital City.

Again, you won't need this unless going for SV.

I'm not sure which tenets you're referring to, but here are the Order Tier 3 tenets (from Arioch's Well Of Souls page):

•Level 3◦Dictatorship of the Proletariat: +34% Tourism to civilizations that have less Happiness.

You don't do too much city capturing (at least not enough to NEED this tenet) unless you're going DomV

◦Spaceflight Pioneers: May finished Spaceship parts with Great Engineers. +10 Science in Capital City.
These ones are old, check in game to see how they work in the latest patch.

Again, you won't need this unless going for SV.

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Ideology_(Civ5)

2 out of 3 are useful for anything. 1 is Cultural Victory only.

These ones are old, check in game to see how they work in the latest patch.

Well, that's what I get for getting data from another website because I'm at work and don't have access to the actual game :(

ideally (no pun intended) i want my empire to actually have the Coal, and normally i can outright buy 2 of the 3 Factories that are necessary.

if no Coal then i have to resort to beelining Radio which i'll bulb for.

but yeah i'd rather the Factories since typically around this time i want to be going on the bottom half of the TTree: Industrialization/Rifling vs. Archeology/Scientific Theory. and yeah i know that Scientific Theory is supposed to be top priority but it's not how i prefer to do it. i mean at worst it only means taking Sci.Theory 1 tech later and onward to Radio.

Top Bottom