• the AI non-mastery of the sea

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • bad city-focus and bad automated workers

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • the AI that never pays tribute in face of imminent danger

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • the AI lack of will in mass-invading other continents

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • the AI that can't use aircrafts properly (if they do use them..)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • the denouncing. sorry but...i don't like it

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • hostile civs asking for 10 luxuries for an open-border (yeah right!)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • barbarian ships.. eee what's their point?

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • liberated civs who call you a warmonger (didn't i just save your ...?)

Votes: 47 37.6%
  • no permanent alliance like in civ4? why???

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bro

Emperor of Quebec
ok i have enough of being fed up with AI and diplomatic bugs here and there so time to say what is the problem that you can't deal with and which annoys you the most.

sorry if i'm complaining a lot but you can't upgrade a game without knowing what's bad!

[x] the common poor comprehension of it. (Diplomacy)

This!

Nevertheless I voted the "liberation issue". That's clearly a bug as there is no reason why a mayor civ should act differently to a CS at this point.

I could have voted the "aircraft issue", too. As mentioned in an other thread, target finding of aircrafts needs some work, too. It is a clever thing to bomb down city health (e.g. of a just occupied city) to take it back. But if there are no ground forces to do so it is pointless. Keep hunting down the invading forces!
Additionally, if the enemy has aircrafts himslef, keep some fighters guarding to counter his air strikes.

Edit: thinking over it again, I should have voted "aircrafts"! The liberation issue is very rare (at least for me), but aircrafts do occur in every game (if it lasts long enough).

My biggest problem with the AI is that it neither tries to win consistently nor sandboxes. It needs to pick one and actually do it.

On this list, probably the hatred for you for bringing back into the game. However, a permanent alliance mechanic (perhaps similar/tied to liberating someone) would be welcome also, because it would give diplomacy a true meaning; it wouldn't necessarily be a true zero-sum game.

the fact that there is very little to improve your relationships with the AI, compared to the half page of things that ruin your relationship to the AI.

The AI needs more positive diplo modifiers for sure, but not to the point where the AI can be effectively gamed. Ie the positive diplo modifiers need to be there but it needs to be made so that a player has to put extra effort in to repair a broken down relationship with another civ.

the fact that there is very little to improve your relationships with the AI, compared to the half page of things that ruin your relationship to the AI.

This. A lot of the diplomacy issues would be fixed if this were implemented. I know there was apparently a bug (fixed in the last patch) which somehow capped the value of positive modifiers you could earn, but there are still (I think) something like twice the amount of negative modifiers as positive. In addition I think a gradual normalising of some modifiers should occur and there should be others that actually increase in magnitude over time (long wars/trading partnerships).

As for the AI, needs work on city placement, particularly stopping useless city-spam.

The AI needs more positive diplo modifiers for sure, but not to the point where the AI can be effectively gamed. Ie the positive diplo modifiers need to be there but it needs to be made so that a player has to put extra effort in to repair a broken down relationship with another civ.

Exactly.

It needs to be tweaked a bit, but overall I think works well.

In IV, things like many years of peace and good trading relations with another Civ would be strong positive modifiers. Those make total sense, and they seem to be largely missing in V.

In IV, things like many years of peace and good trading relations with another Civ would be strong positive modifiers. Those make total sense, and they seem to be largely missing in V.

Yeah. These things made it possible to keep up a good relationship. In Civ V, the AI doesn't value this at all, which is probably one reason why (for no reason at all) almost every Civ in my last game either denounced or declared war on me, even when we were "friendly" and had no negative modifiers between each other. They need to make the AI Civs less denounce/DoW happy, and need to add some depth to diplomacy.

The thing I really want to vote is a limited number of positive modifiers. It's better than before. You can Dec Friendship with certain Civs and Denounce the ones they hate. But, aside from returning workers, that's it. Certainly could use a bit more to balance things out.

The thing I really want to vote is a limited number of positive modifiers. It's better than before. You can Dec Friendship with certain Civs and Denounce the ones they hate. But, aside from returning workers, that's it. Certainly could use a bit more to balance things out.

That, and the lack of memory decay for bad acts, if you get one negative modifier it's there for the rest of history. Once a person is no longer friendly you cannot make them friendly again! A guarded person never gets back to friendly, meaning every deal is forever a ripoff with them.

Make repairing relationships possible, please.

The liberated AI thing is the worst listed bug, however. I save Askia and he denounces me, real great. he should start out as my BFF and then he can get annoyed with me as the case may be.

Sorry, but your quickie-poll only roughly touches on a few of the many, many bad aspects of both diplomacy and AI- you would have to have two separate polls, and to be even semi-inclusive of all the legitimate gripes, they would probably have to have 20+ items for each ;)

I wanted to group-choose most of the things you listed, just choosing one out of the pot is not at all satisfying.

Largely = completely

It's all about the negatives, to deliberately provoke as many wars as possible, as fast as possible. It is a war simulator after all, not a civ builder. Things that might alleviate this, were left out. You have to walk a fine tightrope act of invariably doing one stupid diplomacy pet-trick after another, down the checklist, over and over, to keep from constantly being denounced and DOW'ed, even by civs that should be great friends.

The inability to create meaningful, genuine, long-lasting friendly diplomatic relations has forced me to turn to war as the only means of diplomacy.

I voted for the liberated Civs calling you a warmonger but really you could make a convincing argument for all of the above.

It isn't realistic or fun at all.

where is the option "All of the above and more"?

More being:
- Sitting on a pile of money while "trying to win" and your forces obliterate their empire without the "AI that plays to win" trying to rush build some defences with its pile of money.
- Denounciation as a National Sport Wonder...

deffenetly the denouncing system it is just so frustrating the it just results in a chain reaction that results in everyone declaring war on you

the denoucing deffenitly is annoying i hope they fix it or i will sell my game of the year edition on ebay i just dont have any fun any more...

I hope they fix it this is just a crappy design it feels like i am playing a beta game even it has had so many DLC and patches dude firaxis what are you doing smoking crack?

The denouncing system deffinitly.......... Just makes chain reactions that result in that every AI will hate you and atack you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom