Monty is bored. Monty makes WAR!

Callonia

Deity
This thread is about the new Conquest of the new world deluxe dlc which was snuck into everyone's steam account like a ninja. Or a pirate.

After pondering on what faction to select, because I selected spain in old dlc, thus it was time for something new. I select Aztecs. I want war, I want to be pwnt by Europe.

But for first 50ish turns, nothing happened. I went full on Monty and attacked a city state of Kambemb. It fell to my valourous jaguars. There was human waves of jaguars. It was great, thousands of skulls was collected and many a hearts got sacrificed to the sun god.

Shoshone tribe started to hiss at me about wiping out the kambemb puny tribe. Me and Shoshone denounce each other.

My jaguars march upon shoshone borders.

Shoshone swordmen/crossbowmen march upon my borders.

I realize I'm just 3 turns away from musketmen so I decide to sit and chill for 3 turns then instantly upgrade every single jaguar in glorious aztec empire in one turn and accidently unlocked third tier tenet policy, it should be obvious by now, I selected the one which gives 6 comanche riders. War has been declared.

Shoshone lose three cities in short order. One of them is given in peace treaty.
Inca grumble and decide to ask why I am hiding in the shadows like a child.
Silly Inca, I no coward and accept 50+ turn NAP. I told him that it's time for him to die.

Inca gave one city to england immediately to deny me it.

I take his other one to gain me gold mines to better adorn my headdress of skulls. That's good, I didn't want that english one anyways.

Now.. to the heart of this thread..

I got bored so I decided to start murdering my "Friends" when I was all looking forward to fighting it out with Europe and europe disappointed me :(

Difficulty is King.

Which new world factions will allow you to fight plenty of europe?

This dlc is pretty nice but, lacks action.

Monty's Carpet of doom.
Spoiler :

Shoshone's last moments spent in regret for hissing at me.
Spoiler :

I don't think I ever got this many trade routes aimed at me before o.o
It makes me rich :O
Spoiler :

You know you're strong when Europe will rather fight itself than fight last native american faction.
Spoiler :

I have reached Europe with caravels, hohoho.
Perhaps I shall conquer all of europe after building up my Navy with Line of the ships?
Spoiler :

Best of all, this scenario doesn't have a turn time limit if you want to keep on playing because older scenarios will kick you out immediately if you reached the turn limit. o.o

Well, oddly enough, you've been succeeding in war but are actually getting crushed score wise by England. You're also losing to all the European powers. Just kind of want to point that out...

I think the idea is that if you play for victory, your army is not going to be this big, and Europe is going to need to declare war on you. I suppose that's a limitation of the scenario. As the Mayans, I had a ton of interaction trying to fight off the Europeans, and the AI Aztecs were the first to go. Your military buildup must have scared Europe enough to not attack you, and pick on easier targets instead.

Also, you are allowed to spend faith, you know. You don't need to stockpile quite so much.

EDIT: Also, 70 happiness with that much conquering??? How?????

I always lose in score, ignore the score.
AI always win in score but they can't defeat me in the field of battle. That's where things actually matter.
Score only a score of population, cities, soldiers, technology etc.
It just says whoever have most of whatever and doesn't accurate reflect the power balance in game.

After all, a runaway could be a runaway but have super tiny military that gets crushed when whole world dow on it.

I've had games where runaway dow'd on me because their score was like what 100 times mine but couldn't crush me because I kept on pwning them in battles.

I had like about 4 jaguars and 2 archers running around in first 50 turns of the game. Next 100 turns i just grew my military which was basically nothing but jaguars. 1-2 turns to build them in my capital and 2nd city rawr. Then upgraded them all up to musketman, and I'm still building jaguars and upgrading them to musketman for dat woodsman promo!

Combined with my good GPT and treasures from natural wonder plus trades doing that is quite easy. I also had zero navy whatsoever until last 30 turns of the game where I started to get caravels and frigates built.

And Faith, eh, I don't have anything to spend it on at the moment so it piles up. Oh and Great prophet in this dlc costs approximately 1 million faith to buy xD

I have open borders and all to everyone except for England who is openly hostile to me cuz I took shoshone out which was her buddies in war against inca. While Portugal is likely planning a backstab on me.

And ok thank U I will try for Mayans next time to see how the interaction with europe goes for me.

About happiness, it's that high because I found an option that firaxis thought about using but decided against it in the xml. I just simply took advantage of it to make my games in Civ 5 Fun instead of a snoozefest most of times.

Its that high because I'm connecting with even more and more luxuries available in this dlc. Most recent one was gold I think. I could've had jewelery but I wiped out the kambemb tribe because I was bored. Basically, if you have one luxury, so it gives you 4 happiness plus you get extra 4 for having a variety of luxury resources. so Two luxuries give you 8 plus other 8. It actually makes creating metropolises a feasible option instead of ruling tiny hamlets.

Despite that, I'm thinking of going back to my old setting of 0 unhappiness per population point, I got so many interesting wars with that in xml for gods n kings xD But then it makes ideology pressure irrelevant. :( Meh.

I always lose in score, ignore the score.
AI always win in score but they can't defeat me in the field of battle. That's where things actually matter.

In an ordinary game I'd agree with you (especially considering score doesn't matter in who gets the victory 99% of the time), but the scenario is designed with the intent that the game ends after 150 turns, and the person with the highest score wins. That generally gives most people an incentive to care about score and they changed the scoring system to fit with the scenario. Now, you seem to be having fun with this, so I don't want to say you're playing it wrong, but you're not playing the way the designers intended this scenario to be played, and that's a big reason why Europe isn't being aggressive.

In an ordinary game I'd agree with you (especially considering score doesn't matter in who gets the victory 99% of the time), but the scenario is designed with the intent that the game ends after 150 turns, and the person with the highest score wins. That generally gives most people an incentive to care about score and they changed the scoring system to fit with the scenario. Now, you seem to be having fun with this, so I don't want to say you're playing it wrong, but you're not playing the way the designers intended this scenario to be played, and that's a big reason why Europe isn't being aggressive.

Why is europe isn't being aggressive then?

Why is europe isn't being aggressive then?

Because you're ignoring the point system in favor of building a larger and larger military. If you play the game optimally for points (which is the way most people play scenarios, because that's the victory condition of scenarios), then you'll be creating a lot more settlers and temples and choosing faith bonuses and stuff. Instead, you're basically trying to get as strong a military as you can as fast as you can, which makes you have a military that is much stronger than most people would have in this game. This is doing enough to make Europe afraid of you. If you were playing for victory, your military would be smaller and Europe would be much more aggressive.

As I said, if that's what you want to do and you're having fun, then keep doing that! I am the last type of person to say there's a correct way to play any game, because games are supposed to be fun, and if everyone is having fun a game is succeeding. :)

Because you're ignoring the point system in favor of building a larger and larger military. If you play the game optimally for points (which is the way most people play scenarios, because that's the victory condition of scenarios), then you'll be creating a lot more settlers and temples and choosing faith bonuses and stuff. Instead, you're basically trying to get as strong a military as you can as fast as you can, which makes you have a military that is much stronger than most people would have in this game. This is doing enough to make Europe afraid of you. If you were playing for victory, your military would be smaller and Europe would be much more aggressive.

As I said, if that's what you want to do and you're having fun, then keep doing that! I am the last type of person to say there's a correct way to play any game, because games are supposed to be fun, and if everyone is having fun a game is succeeding. :)

Ahh didn't know that. Plus the land sucked anyways, I could only settle four cities before I said that's enough because the land sucked hardcore, ok, I have space for one more city but it's all grass and nothing else no production whatsoever so I just ignored it.

Plus I'm monty.... It felt like SUCH a shame to have jaguars and not put them to use.
I only wanted to emulate the AI monty.
Why the europe didn't take me apart while I only had the jaguar horde, I think they had like about 70 turns before i upgraded them all to musketmen. 28 str vs 14 xD

The city which I got from Shoshone in peace treaty... have 0 production. :) I had to buy a workshop and walls and colosseum in it then i just set it to generating wealth.

And thank u for showing me on how to play this scenario, didn't know. I just played like I normally did. xD

You can still work the scenario through war (Monty gets Faith=points for killing units)

You just have to focus on attacking the point leaders
1. If point leaders are Europe, declare war on them and raid their treasures/trade routes (Europe gets faith from gold)

2. If point leaders are other natives, declare war on them and take their cities (which give them faith=points)

Essentially declare war on the score leaders.. and they will be aggressive with you.

I haven't played as a native yet... But it's possible to conquer Europe, right?

I also hate how China is "there" but doesn't do more than give points. I wish they'd at least spawn units :(

I haven't played as a native yet... But it's possible to conquer Europe, right?

I also hate how China is "there" but doesn't do more than give points. I wish they'd at least spawn units :(

Yes, it is. I think it's even a pretty viable strategy to do so if you're playing as a European power. If you're playing as an American, then you theoretically could, but you're not probably not going to get the tech fast enough before the game ends.

lol, I did almost the exact same thing, minus the fighting other Native American Tribes. King Difficulty. I started so far away from them I never had space problems. Same thing happened. I blossomed, got lots of trade routes from Europe which massively boosted my science. Quickly mastered their military and assembled an army of knights, conquistadors, musketmen, comanche, crossbowman, cannons, etc. Europe was surprisingly dissapointing, only really declaring war on the Mayans and more than 2/3 through the game.

The Aztec are OP in the new world. I quickly outpaced the Europeans in score, but that was because of my emphasis on faith (which = score for NA) and got all the New World Wonders. From there I sat on it and watching the gap widen every turn. Got bored like you and marched a massive army over to the European colonies. Beat Spain, Beat England, Beat France, and was on the verge of attacking Austria when the time ran out. Europe only had 4-5 cities left in the new world. I also sailed some ships over the Europe but noticed a weird bug where I couldn't see as if I was a worker unit. Aztecs beast this scenario, I guess we'll have to try a higher difficulty.

Top Bottom