Please help me with my game!

Udan mas

Chieftain
Hello everyone, I need some help with my current game, it is my first time on deity level and I decided to try and go for a diplomatic victory as Germany.

I had a great start with lots of copper but unfortunately stumbled across Attila and Austria within the first 20 turns :mad:

I have attached a screenshot of my land and I was wondering if I should settle a city on the river to the South as I am worried someone else may put one there. Any feedback of any mistakes I have made would be helpful, and i would like to know if I can still win this game or not.

PS: this is my first post on the forum, so sorry if I have left any key info out.

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 23.12.23.jpg

I think it's worth doing, I'd also make some more units since attila is looking shady (pedro could be a risk too). Just block off austrias settler first so that you can take the spot.

Well, Brazil is pretty peaceful, I think. As for Attila, he shouldn't be as much of a threat by the Renaissance.

Thing is, you don't seem to have any units close enough to block that Austrian settler. War seems to be the only option, and then take that spot for yourself before anyone else does.

Thanks for the replies everyone, its difficult to see on the picture but I am already blocking the Austrian settler in so I am going to build my own settler ASAP before anyone embarks to that area.

I have just bribed Attila to declare war on Pedro and the next turn Austria did as well so that will keep my close neighbours busy while I build up my empire.

I was wondering if my science output is to low, I am last in science despite having just built universities and stealing tech. Is 116 science by turn 150 to low or is there still time to catch up? :confused:

the coastal hill on the river looks like a fine spot.

you could have purchased the land between Cologne and the mountain to block the austrian settler, too.

That science is low for Deity, yes. Science is one of the hardest parts of Deity, you won't stand a chance when the wars start if you are out-teched and they always have HUGE armies due to their 50% reduction in all unit costs. Definitely start preparing for war, and build some walls on the border, your cities will fall too quickly without them.

The reason your science is low is due to your population. Your cities need to have more people. try building up an army and emphasizing growth for a century or so and you'll see big improvements. And 3 workers is not enough to improve your 5 cities quickly enough. I recommend a few more--this is why your cities aren't growing quite fast enough. The quicker you can build up your cities the quicker you'll catch up.

definitely settle that spot though. It's nice and if the AI gets it the extra shared borders will most certainly spark a future war--I'm sure they're already thinking about it, but just settling up what's left first. I think this game is definitely winnable though it's hard to tell without seeing all the details. If you haven't yet, finish out the libraries/universities and build oxford and national library in your capital. Doing that may add as much as 40-50 science.

re:
and i would like to know if I can still win this game or not.
View attachment 370784

Probably not. Theodaro is probably way ahead of you on tech and gold. And she's way on the other side of the world. Not much you can do at this point I would say.
The earlier comment about city growth was correct, but probably too late to fix pop now. Interested to hear how it turns out though!
Next game focus more on city population growth earlier in the game.

Hi everyone, I just finished the game and I won a diplomatic victory on turn 288!:D

Shortly after my initial post, Austria wiped out Pedro from the game, but I managed to form an alliance with her to stop any wars for a while. Attila then took out Siam while Theodora killed the ottomans. Next thing I know there are only four people in the game. :eek:

I took your advise and built up my population by using caravans and food city states, and my science output shot up as i concentrated on my economy. I founded Frankfurt on the hill on the river that turned out to be one of my best cities in the end. Austria took order so i felt obliged to do the same to maintain our friendship as she had the most powerful empire at the time. I then bribed Theo and Austria to go to war vs the huns and they were at war for the rest of the game while i build up a strong empire in the background.

Thanks to Austria buying half the city-states, and Attila killing 3 of them, there were only 4 left that I held as strong allies with my 350 GPT. With the world leader election coming up, Theo was building her spaceship but i managed to sell ALL of my luxuries and GPT to to Attila and Austria to vote for me for world leader and i won the game with -20 happiness and -10 GPT!!!

Thank you all for giving me tips for winning my first deity game, does anyone have any good suggestions for my next game? I was thinking of a good civ for late game domination.

Great Job! I've never tried for a Diplomatic Victory as I like playing the Information and Atomic Era, but I often own many of the city states. I did not realize you could bribe other ppl to vote for you! I just thought they wouldn't as that would end the game.

Domination can be a pain on Deity as an awful lot of civs have large militaries. If you want to try it I'd suggest someone that can pace you ahead in science so you have that advantage. America is amazing at late-game domination. Start seriously around gunpowder as their minutemen are quite good at terrain navigation and very resistant to bombardment. Beeline B-17's and watch the world burn. You'll have a hard time doing it with a larger map though as there are just so many ppl. Let me know what you decide! :)

... i managed to sell ALL of my luxuries and GPT to to Attila and Austria to vote for me for world leader and i won the game with -20 happiness and -10 GPT!!!
Interesting ... even with civs I've been bestest friends with entire games, I've *never* ever been able to bribe one of them to vote for me as world leader, no matter how much gold and luxuries I gave them.

I have attached a screenshot of my land and I was wondering if I should settle a city on the river to the South as I am worried someone else may put one there. Any feedback of any mistakes I have made would be helpful, and i would like to know if I can still win this game or not.

If you think the AI is going to settle on the exact same spot you would, you can also just let them found the city and wait a few turns for it to grow and build a few buildings and then puppet it yourself. :devil:

It's when you think the AI would found it in a bad spot one to three tiles away from the correct one that calls for action.

Interesting ... even with civs I've been bestest friends with entire games, I've *never* ever been able to bribe one of them to vote for me as world leader, no matter how much gold and luxuries I gave them.

The way I did it was by purposely loosing my city sate allies to lose delegates in the world congress so that the AI is more likely to accept a trade to vote for you as you don't have enough delegates to win anyway. Then just buy up all of the city sates again to get your old delegates back and win! :D

Domination can be a pain on Deity as an awful lot of civs have large militaries. If you want to try it I'd suggest someone that can pace you ahead in science so you have that advantage. America is amazing at late-game domination. Start seriously around gunpowder as their minutemen are quite good at terrain navigation and very resistant to bombardment. Beeline B-17's and watch the world burn. You'll have a hard time doing it with a larger map though as there are just so many ppl. Let me know what you decide! :)

I was thinking of playing America in my next game but whenever I try to play as them I either get to education for a science boost but lose out on the minute men, or beeline to gunpowder but get WAY behind in tech. What is the best way to make full use out of the minute men without sacrificing the top half of the tech tree? :confused:

The way I did it was by purposely loosing my city sate allies to lose delegates in the world congress so that the AI is more likely to accept a trade to vote for you as you don't have enough delegates to win anyway. Then just buy up all of the city sates again to get your old delegates back and win! :D
That's interesting, I didn't know this worked. That is at the same time both comforting and annoying - comforting, because it shows the AI is not completely insane, and at the same time annoying, because it means you're effectively cut off from winning DV unless you do it by either a) getting enough CS votes to win by those alone, or b) make faux bad play by purposefully losing allies which seems both cumbersome and unprodoctive for your incentive to play the diplomatic game optimally.

Top Bottom