Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Second Cycle

@dalamb:

Who is up for consideration as the leader for the next game? I anxiously await...

tap... tap... tap... (goes Lemon's bunny slipper) :lol:

I don't really have suggestions for maps, but I have to say that I enjoyed plaing the Justinian inland map. Maybe have more specifics maps instead of the regular 1-2 continents one.
For leaders, I was thinking someone who is known to be more religious. What about Isabella, Charlemagne or Montezuma?

We can try any of those in a couple of months when we start the 3rd cycle. By "religious" you could mean 2 things: how the AI plays, and how the human does. As far as AI, Isabella is a prime religious fanatic; she'll go for an early religion and gets more unhappy than most if you have a different one. I haven't known Monty or Charlie to be anywhere near as fanatic, but my experience is limited. Humans are rarely religious fanatics (maybe madscientist once played an RPC that way?!?)

Note for today's map: I haven't heard back from someone who thought they might do one, and have been out of town for more than a week, so today's scheduled map won't happen until I get a chance to create one (possibly tomorrow, but I don't know how long it's going to take to catch up with other stuff).

I'm just putting the final touches on NC 104: Genghis Khan now and will have it posted in an hour or so. I didn't get it done in time for anyone to check it (as this is only my second map creation) but I think it looks good.

One question, if I may - what does events/no events look like in the map script? I just want to make sure that aspect of the game is golden. Marvin told me it's Option=GAMEOPTION_NO_EVENTS, but I can't find that line so far and I'm not positive on where to insert it!

The option lines go in the overall game section at the start, the same section with speed settings and the like. You can always check such things out by creating a custom game with the option set and seeing what happens, which is how I figured it out.

To get no huts, you have to delete the improvement=improvement_goody_huts (with proper capitalization) lines from the begin/end plot groups that have them. You can't see the effects of the no-events option without running the game and waiting long enough to find out that none have happened, which can be a very long time.

Thanks for making the map(s)!

Hi,

My two cents on the maps lately. Admittedly, the Nobles club is targeted towards beginners and people struggling with Noble. However, Civ is a game where the human player will probably not get better until he or she jumps into the 'deep end' so to speak. There is a boundary between a fun map and a joke, I feel that the Nobles club has lately been crossing this boundary and the maps are becoming less and less serious and more of an attempt to have a laugh.

To remind the map creators of the objectives of the Nobles Club:
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

With the maps that have been put on lately, I feel that players are no longer learning or the learning is minimised. Rather, the target seems to be to create a map in which a win should be easy. One does not learn or improve by constantly winning; to learn, one should have to see an actual chance of a loss and how to evade this. Losing itself can be a valuable lesson and the human player can remember and learn from their mistakes. Rather, with such easy maps, the human player will win without a doubt and overlook most if not all mistakes they make.

I hope I didn't offend any of the map makers here; a large population of the fanatics, if not all here really appreciate the effort and time you put in (I included) but I'd just like to post this as some constructive criticism for the Nobles Club and hope to see a future round in which new players will have an opportunity to learn and improve their game. :)

Regards,

Jaffer

I'm not offended personally. My thinking about editing has evolved over time; I've wound up editing less as time progressed, except for the few I consider essential for NC, which I've listed before (such as making sure the UU resource is reasonably nearby). I should probably cut out my other favourite edit, which is adding or rerouting rivers.

A good point that someone made to me privately is that NC maps have to be a balance between what's good for Nobles and what's good for Emperor+, so the latter are willing to play and advise the newbies. Making a map too easy alienates experienced players, while too hard frustrates newbies.

Maybe it's time for another poll, like the one that resulted in no huts/no events being the default save file.

The Oz Man will be creating the September 7 map (if he still has time after my confusion over who is doing Mehmed).

I'm going to start a new thread for the 3rd Cycle bullpen, where the first several posts are all infrastructure like the boilerplate and summary of map creation suggestions/guidelines. It won't be meant for posting by others until I get those first few messages.

Wait, isn't it every two weeks? H-Rex's was 8-31; I wouldn't expect the next one up until 9-14.

It's not a big deal if you want it tomorrow--I have the day off anyway--but I just want to make sure the date is what I expected.

Well, in real-life I'm neither middle-aged nor a business tyrant (more like Optimistic Young Adult Comma Splice Tyrant), so that helps. :p Elizabeth certainly is both (and would be both more often if I could finish the danged merchant game).

Anyone interested in making a Qin map for Friday? I can do one late Friday or early Saturday but am fairly busy this week.

Well I did the last one but I would be able to do this one as well if you wanted.

Top Bottom