WW2 Unit Graphics

I've relented a bit on turning these into ToT units - here's some US and Brit artillery that I've had to butcher and shorten barrels and trails to fit :lol:

If there's any appetite for more of these I'll continue with other nation's artillery.

There is indeed an appetite! Yum.

I'm plotting a Stalingrad/Kharkov scenario. I don't think there are any Soviet 76mm artillery and anti-tank units around. They would be very welcome.

Here you go, advance for the rodina!

Again I've had to severely butcher the barrels and trails to make them fit. Hope they look OK.

Attachments

• fairline ww2 USSR arty.png
    fairline ww2 USSR arty.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 796
Um, I just posted US and Commonwealth artillery that was used in WW2 and the Korean war, above your post ;)

The US M2A1/M101 105mm and M1/M114 155mm were in general use amongst the UN nations in the Korean War (top row 2nd and 3rd units). The US and allies didn't use a 122mm. If it's a Russian 122mm you are after I can convert that from the Open General units I posted. The US also used the 'Long Tom' 155mm and M115 203mm (1st row 8th unit) both of which shared the same carriage.

As for Britain and the Commonwealth nations in Korea, they used the 25-pdr 87mm (3rd row 4th unit) as well as the 5.5" gun (4th row 1st unit)

Thanks for that heads-up. I'll have to review where I'm using my various artillery units (some have flags, some are generic), and I'll get right back to you, and maybe make some reshuffling of such units.

When I said the Italian aircraft for Open General were complete I was wrong - both the Piaggio P.108 and Ca.133 are used. Don't suppose you could....? ;)

btw, the ca. 310 looks great in-game, thanks again :)

Here's some Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm aircraft if you need an Italian Fleet destroying:

Attachments

• fairline FAA aircraft ww2 n korea.png
    fairline FAA aircraft ww2 n korea.png
    27 KB · Views: 797
Is there any reason why there are no troops from the Asian Theatre (like Chinese, Japanese...) included? For me there is no need to have them but I was wondering why only Europe troops
were available?

By the way, very good units. Unfortunatelly I don´t know Open General but I can imagine that those units would be looking great in game.

Actually, there are some good Japanese and Chinese troops I had made by request by Fairline for my Empire of the Rising Sun scenario, that I've also seen appear in Curtsibling's Dictator 7, and Tootall's Iwo Jima and Total War 1941-1945 scenarios. There may be other places they've appeared too I'm not aware of.

Is there any reason why there are no troops from the Asian Theatre (like Chinese, Japanese...) included? For me there is no need to have them but I was wondering why only Europe troops
were available?

well yes - there are literally dozens of e-files (analogous to civ2 rules) which cover different time-periods and theatres of war from ancient Rome through to modern day warfare; there is a Pacific War e-file and campaigns. I am playing German campaigns and British Western Desert campaign, so the e-files I've made gfx for are western and N Africa only. You've seen the number of units I had to draw just to cover the essentials for these theatres of ops, so I havent had time to take on the Pacific too :) No boubt if I start playing the USMC campaign though.....

By the way, very good units. Unfortunatelly I don´t know Open General but I can imagine that those units would be looking great in game.

BTW you can get the installer for the game here if you wanna try it. It's open-source and entirely free made by a modder like ourselves called Luis Guzman. He's basically reverse-engineered Panzer General 2. There are ofc extensive modding tools available to make scenarios and campaigns. If you like military history and strategic wargames there's no reason not to try it ;)

If you do dl it, let me know and I'll send you my unit icons

Luis' Open General site:
http://luis-guzman.com/
http://luis-guzman.com/OpenGen.html

One collection that's still kind of spotty is Japanese WWII aircraft, especially the later types. Japanese markings were among the most colourful of the war, and some types were pretty exotic. ...just sayin' :)

must... resist.... ;)

When I finish the western unit icons for OG I might be tempted...

I´ve downloaded the game and will give it a try.:)

Is it easily to modifiy the files in Open General? If so maybe I will try to make a scenario covering the American War of Independence or something during the Napoleonic Time. I think the limitation of using units in Open General isn´t such restricted like on Civ2.

The Roman Empire also sounds very interesting.

I´ve downloaded the game and will give it a try.:)

Is it easily to modifiy the files in Open General? If so maybe I will try to make a scenario covering the American War of Independence or something during the Napoleonic Time. I think the limitation of using units in Open General isn´t such restricted like on Civ2.

The Roman Empire also sounds very interesting.

Yes, there are excellent modding tools made by Luis. The most useful is OpenSuite which is a scenario, campaign and unit stats editor. Pretty much everything can be changed for each unit, from which icon it uses, which sound, its attack and def stats, year available etc etc.

If you want to put your own custom gfx in-game as I have then you need to convert an incon into a *.s16 format which was the proprietary gfx format for the makers of PG2 (SSI) and then pack the resultant s16 into the big archive file used by the game. The tools needed for this are PeG dat tool for the s16 conversion and icons tool for packing the files.

All these are available here:

http://luis-guzman.com/

This is a good place to find all the maps that have been made for scenarios@

http://www.gilestiel.eu/~pg2og/mapfinder/

You can make new maps yourself but its time-consuming...

If you decide you want to try your hand at scenario or campaign modding let me know and I can give you a more detailedd run-through of the processes involved.

And in answer to your question about unit limits for a scenario, taking the Adlerkorps ww2 e-file as an example there are 31 countries, 4000 units and around 2000 different unit icons. So yes, a bit more flexible than civ :)

Top Bottom