Comparing World Wonders: New Chart

The Kingmaker

Alexander
It's time for another one of my famous charts. This one compares the world wonders across all iterations of Civ. I'd like to apologize in advance for the relatively small scale of the chart--the image hosting site scaled it down. At least it's still legible.

What wonders from previous games would you like back? (Don't everyone shout Leonardo's Workshop all at once.)

What new wonders would you like to see? There's still lots of wonders I think deserve to be included:

The Colosseum (aka the Flavian Amphitheater)
The Alhambra
Borobudur
The Ishtar Gate
Potala Palace
Teotihuacan (or even just the Pyramid of the Sun, though the whole city is impressive)
The Temple of Heaven
The Leaning Tower of Pisa

Maybe even some wonders that are now ruined, like:
Great Zimbabwe
Petra
Knossos
The Karnak Temple Complex

Your thoughts?

Now teothuachan is already a city and the aztecs would be come useless without it. the colusuem is already a building the rest sound cool though, just make a list in your spare time telling us the benifits. As for wonders i miss, apparently christo redenter, and that is in civ 5 unlike your list says

I think the Parthenon should be taken in, or replace the Great Library for it.

Now teothuachan is already a city and the aztecs would be come useless without it. the colusuem is already a building the rest sound cool though, just make a list in your spare time telling us the benifits. As for wonders i miss, apparently christo redenter, and that is in civ 5 unlike your list says

Chichen Itza is a Mayan city, and it gets it's own wonder. Colosseum as a building should be renamed as "amphitheater" and THE Colosseum, the really big one, should be a wonder.

As for benefits... they can be whatever you want. It's rare that a wonder actually gives realistic benefits in a Civ game (just look at the progression of the Pyramids' benefits over the course of the series).

This is awesome. My inner geek is bowing. Any chance of uploading the underlying spreadsheet so we can sort, etc.?

Thanks!

whoops sorry for my ignorance

Mods time...

I have released Teotihuacan and will be working on the Temple of Heaven, to adress the above wishlist. Sukritat has released the Alhambra and Portala Palace, and Ambrox62 has released the Ishtar gate. All people mentioned have released additional wonders not mentioned.

lol just googled benifits of the womens sufferage, "a police station in all citys". Well

Now, this may not be popular but I always thought that there are too MANY wonders in the game since Civ 4. Civ 3 got the number of wonders about right IMHO.

There should be more modern wonders. To me, skyscrapers are the greatest architectural wonders of all time, they should have more than the Eiffel Tower. Here are some ideas:

- Empire State Building
- CN Tower
- Burj Khalifa
- Golden Gate Bridge (must be on a river tile)
- Petronas Towers
- Guggenheim Museum
- Sagrada Familia
- Taj Mahal Hotel
- Atomium
- Commerzbank Tower (Frankfurt)

Some older ones

- Cologne Cathedral
- Duomo of Florence
- Dome of Rock
- Petra
- The Sphinx
- Giant Buddha Statue in Japan
- Westminster Abby
- Buckingham Palace
- Arc de Triumph
- Winter Palace
- The Alhambra
- Neuschwanstein Castle

None of these architectural (or otherwise) wonders stand tall enough or of equal importance for humanity than the Hubble Telescope - there, i said it.
Projects aside, what any civs couldn't achieve (for cultural or political reasons) cooperation did it for them.
We simply look & listen out or in.
Which is to say - memories of SETI brought me back to scientific quests.
The optimal list has five X's worth of consensus - by opinions if anything.

It seems to me that all of the "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" should be in automatically, considering that's where the game creator got the idea of "Wonders" in the first place.

Cristo Redentor is in Civ V

Yes, I noticed this as well. I didn't look through the rest of the list once I got that far and made that observation.

edit: I only post this to confirm the error so the OP can change it and to acknowledge that I did not have the time to review the rest of the document at the original time of posting.

There should be more modern wonders. To me, skyscrapers are the greatest architectural wonders of all time, they should have more than the Eiffel Tower. Here are some ideas:

- Empire State Building
- CN Tower
- Burj Khalifa
- Golden Gate Bridge (must be on a river tile)
- Petronas Towers
- Guggenheim Museum
- Sagrada Familia
- Taj Mahal Hotel
- Atomium
- Commerzbank Tower (Frankfurt)

I like this list...trouble is it's an awful lot of wonders to stick into the modern era. And the Sagrada Familia would have to give a culture boost but requires to be constantly built in that city...it can never be finished :mischief: To narrow the list down a bit I'd say CN Tower, Burj Khalifa, Golden Gate, and Sagrada Familia. Petronas Towers could probably go in as well. And on the subject of modern wonders, the Sydney Opera House should either come out or be renamed to Sydney Harbour or something that's inclusive of the whole area...that bridge (known as the coat hanger) is every bit as impressive as the opera house. Singling the opera house out and not having some of these other modern marvels is...well...it just doesn't make much sense to me. (of course, that's not to say the opera house isn't amazing; like heck it is. Just not so much as this other stuff).

Top Bottom