Religion on Immortal+

On deity there's 4 ways to get a religion Without piety:
1. Terrain faith pantheon. Sometimes +3 fpt is sufficient if you founded your pantheon early. +5 fpt is generally safe.
2. Religious CS ally. Very situational. If you can complete a quest and return a worker, you are set for a religion.
3. If no terrain faith. Get god king and go liberty. Pump out 3 more cities asap and first build shrine in each of them. Will be hard with tradition because both settlers and shrines will take much longer to build.
4. Stonehenge. You will fail this most of the time.

When choosing pantheons (with founding religion in mind). Choose a pantheon that is able to buff the holy city the most because you most likely will only be able to keep your religion in your holy city until you start reconverting your other cities with prophets and inquisitors. Keep in mind that you don't have to found your religion in your capital. If you take one with nature but only your satellite city has NW, then found your religion there!

You're best to found a religion in your fastest growing/largest city right as more population pumps out pressure faster?
Although I can see that if you found on a city closer to many neighbors and lots of cities then Grand Temple, religious texts/itinerant preachers would be very powerful for fast spreading.

Maybe another option for early founding is pick a culture pantheon and try to finish liberty quickly. Often you can build Oracle on Diety.
If you have lots of pastures God of the Open Sky seems the best candidate here and I think is better then Oral Tradition.
Mainly because there is more benefit to working pastures early then there is most plantations. Plantations don't really earn their keep until Fertilizer. A city with a few Pastures and an early stables becomes a powerhouse.

Religious pressure has nothing to do with population. A 30-pop city and a 1-pop city both generate the same amount of pressure (6 pressure at Standard speed). Grand Temple doubles pressure for a holy city, Religious Texts increases inter-city pressure by 25%/50%, and Arabia's UA doubles pressure along trade routes. That's it.

2. Religious CS ally. Very situational. If you can complete a quest and return a worker, you are set for a religion.

Less situational with Sweden going 2 policies into Honour and gifting the General, for those that didn't yet know about this.

Just adding to what Browd wrote.

You're best to found a religion in your fastest growing/largest city right as more population pumps out pressure faster?
Although I can see that if you found on a city closer to many neighbors and lots of cities then Grand Temple, religious texts/itinerant preachers would be very powerful for fast spreading.

Your are best to found in a city that is centrally located (to your empire, also CS and prolly the rest of continent, but central to your territory is the more important). Neither RT nor IP changes that, but for RT it is very nice to have the option for sea trade routes.

Founding outside your capital helps keep your holy city off the radar of other civ that like to spam missionaries. It is also nice to be able to off-load a National Wonder or two from your capital. I like to put the East India NW in the same city as the Grande Temple, so trade routes push religion and pull money.

The only downside I have with founding outside the cap is that sometime the cap has gotten large enough that passive pressure alone would take too long to convert it. Otherwise, I hardly ever bother with missionaries.

Population doesn't spread religion faster, though it should.

The best way to spread a powerful religion without too much faith expenditure is to found your pre - national college empire in such a way that it buffers and stakes off a large amount of land from adjacent civ expansion, then pump out 3-4 settlers and a missionary to convert two of those new cities right away, that will create 18 pressure to convert the other new expansions within 5 turns after you settle them. The result is you'll have 30 pressure on all your cities and 18-24 pressure on nearby civs and city states. The ONLY way to passively spread a religion quickly is to have a lot of low population cities within 3-4 tiles of one another, 6-8 cities by turn 100.

Top Bottom