End of Empires - N3S III

Update 1
Spoiler :

Update 2

Update 3

"When a man burns the world and builds his own among the ashes, he becomes a god."

-Arastephas the Redeemer

"The greatest palace, the tallest spire, the noblest victory, is nothing before the joy of a father and his son."

-Atraxes the Silver Prince

"Claim the strength of the mountain. Claim the justice of the predator. Claim the righteousness of the thunderbolt."

-Xetares the Proud

"Redeem yourself."

Hashaskor the Unburnt

"Whatever task you are appointed, pursue it with a will of iron."

Macrinus the Restorer

"We are born into a world that kills us. Life is death. Learn this lesson and you will learn power."

Petraxes the Wind Lord

"The subtlest wars are those of the mind. Win this war, and all others are simply skirmish."

-Tavha the White

Awesome story hunting Terrance! And great quotes Thlayli, I'll strive to make my Helsian quotations equally... quotable.

Gosh, I attempted to write for this once.. horrible, simplistic, paragraphs at best..

..I wish I could write.. it would be a handy skill in NESing ;)

Practice makes, if not perfect, then at least significantly better. Never be afraid to write Abaddon!

The people of Parthe are called Partheca, and they are known to value exploration and curiosity, as well as hard work. The people also believe in Jarthe, or clan loyalty, that the Partheca live by. Their villages represent this best: often they are huts surrounding a central square, which is dominated by the building built by the founder of the homestead. Whenever the family that lives there grows too big, some of the younger generation either start a second square nearby and attach their center with the first, forming a town that is usually sustained by resources or trade. Or, they will migrate, forming bands of homesteaders dotting the landscape far beyond the normal borders of those directly loyal to the King.

And so is the unique shape and status of the capital city of Parwen. In the center of the land it was considered the heart of Partheca culture that spawned the entire exploring race. Although the legendary founder of that oversized town and his known descendents are long gone, the Thewen family now controls the city. They are ruling in the characteristic Partheca manner: loose governing, governor marrying and tax lowering. They have blood line ties to every major town south of Parwen, and use the Jarthe to control their loose nation.

The towns themselves are dominated by head of the family, or more often the most skilled heads of the various fractions of the clan. These trials of the chiefs are often also calls for celebration and merriment. Outsiders travel there to trade and make merry as they battled with riddles, goods made by hand and debate. The atmosphere is calm, and often times the governor chief would rule until the birth of his first granddaughter and abdicate the rule.

There are two other things about the Partheca people and their towns. First are roamers called Parca. Usually they hold no known blood lines, and so are shunned from the usually open town centers. However, their movements often brings news, trade and exploration of the originals, and that gives every Partheca the chance to invite one in to the house in hopes of a good deal. Parca who have ‘families’, whether be they bonds of marriage or comradeship, often found homesteads far to beyond the known border when they become older. Others join Parca communities which themselves migrate in their wagon towns. Some Parca are simply those visitng family, but this is rare in itself. Also well known are the crafters. Whether famed for metal working, wood crafting or trade management, they form their own social class within the city and often their own central Jarca (Plaza?) as well. They usually don’t live by blood lines but to guild loyalty, and even in small towns they will invite Parca who deal in his particular wares to settle in a small Jarca of wagons around him.

Roots!
Par – Orgin/Original
The (Short e)- Desendents
Ca- Adjective Enclitic for stuff that represents it (so a hearty man would be Jarca, one with much heart/center)
Cas- Undefined pronoun usage (Ones, those people, anyone, ect)
Jar- Center, heart
Wen- Root, Home
Parthe: Desendents of the Original Peoples (Founder of Parwen)
Parwen: The Original Home
Jarthe: The Desendents of the Heart
Thewen: Current Dynasty, Desendents of the Home,
Parcas: The family name of the legendary founding dynasty “The Original Ones ”
Parca: Like the Originals, Explorer
Jarca: Plazas, centers of villages, towns and guild sections (usually only in cities or large towns)

Language: Their most basic and central words are based on roots, but as their culture expanded and as Parwen grew into a city, the newer words for Iron, Sword, Horses and such are more relaxed than the roots. There are many relations within the roots: Par and Jar both show the center where things began.

TO: Parthe

Greetings, Friends of the far off islands to the north. We have only recently heard of your existence, and wish to welcome you to the greater world beyond. Common knowledge is that our merchants are eager to visit and commence commerce with a nation of such intrigue. It is our hope that you will allow the floodgates to greater wealth and prosperity to be opened, and we are eager to maintain sustained contact and cooperation between us.

Bah, stole the nation I was interested in! ;)

I'll stick with my jungle warriors however.

The King Querca Gandoros Thewen, the Man of Iron, Founder of the Decendent of the Home dynasty

For centuries the city of Parwen controlled only some of the Partheca. Their territory is limited to how wide their bloodlines can flow without being too diluted, and how the frontier homesteads feel about safety within the kingdom compared to without. The ancient, legendary first dynasty of the Parcas had been prolific, and had controlled a much wider territory by the simple means of blood and marriage. However, one of the reasons for their downfall in legend is that they cast their nets too wide, their blood lost power while the people gained it. They became increasingly sedentary while the people they founded and ruled, the Partheca, spread without them. Their last king died without fanfare, and the various governors and homesteaders slowly wandered away from Parwen. So the legends say that the price of success is hubris, and those who can look past pride and strive for more can be rightfully proud of their accomplishments.

Thus for centuries the Partheca lived, spread among the non Partheca peoples and free. The city itself, once sustained by grain taxes and trade, slowly crumbled and survived only as a site of pilgrimage. This changed, and the change was dramatic.

The ancient tin mines have been running low for generations, but there are still enough bronze that the Partheca guilds didn’t worry. However, one year it stopped sending production. And that year was also a year of famine and death as the ground failed to produce. This lasted for generations from some stories, or a decade in others. However long it lasted, the Partheca looked for new leaders and a new way of life. At the same time, ships arrived in Parwen that can hold many men or goods… but was it a ship of conquest or trade? No one knew.

Gandoros was a bronze smith of the time, and he greeted the strange men. Trading with the Parca Tin dealers gave him a good command of various languages, but even still he had a hard time. However, he soon understood that they are known as Kitaluk, and that they are willing to trade. It must be hard for him to part with some of his final few bronze tools and trinkets, but in exchange were wonders: Bright gems, sweet nectar of tree stones, and various furs. What most intrigued him was a simple knife that shone dull grey in the sunlight: thus made of Iron.

And so Gandoros pleaded with his dying guild to release him and let him travel as a Parca to distant lands. And his brother comrades refused again and again as the strange ship kept trading, for he was one of their master smiths… master of a lost metal. So as the ship began to leave, he swam out to the ship and with a present of his freedom for five years and his last coins of gold, he brought passage to their country as an apprentice.

There was a long voyage, and the man learned of their language, customs and beliefs. Their ship was large for him, but for the strangers it was a rather small merchant boat that was scouting the north. It had twin sails, and three hulls so the stories told, and their larger ships have many combinations of such. Between the two outer hulls that held the sails and the sailors at work was a large inner barge holding the people at rest and the supplies.

Finally, he arrived at their city. He learned more things he cannot place in his own language, and worked hard as a servant of the blacksmith Quersados. He slowly repaid his debt to the servants and learned the workings of Iron from his master. In Partheca, he called the metal Quer. Therefore he lived to his 444th moon in the land of Kitaluk before he was free.

But now he has a vision. With bronze gone, Iron would replace it. And with his own arms he will rebuild the dying city of Parwen. And so he became a trader for another 37 moons in Kitaluk, buying Iron and hiring ships while establishing the first Parwen-Kitaluk trade route. Already the city was growing again, as the goods from Kitaluk was trader to distant Partheca towns; grains flowed back to the starving city. However, it still had no central leader, as it was split between competing chiefs.

At the end of his 484th moon, Gandoros returned, and he challenged all the chiefs of Parwen to his contest. Riddles he gave in many languages, puzzles he broke with uncanny skill. In the competition of craft his Iron Sword cut through his opponents bronze blades, shined brighter than their golden broaches, and was more beautiful with its inlaid gems than any Mother of Pearl ring. So became King of Parwen. And so he called himself Thewen, the Desendent of those who defends Homes. And his chiefs called him father and Querca, he who is like iron.

Querca Gandoros Thewen, the first king of the second dynasty of Parwen, married into the family of the town of Querwen, and his sons and daughters spread throughout the land. His Iron was given to his comrades in his guild, and taught them how to make steel. Their skill of the Metalworkers guild was greater than that of Kitaluk, and so his own trade route became from that of scrounged relics to that of intricate iron pieces. His iron too, was provided to his army of Parca, and they traveled throughout his growing realm to kill Parca bandits, protect the homesteads, villages and towns of the new Parthe kingdom and to spread the borders beyond the bloodline, the first time that has ever happened. He accepted the defense of his city by the Kitaluk, now almost dependent on his nation for advanced tools and he was on their Iron. So he ruled.

And so when Querca Gandoros Thewen died at an age of 1111 moons, (about 93) he has literally reforged a new Kingdom of Parthe, rebuilt the city of Parwen, and established a small yet growing nation of Partheca.

to Leunan Empire
From Parthe

Welcome, land of legend, for it is a miracle that ships can travel such a wide distance and survive. We are eager to learn more of your nation, as we know you are eager to learn of us. We accept this offer of trade and friendship, and will prepare a port for you.
(Can I have a few of my people travel on your ships to visit your country?)

The Khan of the Tazari is here.

I'll now assume in control of Farea, a small nation in "the East".

I'll be replacing Theige, who took control of a new nation.

This is my first, "this kind" NES - so, I hope, that I'll prove to be a capable opponent (or a friend) to you guys.

I confirm Northern Wolf has taken Farea, and I myself have assumed control of Gallat.

Orders sent!

From: Satores-ta-Yashidim, Prince of the Arrow, Nephrax-ta-Delphis, Prince of the Scroll
To: Exalted Redeemer Vespelian, Ninth of the Mask, Noble High Prince of the Sun

We wish to request the consent and support of the noble Redeemer for an expedition to the north, to confirm our new ties among the Vithana. We also plan to provide many of our brother tribes with the Kaphaiavai, and to determine if the Kothai truly runs until the end of the world, as the tales say.

To: His Brother Princes

I give not simply my consent, but my blessing. Go forth until the praises of the Lord of Wind and Thunder are heard through all the nations!

To: Vespelian, First Censoratta of the Exatai

The defenses of Acca are in great need of restoration. It would set my mind at ease if the northern borders were more secure.

To: Tarkas Sarturro

Your diligence is admirable, my friend. Your words are heard and shall be acted upon.

To: Itarephas, Prince of the Sword

I call upon you for aid, my tarkan, blooded cousin and comrade. The wretches of Neruss have insulted me for the last time. But I and mine are not nearly as great warriors as that of the Sword. Since the southern border has been quiet of late, will you join me in my campaign for the glory of the Redeemer?

To: Nephrax-ta-Delphis, Prince of the Scroll

EXATAS!

TO: Opulensi Empire

In the interest of the plentiful trade which flows throughout our respective realms, we wish to sign a series of agreements with the greater empire to formally recognize Opulensi and Leunan claims and possessions in the various seas and regions for which we co-inhabit. It is but our sole wish to retain and encourage these times of prosperity, and to eliminate such obvious sources of possible future friction not by war and conflict, but by mutually beneficial cooperation.

Guild of Governors

It was the time of the Plague.

The father of our current king, Jarshuan Thewen, was known as Wendicas Thewen. He ruled during the time of troubles. It seemed like the time before Gordoros all over again. Towns broke free of Parwen as governors within the Thewenca Jarthe died. The city can’t send troops to support one of the King’s closer relatives because there are no troops to send and to relatives to marry into the new Governor’s family. It was also a rare time of warfare, for as people died farm fell into disrepair, leaving the survivors hungry and weak, crying for their governor to take food. Homesteads and villages disappeared off the world as everyone died, survivors of the plague too weak to take care of themselves before they too perished. The King himself caught the disease, and wasn’t able to help his people.

Therefore the Partheca slowly left each other alone again, settling their eyes on their own towns and villages and away from the outside world. Once again is the power in Parwen in dissent, not for the lack of a King but of the King’s power. Battles raged from the few troops that survived, and fires licked the city at night, silhouetting the power struggle. Three Prefects rose to prominence in the wake of the King’s illness: Chiefs Querdoros, Senuencas and Hathenan. They battled as the city crumbled.

But this sparked something new for Parthecas society, something that has profound impacts a single generation later…. The first guild of governors was formed. Guilds were not cartels of craftsmen seeking to preserve quality and profit, but are instead bands of comradeship that are sought for and are sometimes though to be stronger than Jarthe, the value of the clan. In Parthecas, a guild of governors is called Hanuen, after the union of the two chiefs Senuencas and Hathen in brotherhood. Soon, Hanuen of Chiefs and Governors were forming throughout the Partheca. Once again, they began to spread their power faster than ever before. The Hanuen soon defeated chief Querdoros and began the process of union by blood. Beyond the Hanuen itself, more Guilds of Governors formed. But they all had one in common: they included the King, Wendicas, as their leader. When the King revived and retook control, he gave the Hanuencas, as they are now called, special authority along with those who have direct blood. No longer is Parthe and the rule of Parwen limited by blood, for the Hanuencas now spread the power of the King beyond his blood by the right of Jarthe.

Government of Parthe

Traditionally, the government was that of Jarthe, or right of Blood and Clan. The King kept many relatives in his fortified central square in Parwen, and whenever a governor dies or is replaced, he sends a relative and a company of soldiers to force the new Governor to marry into his family. Due to this, family is very important and family trees are kept for years upon years. The governors themselves are chosen with festivities cumulating with a simple contest: the different Chiefs of the town battled with riddles, craftsmanship and knowledge. Within the city, the same process went with the Prefects, or city governors. So far, only Parwen is large enough to hold prefects: they have three.

The Hanuencas was a new invention and it utilized the Guild. A guild is a bond of artificial brotherhood and comradeship based on trade. Some feel their guild is stronger than Jarthe, and travel along their guildmates to settle in new towns. The Hanuencas is the Guild of Governors, and it is beyond blood. It was like a provincial command, for the guild had a Guildmaster over all of them, and often includes the King himself in their brother hood. Using this new form of expansion, the King can often impose an Hanuencas upon a new land, controlling it while using a minimum amount of relatives while letting them keep some power and local culture. The hanuencas of Parwen and its closest towns as well as the head of the strongest hanuencas leaders elsewhere form a Council that advises the King.

New Words
Senuen- Crafty, tricky one,
Ha-n- Showing much of
Hanuen- Guild of Prefects (Parts of a city)
Hanuencas- Guild of Governors (Ruler of a town)
=

Originally, the hierarchy of the Satar was simple. The Redeemer stood above all, the Princes stood below the Redeemer, the Satar of each Tribe obeyed the Princes, and the Satar stood above all non-Satar. But by the 3rd and 4th centuries RM, the Accan people had become an integral part of the Exatai. They were not Satar, but they were faithful, and the Redeemer himself was of Accan blood, though he would frequently take a Satar wife to strengthen his ties to the Princes. As the Ardavai Exatai was a multi-cultural institution, societal structures had to evolve to accommodate this new reality. The Censoratta [Sensora] bureaucrat-cum-police system was firmly established in the Sesh, perhaps in part to give Accans a route to political power in the Exatai, and the monastic hierarchy expanded during this period as well, each providing their own route to power and influence in exatal politics. Furthermore, Princes found themselves in control of territories far from their personal lands, necessitating a new class of middle-range officials to govern and protect these outlying areas. This resulted in a major new expansion of the petty nobility. Naturally, questions cropped up. Who was more powerful, a Sephalite or a Satrap? How did Accans compare to Satar? The grappling for power between the traditional, monastic, and Accan-bureaucratic hierarchies resulted in more than a few power clashes, but by the 4th century RM, a somewhat stable system of precedence had been established.

This, of course, manifested itself in the traditional way: With ever more elaborate displays of mask culture. The mask was an useful tool for the Exatai because it provided an instant indication of where someone stood in society. While the mask culture never caught on in relatively mono-cultural Acca to the degree that it did in the Sesh Valley, even here records attest masks being used for many ceremonial functions.

In certain parts of the Exatai, specifically the Sesh Delta, being caught without a mask in certain situations could cause enslavement or death. Maskhood didn't simply confer status. In many cases, it conferred survival. Of course, many unmasked slaves attempted to produce counterfeit masks and blend in with the masked elements of society, but the penalty for discovery was unspeakably harsh.

Table 2.3: Mask Precedence During The Late 4th Century RM.

1. Golden Mask – The Redeemer [1]
2. Silver Mask – Prince [6]
3. Sapphire Mask – High Oracle [equal in rank with a Prince] [1]
4. Black Mask (inset diamond) – Censoratta [20-30]
5. Gold Edged Mask – Argai [Aspect Warrior, personal guard of the Redeemer] [200-300]
6. Silver Edged mask – Satrap [Provincial governor of a small territory] [10-15]
7. Half Black, Half White Mask – Sephalite [Head of Monastery] [150-200]
8. Red Mask – Tarkan [companion] [retinue of a Prince; garrison commander] [500]
9. White or Black Mask (inset ruby or lesser stone) – Kaphet-ha and Avet-ha, Chief Warrior and Chief Scribe of a Monastery [300-400]
10. Red Edged Bronze Mask – Artakasa [blooded warrior] [captain of a small group] [~3000-3500]
11. Bronze Mask – Satar
12. Iron Mask – Acca (only worn in ceremonial functions, equal in rank with a normal Satar)
13. Lacquered Wood Half-Mask – Freedmen Artisan (painted with various symbols to indicate trade)
14. Unmasked – Slaves.

This precedence system should be considered more of a guideline than a rule; while de jure a Satrap might outrank a Sephalite, the Sephalite of a particularly wealthy and influential monastery would wield more power than the Satrap of a particularly poor and peripheral territory. This survey places the number of ranked nobility somewhere in the vicinity of 5000 individuals, using liberal estimates. Naturally, this number fails to consider family members, and other various prestigious individuals such as Oracles and scholars that did not directly fit into the system, but in comparison to the 7 person nobility of the early Satar, it provides at least superficial background for the reality of the 3rd and early 4th century Exatai: An increased amount of civil strife and rising administrative costs. This, of course, fails to consider the benefits of the new institutions...

-Netraxes Pellarkes, Exatal Culture in the Lovi-Kern Littoral, 100-400 RM

smech

Tiratas Agreements
- 208 IL -

1.) The Leunan Empire agrees to respect the Opulensi Empire’s area of influence over all regions bordering the Cyntal and Kbirilma Seas, wherein the Leunan Empire shall not use military force, nor actively support other polities, nor in any other action, exert influence in the aforementioned geographic regions beyond the encouragement of commerce.

2.) The Opulensi Empire agrees to respect the Leunan Empire’s area of influence over all of Auona not bordered by the Cyntal Sea, and of all regions which necessitate travel east of Auona, wherein the Opulensi Empire shall not use military force, nor actively support other polities, nor in any other action, exert influence in the aforementioned geographic regions beyond the encouragement of commerce, except in the garrison of previously established Opulensi colonies.

3.) Together, the Opulensi Empire and Leunan Empire agree to the active support of cordiale relations, for prosperity and the enrichment of all, and to embrace peace on all seas.

Signed,

Emperor Issaos of Leun

Top Bottom