Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

So a good tip is generally not to give out maps until you have basically enclosed all the land within your reach?

They know the disposition of all tiles at all times. That means they know if a reousrce will be there as per the map gen. IOW when the map was generated, coal was placed on x tiles and that is known.

They do not know about resources that will be placed from being exhausted though, at least till they are placed.

It also means they know all of your units in towns or out. For the purposes of path finding, they have to behave as if they do not know tiles, beyond what they have explored. This is why I do not give out maps, till I have my land in my borders.

I do not want them sending settlers to open spots behind me. They know the spot is open, but cannot find the way, until they have exposed it by exploring or getting a map.

Wow! This is a big advantage for the AI! To get the same information, the player's civ must spend a lot of cash.

Wow! This is a big advantage for the AI! To get the same information, the player's civ must spend a lot of cash.

Yes, that is true. But you can use this fact in your favour. When in war with certain civilization, just remove all your forces from one city (which you choose). AI will go after that city, and you can attack these forces on your terms ;)

So a good tip is generally not to give out maps until you have basically enclosed all the land within your reach?

It is a good idea in most situations. Not going to help, if they consider you weak as they will send units to explore. If they have to cross your borders and will not send in scouts, you can deny them the information.

You cannot even get it the info for the most part. You can steal plans and find out the units, but you have no way to know where say Oil will be located prior to having the tech.

You can't even steal plans, till the IA and then only, if you have a spy and the cash. I often do not have Espionage and can do none of it.

Pacioli said:
Originally Posted by vmxa View Post
They know the disposition of all tiles at all times. That means they know if a reousrce will be there as per the map gen. IOW when the map was generated, coal was placed on x tiles and that is known.

They do not know about resources that will be placed from being exhausted though, at least till they are placed.

It also means they know all of your units in towns or out. For the purposes of path finding, they have to behave as if they do not know tiles, beyond what they have explored. This is why I do not give out maps, till I have my land in my borders.

I do not want them sending settlers to open spots behind me. They know the spot is open, but cannot find the way, until they have exposed it by exploring or getting a map.

If you recall, we used this fact of the AI's programming against in a game we played.

Thanks for the additional information vmxa and Tomislav.

I remember the tactic Spoonwood and now I realize why it works. The learning continues.

You will have a draft option like Aabraxan said, ONCE you have Nationalism. I think you also need to have a few pop. I don't think you can draft, if you are size 1. YOu also need some gold, I am not sure as I do not use it.

You will have a draft option like Aabraxan said, ONCE you have Nationalism. I think you also need to have a few pop. I don't think you can draft, if you are size 1. YOu also need some gold, I am not sure as I do not use it.

You don't need gold. Each draft takes away one population, I believe. You also can't draft if the city is in resistance, or if it is in civil disorder.

Because they want more land or something. In a recent game, Scandinavia did an early DoW against Maya, even though Maya was way ahead of them. Lucky for Scandinavia, I had been building up a SoD and made an alliance with Scandinavia for free, then took 1 Mayan city and destroyed another before Maya could blink.

I was playing this game just for fun, and I wanted to upload it because I just wanted to see what the "experts" thought of it.

The difficulty is Warlord, the settings are all random, except for world size which was Huge, and I randomly got Iroquois and 14 random opponents. I beat Carthage up (they only had 1 city) and this is the game I was talking about a post above where I allied with Scandinavia and attacked Maya. After they made peace, I pointy-sticked Maya and then made peace a few turns later so I could rest up and lick my wounds. So after all that, here is the save:

Attachments

• Hiawatha of the Iroquois, 250 BC.SAV
    190.2 KB · Views: 64
I found the following 2004 thread titled "How do I call a UN vote????"

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=89790

I have not played many diplomatic games. Is the following answer still correct?

You can't call a vote - it comes up automatically. If you declined to hold a vote, the next vote will come in 20 turns. If you held a vote but the election produced no majority, the next vote will come in 11 turns.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure in conquests it is every eleven turns regardless of whether you hold the vote.

Top Bottom