SGOTM 13 - TNT thread

All players can download the save at will.

Good to know. Then I havn't done anything wrong.

I actually posted a flying camera of a neighboring island earlier in this thread, you must have missed it :p. But I'm ok with not using it if you guys feel it's inappropriate.

Yes, I noticed it. The trick I'm talking about is *not* the flying camera trick. It is a much simpler trick, and it will *not* reveal what kind of terrain we have in the black, but only the *elevation* of the terrain. I'll make a picture just to demonstrate what I'm talking about and upload it when the feature is back on (or using google if I figure out how).

-jj-

Here is the demographics from Turn 1. I think the others I have are obsolete but if someone wants them, just let me know.

I am learning a ton. :D I've opened an Image Shack account and was successful at uploading this last image from turn 1. The server still is suffering problems but once it's back in full operation we'll all be able to use the CivFanatics built in upload functions.

Now the experts can compare Demographics for the two pics. I'm looking forward to learning about this so please explain your conclusions for all of us eager to learn. :cool:

It was 2975BC, and Napoleon got out his RC helicopter. Then he put a camera on it. Here's what he found:

Clockwise, starting from behind the stone.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Summary:

To the southeast is largely jungle. To the southwest is a mix of forest/jungle, and a fair amount of land tiles. To the Northwest are some forests and a fair amount of hills. To the northeast there is a fair amount of water, but there is some land within 5-10 tiles.

I think Orleans settling should be aiming for West North-West, and work one seafood and a bunch of hills (and hopefully chop initial production).

it gave me an opportunity to copy the save (*edit- which is given a new name*) in order to attach it to our thread for convenience, I think.
Not quite. It displays the LINK to the save, and suggests that you can copy the LINK into your thread for the other players to use.

There is no problem with uploading from the P&R page. I suggest using the pause feature, not available on my Mac, to prevent a mouse misclick or trackpad fumble. As long as you make no changes, all is cool.
I'm surprised there's no Pause facility on your Mac. Presumably you are running in Bootcamp, so the BtS software is identical. You just need to find the correct mouse action or key combination on your Mac keyboard.

Have you looked at Apple's key mapping information? I just Googled it and it was the first hit!

AlanH confirmed that he could not upload a valid graphic to any site.

No. I confirmed that I can't upload *any* file to *this* site. I have no reason to believe this is an Internet-wide problem!

As you have found, you can use other sites to host your images.

Below is the result of mapping the top for the SE island. I've added the green lines to help visualize the elevation. (I have taken many screen shots and added them to create this image. Inside the game you will only get one red circle or a path of white circles (if the unit can move to the tile), but by moving the mouse, you can create somewhat the same effect.)

As you can see, there are only 2 land tiles that we are not (fully) visible to us. The rest is water. The reason I find this interesting, is that I would like our next city to take advantage of that fish. Since the island is small, we can move our Galley so that it will reveal all tiles before sending the Settler ashore, making sure there are no barbarians next to our landing site. We can also send the Settler ashore on a tile nest to the one where we want to found the city to see if there are more seafood out there.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2cFi0Cwmn9rMTBlYTEwZjAtN2Q3OC00OGMwLWIwOWMtYWFiNTVlOTcwNDRk&hl=en&authkey=CJys69kE

EDIT: I was only able to add a link to the file, not insert it as a picture. The reason is that the url does not point directly to the jpg-file. Maybe dima can tell me how he does it?

Thank you, Alan for clearing that up and for the hook to keyboard mapping. Excellent! I'll eventually get up to speed.

@dima - that is a big help. Amazes me how you can glean all that from these pics. Nice.

open image in new tab. get the address from the address bar.

That just doesn't work for me. I've uploaded the image using google documents (maybe a bad choice?). If I click it (or right-click and choose 'open in new tab'), it only tries to download the document (=image file). What google service are you using to upload your images?

Btw the image (of my image) that you have included in your post, is just a scaled-down version that is shown with google documents. If you had actually downloaded the image first, then you get a larger version, showing the effects better.

I hope I managed it this time. Below should be the image I made:

Spoiler :

-jj-

EDIT: A bit big so I wrapped it into spoiler tags. At least you can see the lines and elevation better.

Anyway, using this technique I could map the entire region. dima's method shows the terrain, but it seems this method is better to see which tiles belong where. Or am I missing something in your pics, dima?

A trick I'm finding useful when you don't know how to do something others have managed is to click on quote and have a look at the enclosures. For example boldface is boldface Now if you do a quote it will show how it's done.
This is obvious to some veteran users, but we have a few first timers with us so maybe that will help them.
@jj - I guess the reason all those circles are red is that the warrior is the active unit? If you try that with a galley or workboat would that give white circles?

@jj - I guess the reason all those circles are red is that the warrior is the active unit? If you try that with a galley or workboat would that give white circles?

Yes, but there was no watergoing unit avaiable. :p

Oh, and what matter is just if the game engine thinks there might be a path to the tile. Hence if we hadn't explored the island fully, meaning there would be a land tile next to a black tile, then the game engine would make a white path into the black area. This is of course what you have seen many times while playing, but maybe you havn't tried to look at the elevation of the circles in those unknown black tiles.

Yes, but there was no watergoing unit avaiable. :p

Oh, and what matter is just if the game engine thinks there might be a path to the tile. Hence if we hadn't explored the island fully, meaning there would be a land tile next to a black tile, then the game engine would make a white path into the black area. This is of course what you have seen many times while playing, but maybe you havn't tried to look at the elevation of the circles in those unknown black tiles.
So the two visible island tiles are 'elevated'. Does that mean all those red circles are water tiles?

So the two visible island tiles are 'elevated'. Does that mean all those red circles are water tiles?

Only those red circles that are aligned with the green line. There are two red circles on black tiles (not the two visible land tiles) that are raised/do not touch the green line. Those two are land tiles (and I can tell they are lowland too).

OK. Since that maybe was a bit difficult to understand, I'll post the conclusion for the SE island. In the image below, I've markes three tiles with 'L' (=lowlands) and one with 'H' (hills). I've check that the rest of the tiles surrounding that island are water tiles, so what we see + the four marked tiles constitutes the entire island.

Spoiler :

OK. Since that maybe was a bit difficult to understand, I'll post the conclusion for the SE island. In the image below, I've markes three tiles with 'L' (=lowlands) and one with 'H' (hills). I've check that the rest of the tiles surrounding that island are water tiles, so what we see + the four marked tiles constitutes the entire island.
Now I see. There is a slightly different position in those two tiles you've labeled L from the pic. This is definitely a bonus bit of info! :goodjob:

On my Mac, Shift-Fn-F12 is PAUSE. I've tried it but I'm concerned whether it works or not. The worker should stop mining, correct? When I press the combo, he keeps pounding his pick. It's been recommended to PAUSE when viewing the *REAL SAVE* but how can I tell if it is paused? :dunno:
---------------
@Windfury - When you have downloaded the save, post an "I got it." Then we can check if there's any added info you need and you can let us know when you are going to play. I suggest playing +/- 10 turns. That would be a convenient date around move 51 just before the lighthouse is complete. I found jj's text file (post#143) to be very easy to follow. Just check the city centre for MM. Everything should be exactly as expected.

@Everyone - I assume that there is nothing at this time to stop Windfury from playing a set of turns, right?

***ROSTER
keath (just played to turn 41)
Windfury (up)
fizbankovi (on deck)
2metraninja
The Dude Esq
justjohn
bjartur
dima42
enKage (hopefully back in action)

cottagechris (not checked in)
trucha (not playing)

*** roster up for comment

The turnsets should go pretty quickly for the next couple of sets but things will get more complex as we go. So far we have met no one and the only notification was Buddhism founded on turn 12 - 3700bc.

Let's allow Windfury play a liitle longer than 10 turns :) it's still the beginning and we have turns planned thanks to jj :] I suggest playing this set until settler and galley is ready, then stop to decide, which of the surrounding islands to settle (or until we meet first AI)

Top Bottom