[FFH] - Erebus in the Balance

Is there a change log for erebus in the balance? I can't find one on that subforum you linked to.

I've looked at the save quite a few times, and have a few suggestions:

1. Let's almost kill Beeri and extort Trade/etc a la Ichabod's Perp abuse.
2. Let's research MT and get the free GC, fire a GA, and revolt to Overcouncil/Cottage Growth Civic.
3. Let's build a lot of Workers.
4. Let's tech Code of Laws -> Currency -> Mathematics -> Taxation and abuse the grossly overpowered cottage civic to get to the shiny arcance toys.
5. Let's only finish off Perp/Beeri before we have the shiny arcane toys.

Objections? I am playing in 10 minutes :), so lodge them quickly :mischief:.

Darrell

110 - Man things are in much better shape :goodjob:. I decide Culture is cheaper than Monuments, so modify the build in Jubilee and Combe View. I've been left with a significant force of 11 Firebows, many of which can take the Mobility promotion! I start the rotation to Beeri. Very nice to get Mobility in three of the Firebows in Coombe View, and take them across that pesky river :cool:.

111 - Worker in Dove Pan...there are lots of buildings with hammers queued up which I reluctantly leave in place. We are 7 Workers only right now. Beeri gets a GE...go build us something nice buddy :). Blech:

The queued Settler was for one of those dots, looks like the worst spot for that city to show up in :mad:. One Firebow lacks Mobility and we have a few extra Warriors, so that will have to do for that.

Or maybe not :mad: :mad: :mad:. Who the hell teched Archery anyways :crazyeye:?

112 - Walky walky. Roadie Roadie for...

113 - ...a fly by Fireball:

And:

And:

So that's that then. Wait, what the f---? Another barb city :mad: :mad: :mad:. Oh well at least we can settle Cotton.

114 - Dove Pan: Worker -> Worker. Man that's the only city I am making build choices for :crazyeye:. Confirmed annoyance:

Umm....

No doubt Ichabod noticed this, hence his lack of a Culture build :). I swap to a Cave because the people, they are angry.

115 - Bullet Catch: Settler -> Worker. Firebows in postion.

Or out of position, depending on your perspective:

Oops. Well, Gaspar did name the "WTF" award after me for a reason. Maybe stripping everything was a poor plan :rolleyes:.

To be continued...

Darrell

P.S. Don't read any great cliffhanger in that, I'm sure that city is toast. The only silver lining is no buildings.

Not too ready are you buddy?

116 - You shall be MINE again!

You shall be MINE now:

No losses, golden hammer :cool:. We need to Scout that to our NE city. Ithralia already has one settled GE and one settled Engineer, probably a good spot for it.

117 -
Darrell said:
You shall be MINE again!

Err...hold that thought, we've experienced some difficulties. RoK holy city on the ropes:

118 - Okay, ignore the missing Warrior, and just focus on this:

Valorn is ripe for the plucking:

As for the RoK holy city?

Hmm. Too bad the Warrior defends first. I pick him off with a half strength Firebow, toss three Fireballs at Bo/ambur, and mop him up with the almost full strength Firebow.

Lookie here, its the other hero:

Gonna git you sucka :hammer:. Let's see what we can extort :D.

W.T.F.

Yes, that's right, another fine moment brought to you by me. We need Trade to extort techs from someone without Trade. Uh, research adjusted. I wanted to take more cities anyway :mischief:. And now one brought to you be Beeri:

119 -

I hit end turn and all sorts of crap happens:

Next player, extort techs from Beeri after Trade comes in, then go finish off Perp. Next tech should be Mathematics. Try to fire the GC's GA so we can swap to Republic on the last turn. Enjoy!

Darrell

P.S. Need to decide HE and NE city. I think NE is fine in Beeri's old city with the Golden Hammer and one Engineer already settled. HE is our CoA city, it has great production potential.

Attachments

• RB-EitB-SG1 AD-0120.CivBeyondSwordSave
    234.3 KB · Views: 67
*cringes* at the thought of spending a GC on a GA vs a Command Post in the future HE city. *cringe*

<--wants nice shiny happy highly promoted war toys.

So, I pick up the save, and have a look inside the game. We're doing pretty well, but we have very small cities, and a low happy cap.

I decide that my ten turns will be used to make peace with Beery, kill of Perp, but mostly build up our Economy.

First of all, I check which trades can be make, and hit up Perpentach:

Why research Trade when you can trade it with a rival you will soon take out? :D

I give my thanks to the Clown King, promising him we will return, soon... :mischief:

Beery:

He originally offered a city, but I just took all his thanks and promised him we would return soon.

Alexis makes it clear she wants a visit from us too. :mad:

As you can see in the screenshot, I took a detour and headed towards Sanitation first, as we really need to grow our cities.

Erm, I'll think about it...

A religious tech we got for free? Sure thang!

Hmm, why haven't we opened borders before? I immediately Open borders with Cassiel as well. Erm, we still didn't revolt to Kilmorph?? :lol:

Halfway my turnset, I moved enough Firebows towards the Western Front to take out a small annoyance:

Hey Perpy, we're baaaacckkk!

Two turns later I feel confident we can reach Taxation by the end of the Golden Age, so I launch it:

Balseraphs are killed soon after:

I soon realised we wouldn't have enough cash to get Taxation before the end of the GA, so our civ organised a yardsale:

Special mention:

We STILL haven't gotten any Adepts, so I went ahead and built a Mages Guild here and a Cave of Ancestors will finish soon. The Adept is halfway built. Finish it!

Overview:

I haven't touched the hammers yet, so Mardoc, if you remember, just make some Scouts and bring the hammers to Ithralia. which will get the NE.

I didn't really understand where Darrell wanted the HE, so I just started building it in a decent city closest to our next target.

The Save:

Attachments

• RB-EitB-SG1 AD-0130.CivBeyondSwordSave
    256.4 KB · Views: 48
Looking good! For the record, when I swapped to teching Trade, no one was willing to trade techs with us, and I wanted to go RoK during our Golden Age :). I do agree Sanitation was necessary (heck I built three Farms during my turn due to lack of food), but I would have probably stuck with Taxation to speed all that up, given we are running a Cottage Economy.

Darrell

Darrell, our cities had 1-2 food surplus. We really needed Sanitation (especially when running Conquest).

... and this is why I loathe tech trading. No offense, guys, you're playing well, but :rolleyes:.

Alright, no tech trading Charadon game next. :)

Mardoc, could you check city micro before doing anything? Specifically, set cities to max growth (we really need health resources, or <gasp> some Granaries! :D

... and this is why I loathe tech trading. No offense, guys, you're playing well, but :rolleyes:.

The game is pretty much finished at this point, in my opinion. We could have spammed Firebows (or warriors -> firebows upgrade) for the rest of the game and we would probably win. At least with tech trade we can try some new toys.

But, yeah, tech extortion is really easy to do in FfH.

Suggestions:

*The golden hammer in Ithralia can be settled this turn, if you guys want it.

*Send a scout to meet the Bannor and Ljosalfar thorugh Doviello lands.

*What to build with out GEng that will spawn soon? The Bone Palace for more golden age fun?

If anyone builds a Granary I will hunt you down and kill you :mad:.

If the Hammer is in the NE city, then settle it ASAP!

I had actually thought tech trading was off this game, I usually leave it off in my private games. The extortion of techs for peace is particularly broken and abusive. That said, when in Rome...:mischief:.

Darrell

Top Bottom