The sky isn't falling when you don't get..

microbe

Cascaded Mansion
I am playing my first C3C epic game with Chinese in Monarch, normal AI aggression. I decreased corruption to 60% so I don't have to build FP.

In this game I shooted for Philosophy, and didn't get it the first, so I didn't get a free tech. I also didn't get ivory, so Korea built The Statue of Zeus in 230 BC. Korea also built Knights Templar. Wose, they are next to me.

Pretty bad, huh? I was ranked about No. 10 out of 12.

But the sky wasn't falling. Fortunately I built the Great Library and could keep up in the research. After I got Rider I went to take out Japan. Then strongest CIV, Inca (pink), declared war on Mongol, so I joined the war and took some cities.

Then I attacked Korea. Surprisingly they were not so strong. Ancient Cavalry caused some trouble but they didn't have too many of it so was easily beaten by my horde of Riders. Crusaders were taken out pretty fast too. Soon I've got all wonders from Korea, including Leonard's Workshop. I've also got all the luxury resources so almost all my citizens are happy.

After that the only CIV stronger than me was Inca. I skipped all unnecessary techs and went straight to Steam Power. I traded Steam Power with Inca and Iroquois after a few turns and got like 400 gpt. My research was at full speed. So I went to Industrialization (built Universal Sufferage), Scientific Method (got a SL and rushed TOE, then got Atomic Theory and Electronics for free, and built Hoover Dam). In the mean time, seems AI just went to the Nationalism/Communism/Espionage path, which was useless IMO.

I think I am doing really well now in Industrial Age. Now is 1455AD, and I'm just going to attack Inca as it is the only threat to me (it has great overall culture: 47346, vs me 23731). Look at the attached minimap, the biggest empire is me, and Inca is the pink one in the middle. I could attack with cavalry and infantry, but Inca just got Replaceable Parts too, so I am not at a big advantage (except maybe by quantity), so I might just wait to get Tank first. Suggestions?

The lesson is that don't panic if you don't get Philosophy or Statue of Zeus. You could catch up later. No single thing could determin your fate. The overall strategy is more important.

Gotta leave for Las Vegas, and continue the game after I come back. Merry Christmas to all of you! ;)

You don't need any wonders. I panic when I don't get coal for example. On the higher difficulty levels you had better get used to not having them.

Well, I certainly don't panic if I'm not first to philosophy or anything else.

I'm on the brink of wrapping up a game on Demi-god where I was almost a half-age behind in tech until the early Industrial Age. The only pre-Industrial Wonders I got were the Statue of Zeus (which was pretty much useless as by the time I built it the AI had Knights and Musketmen) and Newton's University. As a lot of people on the boards have mentioned, the only thing that's harder to overcome on the higher levels is the AI's tech lead and production bonus. Once you overcome that, it's all academic

Its nice to know that there are other people, besides me, that are enjoying the game and not worrying too much about how and why things work. I was beginning to think, reading certain other threads, that I was the odd one out!

Also, for me, winning isnt everything in this game.... having fun trying is all :)

Well, I am finally experiencing a higher level then Chieftain (I am pathetic . . . leave me alone), and wow, what a change!! I have gotten ZILCH wonders, and I have actually have this funny thing called "money". Hehe, time to change me style a gameplay a bit I guess . . .

There's a learning curve no doubt. When I first played Civ 3 this summer after not having played since Civ 1 I had to start out on Warlord. It's all trial and error.

Don't give up though. Play until the bitter end. I didn't get coal and had to fight 3 bigger/richer/more tech civs to get it. Managed to get a couple of alliances and claw my why back up to the top.

The most satisfying wins come when you have to work extra hard to fight and claw your way back into contention.

Originally posted by Brewster
The most satisfying wins come when you have to work extra hard to fight and claw your way back into contention.
Completely agree. :)

A favorite option of mine if someone else gets a coveted wonder, is to go and take it!

Anyway, microbe, with your position, that's a very small border you have with them; little room to maneuver (unless you coordinate seaborne assaults; or take the purple one first.) Perfect for Defending.

So if you could fortify and then get them to attack you, that would let you grind them down with artillery and then step out with cav and smush the remains. Cav's extra move lets you get back into forts before their turn. :D

Whatever you do, don't let them bribe your neighbors to join their cause... a two (or three) front war can be ugly.

I am learning this as well. I also have learned that when AIs are attacking one another, they are weaker, and that is a prime time to join in.

I was on top, playing Monarch, couldn't attack for over 9 turns do to anarchy, 7 nations at war with me, all at my level(I had ToE so I was two advances ahead, and I lost 2 cities, why'd I quit you ask? The LAG, i couldn't stand 3 minute turns, other than that, I was fine

I found that the most peculiar thing about Civ3 was that Chieftain was actually harder than some of the higher levels, due to the AIs being better able to trade tech. On chieftain, the AI are so far behind that the player has to personally discover every tech, which makes things more difficult.

I find I can win without any wonders, and its not even that much harder. BUT, when I do get a wonder, it makes me think - could I have won without this? ;)

Things I can't live without, however: Iron in the Ancient Age or Coal in Industrial. I'd be especially crippled if none of my neighbors had Iron close by so I can't seize it quickly. Then I'm screwed, and I'd have to play peacefully until I can make a trade or find an island with it...:mad:

Top Bottom