Getting Civ 5 to run flawlessly.

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
This is a bit of everything post.. I believe this does belong in Tech Support,

Pretty much right now while i can run Civ 5, my greedy/materialistic side is taking over and I just wish I could play Civ 5 without any drops in frame rates, as well as Hotseat wouldn't load slowly each civ I play.. that really puts me off :(

ANYWAYS.

What kind of PC should I get, and how much would it cost, preferably, if you are going to use a site, use one from Ireland or one that would deliver to Ireland.

Though, actually, I don't even have money, but one man can dream right?

This is a bit of everything post.. I believe this does belong in Tech Support,

Pretty much right now while i can run Civ 5, my greedy/materialistic side is taking over and I just wish I could play Civ 5 without any drops in frame rates, as well as Hotseat wouldn't load slowly each civ I play.. that really puts me off :(

ANYWAYS.

What kind of PC should I get, and how much would it cost, preferably, if you are going to use a site, use one from Ireland or one that would deliver to Ireland.

Though, actually, I don't even have money, but one man can dream right?

Can you dream in the 2 grand price range? That would be a laptop. Maybe 1 1/2 grand for a desktop.

I was enduring Civ V on a duo core 1.8 Ghrtz 2Gig Ramm. The only redeeming factor was that it had a nvidea 4600 dedicated graphics. That was under XP and DX9.

I now have a Dell XPS with 3d Glasses/3d led screen. I7 2670QM 2.2 8G Ramm Nvidea 555M with optimization.

So yes laptops handle the game, and even some laptops if one has the patience. My dell even hooked up to a 4 year old 60" Pioneer Plasma via hdmi, looks great zoomed in and out while playing CivV. I am still dreaming to have a 32" or 40" 3D LED screen to hook up to one day.

I was enduring Civ V on a duo core 1.8 Ghrtz 2Gig Ramm. The only redeeming factor was that it had a nvidea 4600 dedicated graphics. That was under XP and DX9.

I now have a Dell XPS with 3d Glasses/3d led screen. I7 2670QM 2.2 8G Ramm Nvidea 555M with optimization.

So yes laptops handle the game, and even some laptops if one has the patience. My dell even hooked up to a 4 year old 60" Pioneer Plasma via hdmi, looks great zoomed in and out while playing CivV. I am still dreaming to have a 32" or 40" 3D LED screen to hook up to one day.

I'm still dreaming to have a 3k extreme gaming copmuter :mischief: if only I could go to a bank and type in rosebud three-four times :mischief:

I don't think any PC can handle Civ V.

Throw together the current best stuff:

I7 3800 series hex core, watercooled to 5 GHz
32 Gb 3000 Mhz ram
Rampage IV extreme
Raid 0 Sata III SSDs
Tri crossfire 7970s.

Run Civ V and get up to the end game. Clicking on end turn will still lag that system and cause it to choke, squel and stutter like an Intel 486 CPU.

That's why a lot of people consider this game to be poorly optimised.

I don't think any PC can handle Civ V.

Throw together the current best stuff:

I7 3800 series hex core, watercooled to 5 GHz
32 Gb 3000 Mhz ram
Rampage IV extreme
Raid 0 Sata III SSDs
Tri crossfire 7970s.

Run Civ V and get up to the end game. Clicking on end turn will still lag that system and cause it to choke, squel and stutter like an Intel 486 CPU.

That's why a lot of people consider this game to be poorly optimised.

How much did you spend on that PC? Aren't they changing the way game behaves with graphics and in-between turns?

That's not my PC, its just an example spec of the current best you can get.

I'm using X58 still, and bought a hex core I7 980 for it instead because there's virtually no difference between X58 and X79 when it comes to games.

Even with 4.4 Ghz on an Intel hex core, 12gb fast ram, SSD and SLI GTX 560 tis, this game becomes almost unplayable with the end turn lag in the end game, and I've heard from people with higher end graphics cards that they still have the same problems.

I only play strategy and RPG games, so I don't bother with high end graphics cards, as running two mid range ones has provided more performance for the cost for the last few generations, plus all the high end graphics cards keep on going obsolete far too quickly nowadays. My GTX 560 ti SLI setup was the most I've ever spent on graphics card, and I'm deciding to keep them and X58 until the next gen of 16nm CPUs and GPUs in 2014.

I didn't even need X58, but back then the I7 920 came out long before the I5 CPUs did and I needed a quad core upgrade from my core 2 duo, and then I wanted an Intel hex core and SSD, really just for this one game.

Top Bottom