German 105mm FH-18 Howitzer

Gary Childress

Student for and of life
As always, thanks to Vuldacon for the polished up image. This was a great learning experience for me in working with palettes. We had the same problem with this as the British 3.7inch gun. There was a fog around the original FLCs in the game due to some subtle smoke shades. Anyway, here is the unit, obviously fighting on the Eastern Front. :lol:

The 10.5 cm leFH 18 was the standard divisional field howitzer [of Germany] used during the Second World War. It was designed and developed by Rheinmetall in 1928 and entered service with the Wehrmacht in 1935. The leFH18 remained in service with the German Army until 1945. Before 1938 the leFH 18 was exported to Hungary and Spain. 53 units were also exported to Finland, where they were known as 105 H 33.

Source: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5_cm_leFH_18

Download here

Thanks Oz! :) I had a working animation finished that worked in the game. Wasn't as crisp, but Vuldacon added extra flair to it. Also the attack animation is a little slow in the GIF here. I think it runs a bit faster in the FLC.

The wheels are kind of funny. In Bryce they are actually spinning backwards, however, when rendered, they look more like they are going forward. I had it the other way around at first, the way you would expect, but it really looked like the unit was moving forward while the wheels were spinning backward. It looks like Bryce maybe tries to add a little of the effect you see on fast moving spoked wheels IRL. But it looked a little funny with that effect when the wheels are moving slowly.

Excellent Unit Gary :goodjob: Turned out great...you might consider using translucent white smoke sometime for smoke areas rather than the Dark Smoke. The Attack smoke Dark Ring could use the Light smoke for example for a different effect. It all looks very good as it is and the contrast difference between the dark and light Smoke has its own good effect so I am just mentioning this as a possibility you might like to experiment with for future units.

The "Fog" was simply a "smoke" shade that was applied to the Background rather than pure magenta as indexed. Check your background magenta Color in Bryce to make sure it is set correctly.

I may have to do another shade of pink for the background. Although, usually when I check the background in the BMP storyboard it shows up as 250,0,250. :confused:

should be 255 0 255
...To Clarify...you can use what you want for the background color as long as you have that color set on the palette as Transparent. IF the "Normal" Unit Palette is used with the Long Range Subtle "smoke" shades, those light magenta shades will match closer to the Light Magenta background better than the indexed Pure Magenta used as the Transparent Color on the palette. This then applies the extremely light "smoke" shade as the Closest match for your Background and you then have a "smoke" shade as the Background rather than a Transparent one...hope that makes sense. For this reason, IF you use the Normal Unit Palette, it is best to set the Background Color as Pure Magenta.

should be 255 0 255
...To Clarify...you can use what you want for the background color as long as you have that color set on the palette as Transparent. IF the "Normal" Unit Palette is used with the Long Range Subtle "smoke" shades, those light magenta shades will match closer to the Light Magenta background better than the indexed Pure Magenta used as the Transparent Color on the palette. This then applies the extremely light "smoke" shade as the Closest match for your Background and you then have a "smoke" shade as the Background rather than a Transparent one...hope that makes sense. For this reason, IF you use the Normal Unit Palette, it is best to set the Background Color as Pure Magenta.

Woops. Sorry. My mistake, I mean't 255,0,255. When I check the background of the units, the pink, with the eye dropper, the dropper says that the color is 255,0,255. :confused:

But I think I get what you are saying about a background that isn't quite 255,0,255-that the background will then match to a smoke shade and turn the background the color of the smoke shade instead of 255,0,255.

That is correct Gary...this is what happened with the Attack Flc for some reason and what was causing the "Fog" you mentioned. You can check the Background Color of the Storyboards to make sure they are correct for new units if you have any doubts.

Aaaaaall right...going to my mod!!!:lol:

Beautiful and useful unit, man!! It serves me well, I need a lot of artillery like this!!:goodjob:

Naaaahhh...so I don't gonna use it anymore.:hmm:

Hehehehehe!! A joke, of course!!

It's good to know that even with the Civ4 still has good units being made to Civ3:rockon:. I thank you.

Top Bottom