SLI / No SLI big frame rates issues - pls help

machou

Chieftain
Hello,

I'm having big frame rates issues (be it in SLI or without SLI) behavior is the game.

I have 2 Point Of View Charged TGT GTX 580 on my system, and either on SLI or without I'm only getting 15 FPS max..based on FRAPS. Game is very slow in between turn (frame rate drops to 0).

I've played other DX11 games (Metro included, which with everything maxed out gives me a smooth experience).

What I've done so far :
- reinstalled the gfx drivers
- updated the gfx drivers
- disabled/enabled SLI
- lowered resolution (from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200) frame rate is exactly the same
- deleted CIV 5 steam installation
- reinstalled CIV 5 from steam
- updated to Seven SP1

And I'm still having these issues. Anyone else having an idea about these frame rates issues ? It's weird because of all the games I have, it's the only one giving me problems. I've read all the benchmarks of the GTX 580 with CIV 5, and they all get as an average around 60 to 80 FPS at worst using res 1920x1200 and AA maxed out.

I love this game, but I can't play it like this :-( any hints or has anyone been able to resolve similar issue ?

Thank you

get two more monitors.

While getting more monitors is counterintuitive it actually should fix the problem. You see your problem isn't too weak a GPU, the problem is too powerful. What is happening is your GPUs are so good that the FPS becomes CPU constrained so the goal is to shove enough work onto the GPUs to actually slow them enough that your FPS is no longer CPU limited

Have you tried Dx9? Civ5 sometimes is buggy on some specs. What CPU and ram do you have?

Yeah tried DX9, but it's "ugly" and It does not let me play with settings in High..

I had 2 GFX 285 in SLI, and played CIV 5 with it, had also the same frame rates as today...I though my self at the time, well on such high resolutions and DX11 my 2 285 were obsolete, so I bought 2 580..for the same result...kind of frustrating !!!

My CPU is a Core i7-960 at default clock speed and I have 4GB of RAM (Win7 x64)

I really don't understand why is it so slow, I'll post some screenshot with the frame rates to illustrate what is hapening.

If you have any more sugestions keep'em coming :) I'm desperate!

get two more monitors.

While getting more monitors is counterintuitive it actually should fix the problem. You see your problem isn't too weak a GPU, the problem is too powerful. What is happening is your GPUs are so good that the FPS becomes CPU constrained so the goal is to shove enough work onto the GPUs to actually slow them enough that your FPS is no longer CPU limited

Didn't know if something like that is possible... anyway is so, it may be not neccesary to buy another monitor; simply underclock your system (Underclock is the opposite of overclock, you nerf your card speed).

Another hint: There are some old and incompatible mods that cause massive lag, are you using any mods or just vanilla?

Didn't know if something like that is possible... anyway is so, it may be not neccesary to buy another monitor; simply underclock your system (Underclock is the opposite of overclock, you nerf your card speed).

Another hint: There are some old and incompatible mods that cause massive lag, are you using any mods or just vanilla?

Underclocking would wreck the point of having two GTX 580s

Underclocking would wreck the point of having two GTX 580s

Agreed, I don't think having a powerfull system would slow down demanding games, all the other games I have, metro included run amazingly fast.

I'll keep searching and testing, if you guys have any other ideas would be great.

Agreed, I don't think having a powerfull system would slow down demanding games, all the other games I have, metro included run amazingly fast.

I'll keep searching and testing, if you guys have any other ideas would be great.

It is specifically how civ is coded that your absurd GPUs cause FPS to crash due to CPU bottle-necking, for the average person this is demonstrable by having them set their res to the minimum

Top Bottom