Please Read: Welcome to the Civ-V GOTM

I assume that you are using Internet Explorer to access the internet? If so, when you click on the save link in the Announcement thread, you should get the option to open or save. When you click on Save it will take you to the file system where you have to find the folder I specified before, where the Civ5 saves are kept. When you find it, you should click on save and it should save it in that folder. Then you can start the game and load it.

Win 8.1.

It says I have the option to save, but when I go to browse for the area to save in it only gives me the option to keep opening.

you can also save it to your desktop then find the single player saves folder and drag it there. for windows it generally goes: Open Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civ5 > Saves and then drop it into Single folder. when you start Civ5 and go to Load it should be at the top of your selections.

I have a question, as I've never played a GOTM before.

Is there something specific I have to do to prove I don't cheat, besides submit the VC save?

People mention mods, etc, but I'm not sure I've understood everything.

Presumably someone just checks my save for evidence of tampering or something, right?

That's all good by me, just want check I am doing everything right before I start the game (India Deity).

I have a question, as I've never played a GOTM before.

Is there something specific I have to do to prove I don't cheat, besides submit the VC save?

People mention mods, etc, but I'm not sure I've understood everything.

Presumably someone just checks my save for evidence of tampering or something, right?

That's all good by me, just want check I am doing everything right before I start the game (India Deity).

If you "just play" the save game without doing anything different than when you load any other normal saved game, you're fine. So: no modding (I believe some UI mod is allowed, but I personally don't use any) and no peeking in the save game file, the opening actions or after actions threads. Just play by yourself and try to learn from your experience, upload the saved game after VC or defeat and then, if you want, report about your game, what you learned, provide some nice screenshots and learn from other people's experiences.

You do not have to prove you're not a cheater. If you are, you simply cheat on yourself. Besides, you can't see the rankings of other people's finsh dates/scores and VCs, so you'd have to cheat much to be sure to end on first place, which would lead to unrealistic finish dates and scores. Many experienced players in GOTM have a good feeling for how many turns and what scores are possible in certain games, so you might get caught. Playing fair is the only way you keep it fun for yourself.

I play GOTMs for myself, not to prove how good I am. I'm not that good at Civ V, but I like the GOTM very much, because I see a little improvement in my games over time. In the beginning, I always ended ranked very low. I'm getting better scores lately, but still, no spectacular results. I just want to learn better strategies and tactics for this game. Good luck with the India GOTM, it looks like a tough one!

EDP is essentially correct. :thanx:

The one other thing is that you do not reload the game to redo any of the things that happen. You should set your autosave interval to 1 turn in case your game crashes so that when you reload, you only need to replay the immediate turn and you should try to do that following, as closely as possible, what you had done before the crash to try to make sure no outcomes changed.

Posting about your game is the most important learning tool because playing from a common save allows you to compare what you have done to how others did it. We hope this provides fairly direct comparability to allow you to learn as you play. You are also free to discuss strategies and how they fared.

Best of luck in your game.

I already said I'm not a cheater, so no need to labour that point again. But I was under the impression that there was some way in which GOTM staff checked the files, that's all.

I already had to reload because the game wouldn't let me get past a prompt to 'Choose research', bt when I clicked it, all the techs were unavailable :S Anyone ever have that bug?

I took a screencast of this moment just in case someone wanted to accuse me of foul play.

Where do I report my game?

If you wish to report the tech bug you can PM either lief or myself with the pertinent details and attach the screenshot. You don't need to publicly post these event unless you just want to. You can also post the bug issue in the Bugs thread too. I haven't heard of it based on your description but I'm also not familiar with all the bugs. It may exist and there may be an explanation or fix for it in the Bugs Section.

When you submit the save, it goes through GotM's utility to verify the save wasnt altered or modified. (bc1's mod is purely graphical and is acceptable for use.) We still have an extra utility for the Beaker Overflow bug but it is rarely used since the patch fixed said abuse. We have excluded some saves in the past for improper gameplay but it is very rare, maybe once for me in the last year of my GotMs.

Where can I go to post the story of my game?

Where can I go to post the story of my game?

the TSG After Actions threads are for finished results. the Opening Action threads are for details of the first 100 (or so) turns. and the Announcement thread is just to discuss the starting screen shot and/or game settings but never to post in once you've opened the save.

EDP Mentions a UI mod, which one would this be? (I play with Enhanced User Interface and was wondering if I have to turn it off):confused:

I started tsg109 earlier today, when I remembered a question I had meant to ask some time ago. I don't know if it's the right thread or even the right forum, but since this has occured around the times I've played gotm's, I thought I'd try it here first.

It seems that if you finish a modded game without any mods active, the in-game Hall of Fame loses all records of all finished games. This has happened to me before, since I don't always remember to activate IGE, if I continue a saved game from an edited map and finish the game. And since gotm-maps seem, atleast to me, to be modded a little (with IGE or similar), I thought maybe the last HoF-clearance happened because of me finishing tsg108 or tsg107. Is this possible, and if so, is there any way to avoid this?

I started tsg109 earlier today, when I remembered a question I had meant to ask some time ago. I don't know if it's the right thread or even the right forum, but since this has occured around the times I've played gotm's, I thought I'd try it here first.

It seems that if you finish a modded game without any mods active, the in-game Hall of Fame loses all records of all finished games. This has happened to me before, since I don't always remember to activate IGE, if I continue a saved game from an edited map and finish the game. And since gotm-maps seem, atleast to me, to be modded a little (with IGE or similar), I thought maybe the last HoF-clearance happened because of me finishing tsg108 or tsg107. Is this possible, and if so, is there any way to avoid this?

Leif and I make our maps without IGE, afaik. We use WorldBuilder located in Steam's Civ5 SDK tools. It is not a mod but a game-provided Utility, among others. (When in steam, hover the mouse over Library and click on Tools to see a list of game utilities Steam provides from the game publishers. Alphabetically it will be near the bottom in the S's for Sid Meier's... SDK.)

Using WorldBuilder lets you create scenarios and edit maps and is not considered a mod for HoF records or Steam Achievements. The HoF clearance you are mentioning hasnt happened because of any Mods we use for game creation, afaik, unless someone has better insights into this. Hope this helps steer you to some HoF clearance answers.

Thanks
HR

OK, thank you HR for the quick answer :goodjob: . I thought so, just wanted to make sure. Maybe the last "clearance" was in fact because of finishing an edited map without mods, I just didn't remember that the map was edited :(. But atleast I can play tsg's without worrying about that :).

Can anyone of you please tell me from where can I download cotm
Thanks

Thanks, but I can not find the link. If you are talking about the link in the top 'Civ5 - Game Of The MonthJoin our popularCiv5Game Of The Month.' . It shows forbidden 404. Thanks

Sorry, do not want to put a link here as you should learn where it is. Please find it in the screenshot below:

Attachments

• Link_to_Save.jpg
    Link_to_Save.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 439
Top Bottom