Pacifists

BurnBabyBurn

Warlord
Why is it so many discuss the merit of culture/science and time Victory and not good old fashioned Domination. What has happened to the warmongering in modern Civilization...What good is your archer when it sits there not protecting your Civilization it sits there collecting so much dust when you move it, it no longer fires. I call out you Pacifistic Souls to pick up your Spears and Nuclear Weapons and lob them on a friend first. Yes, stab a loyal Civ in the back and then from there feel the fury of being loathed by the entire world. Is there a greater feeling? North Korea, would agree with me here :p

I think that war is bad so never do warmongering in Civ and try to build large peaceful civ on large map. (Large maps more or less remind reality, because world with 8 nations looks absurd). I even never razed single city because of that :) It is shame that Deity is literally not possible for peaceful wide gamestyle. (Of course I can understand fun of warmongering in games, not need to justify it. I just do it only in those games which don't really have peaceful way).

Domination to me almost feels like I'm exploiting the AI's inability to properly defend itself. The only advantage they have is numbers, but that's easily counteracted by their tendency to needlessly throw things away.
That said, I enjoy a good Domination game once in a while (Zulus are my favourite) but I find other VCs to be more interesting.

There are two reasons. First, as was said, it feels cheap to exploit the poor AI. Second it takes more real life hours to finish it.

Domination is easy and hooked on phonics, makes dudes-->smash face. Theres no infrastructure strategy because all your puppets will compensate for poor internal planning, and most of your cities(capitols) are in great spots, making your cities worth more. Cultural victorys are really difficult on Deity, you can go the whole game playing it perfect and a runaway can still ruin it for you. That's why we don't talk about domination to much, theres nothing really to talk about.

Maybe it's a mixture. I like CV by way of war.

Warmongering is more like a mean to an end than an end itself. As others mentioned, it's usually much less challenging than other victory types because of the deficient AI. Personally, I enjoy establishing a global network of trade routes, and war dec'ing generally gets in the way of that so I'll keep my warmongering to a minimum.

I don't mind mixing it up in a slugging match with a couple of the neighbors, but I find trying to take every Capital on the map VERY tedious, given that I'm always playing with at least 8 players and more often 10-12.

Taking out one or two neighbors isn't so arduous, and you can actually maintain good relations with a couple allies if you play it well. Trying to kill everyone is a chore.

Even when I go all out war I often don't go for a Dom victory, it's a bit tedious. I just use my spoils of war to easily bring any one of the other victory conditions. One of my favourites is to take the caps of the super-cultural civs, steal a bunch of wonders and GWs, and then influence the uncultured swine that I haven't yet stepped on.

Art Theft! Reeeeeeeeeeeally :p

This sounds like stealing the Golden Arches of McDonald's and selling them off as your own creation. I sort of can appreciate the use of war to win by shady means. Also the fact that the AI has pumped up it's culture and ignored it's military...

The hardest part of Domination is not the Capitols, it's a tedious map. The more flat and less forest/bumpy a map...faster you can run the ponies of war

Even when I go all out war I often don't go for a Dom victory, it's a bit tedious. I just use my spoils of war to easily bring any one of the other victory conditions. One of my favourites is to take the caps of the super-cultural civs, steal a bunch of wonders and GWs, and then influence the uncultured swine that I haven't yet stepped on.

Below Deity it's too easy and at Deity the mass of units can get aggravatingly annoying :/

I do it sometimes but it's very time consuming.

Heretic! (just kidding)

But seriously, as the author of my favourite Dom VidLP (the fast Babylon one), it's strange to hear you say you don't like it as much as peace.

Personally, I find peaceful games at Emperor and above woefully boring.

I simply don't enjoy civ's combat as much. My only favorite type of combat is naval because it is so stupid easy due to no terrain restrictions.

Cultural victory, however, is usually a dragged out boring process where you just have to do certain things and hope nobody runs away.

All in all, playing vs AI gets boring after a while.

I find it just gets way too tedious moving slabs of units into position constantly.

I don't mind it in the early game but later on it just gets boring.

Well there are 4 VCs so... you know... you have alot of options. I think the best thing to do is to learn all 4 ways to win at Deity. All in all they all really do go together IMO. I do agree that moving armies all over the map gets to be a pain but after you get bored of SV or Diplo or even the ever so tricky Peaceful CV it is time to learn how to take over the world. Personally I click way to fast and lose alot of units when I go straight Domination. If you don't mind waiting you can make it easier with Nukes/Stealth/Xcoms but I guess that is just another form of SV. Anyway it is just a game and like most games once you get good enough at it, it can become boring no matter how you play or what VC you choose lol. You would think Multiplayer would be the answer but that is another mess that you might not want to be a part of lol!!!

Ofcourse if the game gets too easy and you still want to play you can put alot of restrictions on your game if you like that sort of thing like ummmm Grens fav the no trade with any civ and no roads whatsoever lol. Oh the pain of moving troops all over the map with no roads!

I think the SV and Diplo Victories are boring as hell. I only go for them when I've already all but won the game in domination or culture, just to speed things up.

Top Bottom