SL Wiki Upload List

I built a few wiki pages for Techumseh's scenarios and added a link to his site instead of a zipped file. I think I did the same for Catfish's LotR scenario too. This made sense to me as it allowed them to upload updates without having to repeat the process at the SL wiki. The majority of scenarios I uploaded were much older and the authors are no longer active members. If I uploaded any scenarios with alterations it was completely unintentional and I will be careful to avoid this in future.

The list of recent scenarios stretched back a few years because we were hardly inundated with new scenarios and it looked better than a list with only a couple of scenarios on it. I intended to add more content and tidy up the wiki as and when I could. I think the last time it was updated properly before I started tinkering was possibly back when St. Leo was still running it. I didn't see myself as the administrator of the wiki. I just did what I could when I could. I know the site could have been more professional but I will continue to do what I can when I can and anyone who wants to help is more than welcome to add too.

I tend to agree with Catfish about linking to scenarios that already have pages in the CFC database, at least to begin with. If later on we have the spare time to double up on the wiki then great. I guess if the CFC database is ever lost the whole site would probably be in trouble and the SL wiki would be gone too so there is no real safeguard by doubling up zip files! At the moment our priority should be to get the pages back up, we can work out what to do with the downloads when that is finished and we have the luxury of time.

If the database is ever lost... That's a good question. I intend to ask for full backups of the wiki every couple of months, database and all. Can we get the same for the CivFan database? If not, that's a very real issue, especially considering what sort of environment we just left.

I'm sure that if anything major ever did happen, such as a nuclear war or cyber terrorism taking down the net, we would have bigger things to worry about than a few scenarios being unavailable. I'm sure that, god forbid, CFC was ever in the sort of state Apolyton was in we would have some prior warning and could take steps to safeguard things. At the very least the individual members would have all the scenarios safe on their hard drives. However on this issue you know better than me so do what you think is right.

:lol: Just you.
Exactly; which is why the SL versions never got updated. If it wasn't already clear, I should point out that I've never uploaded any files to the SL wiki.

First of all anyone and everybody is free to do whatever they want with their scenarios. I can't put limits or restrictions on uploading normal civ stuff to the wiki. There is no central librarian accepting scenarios and uploading them. The wiki is open to anyone to post whatever civ files they want.

The current work that is being done is to recreate the old scenario pages and copy the really old html files into the wiki itself. I'm not going to make any decisions on where a scenario should be hosted. As far as I know the majority of "new" scenarios were uploaded by the original creators themselves and were intended to be uploaded to the wiki.

And really, who is to say who is active or not? I'm not about to start telling people how they should offer scenarios to the community. If you want to link your files to the database that's fine. No problem. If someone wants to upload in two places then good for them. No problem.
I think you've missed my point. I'm not talking about what users are going to do with their files on the wiki, I'm talking about what you and McMonkey are going to do when you restore it (or are you going to leave it empty?); and if McMonkey routinely uploads files to the wiki on behalf of others, like last time around, then he's also going to be lumped with the job of maintaining them. I'm trying to make his job easier and, at the same time, maintain the versions of the files that he sets up. I'm not trying to create rules for anyone, but a procedure for you two. If the file-owner uploads two versions, that's his problem, isn't it?

I built a few wiki pages for Techumseh's scenarios and added a link to his site instead of a zipped file. I think I did the same for Catfish's LotR scenario too. This made sense to me as it allowed them to upload updates without having to repeat the process at the SL wiki. The majority of scenarios I uploaded were much older and the authors are no longer active members.
Bingo!

I totally get your point Catfish and I would be happy to follow a set of best practices when uploading scenarios. Past mistakes have only been made because it was free for anyone to upload content if they had the energy to do so and there were no real guidelines. Some structure could only be beneficial IMHO.

Regarding SL Membership. As far as I'm concerned the only criteria for being considered a SL member is that you post here. If members post graphics or scenarios then great, but there are many ways to contribute, such as contributing your technical expertise, playtesting or just commenting on peoples projects. There are certainly no initiations or funny handshakes required.

I have un-stuck this thread and posted a link to it in post#1 of the SL Info thread so it can be found easily when it needs updating. I have been really busy this week and have been unable to start on the tips section yet. Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend. I guess this will be a bit of an ongoing project but I'm sure we will get there eventually!

I think that if the process becomes upload to database > link to wiki then the Scenario League would not benefit. Your argument about maintenance is valid, but by linking back to the CivFan database we would be creating a shell of a site. There is no benefit other than allowing a tinkering designer to automatically mirror a current version of a scenario on both domains. New creations, by default of procedure, would be hosted not as part of a public and open group but as part of a privately owned site.

I view the practice of linking to the database here to be a slippery slope. We spent a very long time proving independence as a group and creating an open and accessible wiki. We also just recently learned how important it is to maintain separation as a means to preservation.

I'm not bashing the database. It's a wonderful thing, but I don't want our group to become chained to it for want of ease of use. Hell, the argument could be made that all info from the wiki should be merged, but then why have we maintained separation?

This is the procedure I'm suggesting for the wiki builders/restorers:
Unless the file-creator wishes otherwise, I'd go for one set of files: for active members with files in the database, link to the download page; for the rest, upload to the wiki. There's also a 10 MB size limit for files in the database. I'm certain the SL site will still end up hosting more than 90% of the scenarios and mods, as most are long finished.
This way the SL links are always up to date with no extra effort on your part. If the file-owner wishes to upload his files to the wiki as well, let him do it, it's a wiki. That doesn't make the wiki a shell for file downloads, although that concept doesn't concern me as much as it concerns you, because it would apply to only a small percentage of files; mostly those from CFC's downloads database, as there are few active alternatives these days. You could always tell the active members to pull their fingers out and make their own damn wiki pages. ;)

Again I disagree. You keep throwing out 90%, small percentages, and 10 MB, but the fact remains that by default if a new scenario has been uploaded to the database it would be linked and not uploaded to the wiki. And then someone has to make a decision as to whether a creator is active or even finished with a scenario and then move the files over? I don't think that will happen.

Your procedure just does not seem beneficial in the long run and will create the same issues we just spent a year correcting.

I can see the debate from both sides. Catfish's argument is more practical and Harry's is more idealistic. I can see no harm in using links to begin with and then uploading the files when the Wiki is rebuilt and we have the spare time to expand on it and maintain it.

I would say that mine is more practical. ;) Let's get this thing up. I'm reposting from the copy I have, I find that faster. I'll be done with the categories tonight, but then I need to focus on spam issues. Let me know if you have any problems.

I just wish I could download the big file as building pages is the sort of thing I do when I want to work on something but my brain is too weary to concentrate fully on my own design projects. Is there any (easy) way of splitting it up into smaller chunks?

I will see if I can reduce the overall file size. The pages are all linked together and the graphics are randomly spread out into different folders so breaking it up would be more work then it's worth.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure of the layout of the file but I suspected that wouldn't be possible. After I have transferred the Tips section I will go through the pages that are up and try and get them into a uniform layout as far as possible, that's if you are just transfering them as they were before. At the moment I'm trying to get the SL Info up to date between playing my PBEM turns, playtesting and hopefully sleeping at some point. Its suddenly got really hectic but that's good for me!

After I have transferred the Tips section I will go through the pages that are up and try and get them into a uniform layout as far as possible, that's if you are just transfering them as they were before.

For the categories, and I guess the one scenario page I built to make sure I got the category right, I am basically matching the old format with some slight modification to make it look good. The last wiki format had some titles that I thought were redundant so I removed them. Do what you think is best. I'll try to match.

...but the fact remains that by default if a new scenario has been uploaded to the database it would be linked and not uploaded to the wiki. And then someone has to make a decision as to whether a creator is active or even finished with a scenario and then move the files over?
I thought we were discussing the restoration process. New scenario? No decision required. Uploader is clearly active. You don't figure in the equation without consultation. He may upload his scenario to the wiki himself or agree for someone else to do it. He may create a wiki entry for his scenario and link it to CFC's database or some other off-site location. His decision.

Your procedure just does not seem beneficial in the long run and will create the same issues we just spent a year correcting.
You want the files centralised; I don't care where they're stored, as long as people can easily obtain the latest versions. That goes for the files I've uploaded as well - which didn't happen last time around. Yes, creating duplicates on the wiki will provide another level of security. It's more maintenance, but if you're prepared to do it, then go ahead. I appreciate the work you're all doing on the site. I'll leave it at that.

Drew, I saw that you logged into the wiki. I've made you a "Bureaucrat" and an "Admin" same as me.

I have started updating the Wiki: the fictional page is created and the first 2 scen pages of this section as well!

I'll keep on adding pages in the coming days

Top Bottom