Civ tier list?

Actually you volunteered. I really hate to pile on here but there are many aspects of your list that I find to be totally unjustifiable. The most egregious of which I have emphasized and briefly commented on, below:

Your brief comments are good and concise - you get it.

Sweden in trash tier shows you haven't played them, I'm sorry.

For all victory types they're incredibly strong. I had my first cultural victory on Deity with them and I had to keep checking it was really Deity. They generate so many great people it's crazy.

Their unique units are strong, and for a blended cultural/domination path, they're my first pick. Easily my favourite civ, and CRIMINALLY underrated.

As a slight sidebar, I know everyone dumps on Byzantium (for good reason), but I would semi-seriously advocate for putting them in a "gamble" tier similar to Spain. You must chop-build Stonehenge. If you manage to pull that off they are actually a really good civ. Sometimes the AI is too quick, however. If you miss it you probably need to re-roll.

An interesting concept. It is possible for Byzantium to generate some super-religion with things that just aren't possible for others, and they do require a lucky start to pull it off (good early production, fewer religion civs on the map).

I'd say they differ from Spain in that the potential payoff is much weaker. A lucky Byzantium will found a religion with an extra belief; a lucky Spain will have a free Settler and will still found a religion - quite possibly a stronger one than Byzantium.

I'd say they differ from Spain in that the potential payoff is much weaker. A lucky Byzantium will found a religion with an extra belief; a lucky Spain will have a free Settler and will still found a religion - quite possibly a stronger one than Byzantium.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Lucky Spain is god-tier, lucky Byzantines are above average (imo). I'm just suggesting to distinguish that from the likes of Denmark, Ottomans, Iroquois, etc - which don't really have a similar mechanism by which they might capitalize on luck.

I'll modify my message.

I just won as Babylon on Prince for Science on turn 398.
Does it make sense to go up to King or Emperor?

I want to be try science again and be either America/Dutch/Denmark instead of Babylon.
I plan to do 3-5 cities.
Are any of these doable?

I take it probably America is least compatible since I am not going to sprawl beyond 5 cities.

My advice is to experiment with all the civilisations, and play to their strengths. So if you play as America, concentrate on early economy and late domination. If you play as Denmark, beeline to Metal Casting, etc.

Have you read Zigziggal's guides?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zigzagzigal/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=8930

They contain good information valid until at least Emperor, sometimes further.

I'll modify my message.

I want to be try science again and be either America/Dutch/Denmark instead of Babylon.
I plan to do 3-5 cities.
Are any of these doable?

I take it probably America is least compatible since I am not going to sprawl beyond 5 cities.

Honestly you may find King & Emperor to be easier and faster since the AI will have more gold for you to extract. If your fundamentals are good the AI won't feel threatening until Immortal.

From your list of preferred civs I guess I would recommend America. Especially on King the AI won't have enough gold to really capitalize on the Dutch UA. And Denmark has nothing to offer in terms of SV. 3-city Tradition NC and then expand to 4-6 cities is a fine strategy for any civ, America included.

Im pretty sure the consensus by now is that the best civ is Poland, with Babylon, korea and the maya being in the same league.

are we talking about any difficulty, any map type, victory condition, standard speed, standard size?

for people who say Poland is mediocre, and somebody who said it's not great for a culture game, you have to actually try it. the UA is awesome for any victory condition since it allows for basically a free tree, effectively allowing you to finish whatever tree you want faster or open a tree earlier than you would otherwise. Plus, the fact that some policies can only be adopted once you enter the era combines very nicely.

mayans are incredible because of the way they can generate really good scientists early, use the great person to fill cs quests/get academy/midgame wonder.

In lower difficulties, science wouldn't matter as much since you won't be behind by a lot, so the warmongering civs are a bit easier to execute with. None of the civs are bad, but to me Indonesia, Ottomans, and Morocco seem a bit weak, or I haven't figured how to play them properly.

I'll modify my message.

I plan to do 3-5 cities.
Are any of these doable?

While the turn time isn't anything the write home, especially for Babylon, I don't think you'll get much resistance on King unless you roll next to a warmonger neighbor. You will most likely still end up with poor neighbors you have to loan money to if you want research agreements. I just finished an Emperor game and even then I don't think many neighbors had more than 600 gold at a time while I'm 5000+ :lol:

I now agree fully as to why Portugal is on the godlike tier. Between the awesome gold and the ease of happiness it's so easy to win pretty much however you want since you have tons of happiness and tons of gold :goodjob:

I admit, I have not played this game much, but why is America rated so low? If you start with many cities, (have around 5 by the time you start a war) and aggressively get science, then become a warmonger! The B17 is a great attack vessel, and Manifest Destiny is great for early game. I played on a median difficulty with 20 civs, and 12 CS, but got into a quick war with Rome and Siam. Siam took Philadelphia, and I conquered Rome by turn 40. I got a science victory on turn 356, and continued playing. I now own two continents, have around 70 cities, and am at war with Persia. Using B17s helped me conquer the Maya, Osaka, Egypt, and Ethiopia. Only Bismarck, The Aztec, The Netherlands, The Ottomans, and The Aztec remain. I am hated by everyone, but because of my massive size, I will win by conquest by turn 600.

I admit, I have not played this game much, but why is America rated so low? If you start with many cities, (have around 5 by the time you start a war) and aggressively get science, then become a warmonger! The B17 is a great attack vessel, and Manifest Destiny is great for early game. I played on a median difficulty with 20 civs, and 12 CS, but got into a quick war with Rome and Siam. Siam took Philadelphia, and I conquered Rome by turn 40. I got a science victory on turn 356, and continued playing. I now own two continents, have around 70 cities, and am at war with Persia. Using B17s helped me conquer the Maya, Osaka, Egypt, and Ethiopia. Only Bismarck, The Aztec, The Netherlands, The Ottomans, and The Aztec remain. I am hated by everyone, but because of my massive size, I will win by conquest by turn 600.

+1 vision is the most redeeming quality America has you'll get more ruins but that's about it. Later era starts benefit America and make them better but that's not really standard settings.

Might be a fun game to roll, Renaissance start World Map

+1 vision is the most redeeming quality America has you'll get more ruins but that's about it. Later era starts benefit America and make them better but that's not really standard settings.

Might be a fun game to roll, Renaissance start World Map

Tile buying is very good for REX. +1 sight also helps with early game worker stealing, map control, and warfare throughout the game. Both UUs are pretty good.

Being near the bottom of a tier list doesn't mean that a civ can't win. It just means that a civ offers comparatively less than others in most situations, making games with that civ slower and more difficult on average. Nothing that you just described was specifically enabled or significantly enhanced by your playing as America. That is actually quite a common occurrence, which explains their presence near the bottom of the list.

Most unique units are considered to be garbage since they are one-dimensional (you must war to make use of them) and/or they are often outdated within 20 turns of being produced in the first place, and/or they replace such a late unit that the outcome of the game should already be decided by that time. The few exceptions to that rule are mid-game ranged units that actually do make a huge difference in conquest speed. Keshik, Camel, CKN, Longbow, etc.

America has two UUs and neither fit that bill. That just leaves Manifest Destiny, which is actually fairly useful. But it alone will only carry America so far up the list.

While the turn time isn't anything the write home, especially for Babylon, I don't think you'll get much resistance on King unless you roll next to a warmonger neighbor. You will most likely still end up with poor neighbors you have to loan money to if you want research agreements. I just finished an Emperor game and even then I don't think many neighbors had more than 600 gold at a time while I'm 5000+ :lol:

I now agree fully as to why Portugal is on the godlike tier. Between the awesome gold and the ease of happiness it's so easy to win pretty much however you want since you have tons of happiness and tons of gold :goodjob:
I did it on a terra map, all the civs are on one continent and it's been hard.
I'm ranked third.

I did it on a terra map, all the civs are on one continent and it's been hard.
I'm ranked third.

Your score/rank means approximately zero for this game, except when going for domination because it can inform the player who the strongest AI is and so who they should target.

Score tells you which AI is becoming the runaway superpower, and a rough (emphasis on the rough) indication of where you stand with respect to the AIs. Other than that though, don't worry about it. Score is useless to victory.

Score tells you which AI is becoming the runaway superpower, and a rough (emphasis on the rough) indication of where you stand with respect to the AIs. Other than that though, don't worry about it. Score is useless to victory.

No religion and a 4 city game dominating everything yet low score because of n oreligion and not much land....agreed that the score is pretty pointless except to find the runaway

Yeah score also heavily favours wide civs. Tall civs have wonders to help make up, but they rarely generate enough score to make up. So a tall civ could be doing better than a wide one but have a lower score because they went tall.

Try playing OCC or as Venice on standard, which most can easily win on Immortal+, and see how low of a score you'll have. ;)

That actually might be a good competition - the lowest winning score in a standard/standard game.

Top Bottom