So what does a Deity Petra tech order look like?

Even on immortal the best tech path is Something that gets you x-bows in a timely fashion and then go take it away from who ever build it lol.

That said, I did get recently with the Shoshone, but I also managed to get 4 workers before T30 so I had farms to pump pop, mines to hammer down, and lux's to sell. Was not in the least bit worth it...

If you get a Petra godmode start, ALWAYS go for it, as usually a big Petra capital will ensure a win. If you miss it, you're usually not THAT far behind; Markets aren't that bad early (if you have neighbors, building early Markets will usually make them throw a trade route or two into your cities). It's not like, say, going for Colossus, where if you miss it you're usually screwed.

My usual tech order for Petra starts is Pottery > AH > Writing > lux tech > beeline. Focus on science (meaning put Caravans and Library into early build order). If you get a trade route up, this'll will be enough for you to hit a 70-75 Petra without falling too far behind - AI routes into you will slash some turns off that time.

Just found this thread so I thought I will try it out.

Got Petra on a poor start. T46 Quick (T70 equivalent on standard). Could be much faster if start was good.

Tech: Pottery > AH > Writing > Beeline
Policy: Tradition > Legalism > Landed Elite > Aristocracy
I skipped lux tech and went OCC before Petra. That means growing to pop 7 and focus production. Petra took 7 turns to build. (again, its Quick speed, so 10 turns on Standard)
Build order: Scout, Scout, Shrine (Got first religion with desert folklore), Granary, Library, Water Mill, Petra (no neighbours so skipped Caravan)
Stole 2 workers
Spent most of the gold on purchasing growth tiles, and then hills later on.

Just found this thread so I thought I will try it out.

Got Petra on a poor start. T46 Quick (T70 equivalent on standard). Could be much faster if start was good.

Tech: Pottery > AH > Writing > Beeline
Policy: Tradition > Legalism > Landed Elite > Aristocracy
I skipped lux tech and went OCC before Petra. That means growing to pop 7 and focus production. Petra took 7 turns to build. (again, its Quick speed, so 10 turns on Standard)
Build order: Scout, Scout, Shrine (Got first religion with desert folklore), Granary, Library, Water Mill, Petra (no neighbours so skipped Caravan)
Stole 2 workers
Spent most of the gold on purchasing growth tiles, and then hills later on.

[/IMG]

Not too many tiles that get benefit from Petra. One oasis and two hills.

Edit.It's Marocco so those 6 flat desert tiles are also ok with petra but not too amazing.

I just got Petra on deity ( it was do-or-die), and I got it by Mining and then beeline currency--not writing. Deity you should be worker stealing a lot. You're getting AH and Wheel anyway. A godly start means mines and pastures, and for that you need workers. And mining is required for chop rush.

Meanwhile my capital is producing military so that I can worker steal and research-by-puppet.

I think one excellent resource to help build Petra on Deity is an early caravan to an AI. That +4 or +5 science a turn is huge early on.

A good strategy needs to balance taking a shot at Petra with not being screwed if you miss. I think the best approach is Oracle into fast Liberty finisher.

Opening build order would be something like Scout-Monument-Scout-Granary-Caravan. You need to grow fast and use Caravan for early science leech. For techs, you probably pick up Animal Husbandry/Mining/Archery and otherwise beeline straight to Philosophy. At Philosophy you get to work on Oracle while teching to Currency.

This way, you have a reasonable chance at Petra, and if it isn't there you still have 2+ cities and an early Liberty finisher that can be used for some other nice thing. You definitely aren't going to get Petra 100% of the time, but that's ok. You aren't really sacrificing much by taking this route.

If you're screwed without Petra, it's not because you went for Petra and failed, but because you started in the middle of the desert.

If you're screwed without Petra, it's not because you went for Petra and failed, but because you started in the middle of the desert.

I think that starts that truly need Petra to function are extremely rare -- I'm not convinced that they even exist. But if your starting dirt is truly that bad, then this is further incentive for going Liberty. Get some cities down and get out of the desert! These situations are also reasonable for building the National College in a non-capital city. You can even build it immediately at Philosophy this way, without needing to wait for Oracle to finish. And then you don't need to feel bad about sending Caravans to grow a non-capital city, since you haven't invested policies in Landed Elite or Monarchy.

A desert start without Petra, and without a religion is one of those lousy starts I prefer to play on Immortal, not Deity. Immortal+lousy start, or Deity+godly start.

I was reading through this thread over the weekend and thought I'd give it a try. I've just recently switched to Deity play from Immortal, and had a couple of near-misses in my first 2 tries w/ Incas. This game I set to Large size (probably made it a bit easier), as the transition to standard from my old Huge map style wasn't going entirely smoothly, so there were 10 civs in this game.

I played as Inca and got a desert start. There were only a few mountains near the capital, but plenty of hills, so I decided to give Petra a shot.

Tech Order was Pottery > Beeline Currency > Beeline Construction > Beeline Philosophy.

Build order was Scout > Scout > Settler (more on this later) > Temple of Artemis (I missed by a good 6 turns but put the gold to good use) > Granary > and then I think it was time for Petra.

City #2 Build oder was Granary > Caravan > whatever….

I stepped on an early culture ruin and went Tradition.

Also stepped on 1 growth ruin.

I found what would be the last ruin at turn 17 and blocked it from a Polish scout with my warrior and scout/archer (the Incan UA came in handy in those hills) until turn 20 and got lucky enough to get faith, and obviously took DF. 2nd religion, and I went Tithe, Swords into PS, then Peace Gardens (4 river cities and screwed up the 5th and didn't settle it next to a lake), then Religious Texts.

I had marble and 2 incense in the capital, but no tech to utilize either until after researching Currency. Stole 1 worker from Poland and 1 from a CS, but they were around turn 25 and couldn't do anything but make farms until I got mining and then terrace farms (didn't help in the Petra build).

I got Petra at t72. 2 other desert start civs were Morocco and Persia (both way up north), but neither had the quality of (unimproved) production tiles I did. At this point, I've built zero infrastructure and am 10th in every demographic category.

I got a 2-city NC at turn 104 then built a third city (detoured to sailing for the extra trade route to build this one up fast for university), then a 4th after getting my 4th trade route.

I built PT at t174, which surprised me because the other two wonders from Architecture went 8-10 turns earlier and tech leader Bismarck had 3 branches of rationalism when I finally got it. Happiness was an issue throughout, my army is puny even with the help of two friendly militaristic CS.

Oxford went on t184 (delayed 2 turns to get biology), my only Observatory went t182 and I'm still sitting # 6 in tech, kicking out 366 BPT (which is low but will go up fast once Research Labs are finished), 75 GPT and 66 CPT.

I saved the game here to post, walk the dog, etc…. My whole 5-city empire is on desert and I only got one stinking oil deposit, so my air defense isn't going to be too much, but I did go Patronage after Tradition so I may be ok here.

I'm not liking my chances, but it was a fun experiment and my capital is now one seriously sexy city (size 20 as happiness issues slowed growth), even with the coastal start and lack of an adjacent mountain. My conclusion (which I may change if I pull out this win) is that it's not a good percentage play at all to go for Petra. The idea of building a 2nd city early just to feed the capital worked out well, but the sacrifice of infrastructure rendered me reliant on good luck in diplomacy to keep from getting steamrolled by my very strong neighbors (Poland, Austria, and runaway Germany). Germany went Autocracy, so I'll probably follow suit to remain BFF with them.

I'll try to post the screenshot here if I can ever figure out how to do this.

I just got Petra on deity ( it was do-or-die), and I got it by Mining and then beeline currency--not writing. Deity you should be worker stealing a lot. You're getting AH and Wheel anyway. A godly start means mines and pastures, and for that you need workers. And mining is required for chop rush.

Meanwhile my capital is producing military so that I can worker steal and research-by-puppet.

If you have deserts, might as well go pottery for a shrine. AI doesn't like desert folklore and getting desert folklore guarantees a religion. After pottery, its AH to see horses and then its a choice between beelining currency or taking either writing or mining. Getting library shaves off research turns while getting mining shaves off building turns. If theres an AI in caravan range its not necessary for library. Getting both library and mining takes too much time. If there are no trees I would skip mining because a couple more mined hills isn't that much better than barren hills.

Do you want petra on deity? No time to research pottery. I was prepared to go without a religion, but my military managed to kill some barbs for Lhasa (faith CS) and I got DF, no shrine.

Do you want petra on deity? No time to research pottery. I was prepared to go without a religion, but my military managed to kill some barbs for Lhasa (faith CS) and I got DF, no shrine.

Can you growth your city as fast without Granary? Are you able to work on the Petra with a 7 pop city capable of working >3 hills without starving?. I think Pottery isn't just for the shrine. Even if you don't want a religion, the Shrine will definitely help if you want to get a growth/production pantheon to help you get Petra faster.

I didn't have wheat/deer start. I grew the food with stolen workers. Put the hammers instead in a rush military, who plundered the snot out of America. That let me buy a couple nice tiles. America didn't last long.

I didn't have wheat/deer start. I grew the food with stolen workers. Put the hammers instead in a rush military, who plundered the snot out of America. That let me buy a couple nice tiles. America didn't last long.

Mm I'll try a straight beeline to see if it can improve timing. And most importantly see if skipping shrine/granary/library will impact the late game.

It's all relative. This worked for me this particular start. If I had calendar resources, Petra would not have happened. IMHO shrine is overrated at times--I mean, 40 hammers just so you can trade 1gpt for 1fpt? In my case, Petra was CLEARLY the better choice. I got a heckuva lot more than 2 food from it, which without wheat is all granary is worth. The caravan alone is 4 food right there.

I played my first game on Deity to try and get Petra. Got it turn 78. My tech was Pottery, Mining, Writing(ruin), Animal Husbandry, Archery(ruin), Masonry -> Currency. I had no science caravans as the Aztecs settled 4 tiles from my capitol and I fought them for 50 turns.

I ended up with my fastest SV to date. Turn 216. Korea+Freedom = win.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25117426/Civ V/2014-08-28_00004.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25117426/Civ V/2014-08-28_00003.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25117426/Civ V/QuickSave.Civ5Save

Top Bottom