-= The Arabian Rebirth =-

Draknith

King
I've read many of the stories posted on this forum, and felt I finally have a game in depth enough to make a couple interesting stories of my own.

First off I'm playing:

Huge Terra map 15 Players

Using Seven05's World Piece Mod 400 turns per era!

Basically, if you like the story let me know. There will be many turns and possibly even an ending you didn't expect. If you don't like the story, there's plenty of other good one's for you to read. No screenshots sorry, as most of this write up is during work without access to my game.

Also, a lot of the backstory will not be in the chapters. I want to keep a fast pace going, but please ask any questions you have, as I would love to post any backstory information.

Thanks

Draknith

Chapter One: Awakening

“Damn it’s cold for a spring’s morning,” Markos Rintan thought to himself as his conscious self awoke in the small Arabian cot he had become so accustomed to. The air outside was unseasonably cold for the territories just outside of Mecca. The locals of the once proud Arabian Empire were now the work force for the Barbarian Leader Daroust Pathmos, who had just recently gained control of this extreme barbarian sect. His goal was the annihilation of the other barbarian tribes at the expense of the poor city-states that surrounded his territory.
Daroust was the unlikely candidate for the position he so rightly gained through savage murder. Gnushi the former leader had reigned for some 47 years, to the astonishment of the Arabs. In fact it was during his reign that light could be seen at the end of the tunnel. Arabs were once again gaining rights to there own identities and actions. Food was abundant, employment was paid, although hardly sustaining, and for a period of time it looked as if Gnushi would actually take the crown that the great Saladin Kings wore, and reestablish the Kingdom. All was destroyed in one night though, as the devious warmonger Daroust entered the city with plans of creating his own empire; an empire of fear and destruction.

“Y’up yet,” questioned an officer in the cot next to Markos?

“Yeah,” responded Markos is a rather congested way.

“Cold ain’it?” The officer returned, whose name Markos was pulling to mind as he lazily opened his eyes.

“Hadn’t taken too much notice of it Nuten,” Markos mumbled as he rolled out of bed.

The cold ran through his whole body as Markos stood up and stretched. This would be an important day indeed Markos thought as the events of last night replayed through his head like a journal being reviewed. It was in the tavern last night, with the high command of the barbarian’s city defense force that Markos learned he would be promoted to Lieutenant in command of the 4th inner division. One of the most important posts to hold rank in, as it was the position of the 4th to secure the gates during times of struggle either in or out of the city. After eight years of service, his time was finally coming due.

“Suh I hear der gonna make ya stars ehh?” Nuten spoke in his usual broken tongue.

“No, just Lieutenant,” Markos replied.

“All da same,” Nuten spoke, “Y’as gots moe ta do nuh.”
Markos turned and smiled a bit at Nuten and replied, “Yeah, I guess you’re right Nuten, but at least I won’t have to smell you anymore at night.”

Nuten let out a quick laugh and patted Markos on the back as they left the tent, “Yeah, it’s a right foul stench it is.”

The sun was rising gently over the horizon as the two made their way to the breakfast tent, or the cran as the troops called it.

“It would be an important day,” Markos continued to play through his head as a shutter went up Markos’ back which filled his body with a small warmth as the full sphere of the sun broke across the land.

Chapter Two: The Initiation

Breakfast was the usual, a hodge podge of selected ingredients, which was usually a low point for Markos day. However, today was different. This would be the last time Markos would be around his fellow front linesman, the 18th infantry div. Of course life was not as grand as it used to be in the corps. Every now and then an elder would come into camp and recollect about days past when the 18th was actually the fodder for archers, when the barbarians were less civilized. Now though, the company was forced into the employment of controlling the local Arabian populace. With the new Warlord in place on the throne however, most acts against this majority population were disregarded to the horror of the Arabians. It wasn’t more than three nights ago that a vicious beating occurred in the district, and authorities did not come out to aid the victim for roughly 18 hours. To the anxiety of Markos, these actions were becoming more and more prevalent, almost encouraged by the upper brass.

“Markos Rintan… Markos Rintan…” Shouted a message boy from the back of the cran.

“Yes,” replied Markos.

The boy straightened up, and took a deep breath as if ready to give his official disposition to the high court.

“You are summoned by the Lord Hugthen, master of all forces, conqueror of Mecca, and seat to the high throne of Mushbeck. Your attendance is to be prompt, and uniforms must be in care. You are to make your way through the grand hall to the chamber of Forthume. There you will be instructed by High Priest Kulhud to your future actions,” spoke the boy turning blue from the lack of oxygen.

“Thank you, I shall leave at once,” responded Markos in official form.

To this jeers of his fellow comrades, Markos left the cran and headed for the palace gates. It would be here that his official promotion would take place. He did not know what to expect, but anxiety did not keep the possible festivities from entering their pictures into Markos’ head.

“Name?!” The guard spoke in a commanding voice.

“Markos Rintan, I have…” Markos said before being cut off.

“…I don’t care what you’re business is here. You are cleared to pass,” the guard said in the same cold voice.

The palace was a beautiful sight to see from the ghettos where his old post used to be.

“Eight years, and yet I’ve never walked these halls before,” Markos said to himself as he strolled through the corridors, trying to take in all the brilliant artistry before his eyes.

It was about five minutes before Markos was able to reach his destination. The anxiety had built up into a frenzy within his mind. Soon he would be in the presence of his new master, one with the temper of a leopard; a gentle creature one minute, and a vicious killer the next. What would await him, Markos wondered as the doors to the hall flung open.

The doors opened slowly, with the sounds of ancient wood creaking. A man on each side of the door, clearly Arabian helped control the momentum the doors generated as they opened ever so faster by the moment. At last they were stopped, and there a well-adorned man stood in the middle of the room. A smaller man directly to the right of what clearly was the high priest motioned to a spot on the floor, directing Markos to come. Markos walked slowly to the spot, and upon arriving kneeled down and bent his head towards the floor. His eyes were now following the criss-crossing patterns in front of him. Becoming so enthralled in them that he almost missed the command to rise. The high priest was much less of a man when standing close to him, Markos thought. Due to the height difference, the high priest had to raise his arm in order to place his hand upon Markos’ forehead.
Strange words began to leave the priests lips, words Markos had only recognized because some of the more intelligent Arabians spoke it from time to time. Within a moment the priest was finished, and began walking away from Markos. Doors on the opposite side of the room opened, and soon the high priest was no more.

“Well, what now?” Markos asked himself.

“Now, you meet his most royal highness, Lord Daroust,” responded a small Arabian man walking into the room from the same doors that Markos entered.

The two walked out of the room and down another hall to where Markos believed led to the throne room. After turning the corner, and passing another guard, the small Arabian man handed Markos a letter.

“What’s this?” Markos asked.

“Your instructions me Lord,” the servant responded, “You must read before you see his Lordship sir.”

It was at this point that Markos saw the little man scurry off down a dimly lit corridor. He looked at the letter and turned it over in his hand.

“Strange, no writing on the outside,” Markos commented.

“I sure hope this was for me,” He responded to himself.

As another turn came in the hall, Markos opened the letter and began reading silently.

Congratulations are in order.
Remember your birth.
The time is not yet upon us.
Further news when you’re further inside.

“Strange,” thought Markos as he finished the letter.

“Was dat?” Asked an officer quickly approaching Markos

Markos quickly looked up and then looked at the letter.

“Nothin’,” Markos responded, looking a little disturbed, “Introduced myself a little thing last night at the pub. Guess she’s a little more into my new position than I thought.”

“He-he,” laughed the officer, “Yeh can never be too careful of your pockets with them.”

Markos quickly shoved the letter into his uniform pockets, and followed the officer down the hall into the main chamber. Three taps were made on the door before the two entered the room. Rustling could be heard from behind the door, with armor being banged around. As the doors opened, a young woman walked through the opening. Her hair was disorganized, and a small grin ran across her face, as it became beat red upon stumbling upon the two army officers.

“Ahh, excellent!” The warlord exclaimed, “You’ve arrived early.”

“I can see we’re all excited to be here, but as I’m in a rush let’s get this over with!” The warlord said.

Markos walked forward towards his new master. As he approached he could feel his palms getting wet. Sweat began to drip from his forehead as he reached for his knife in his pocket. The warlord approached and while doing so, pulled out his sword. In fact it was the same sword used to kill the former Lord of the city, and Markos could make out blood still stained upon its blade. Markos relinquished his hand from his knife, and knelt before the new barbarian king.

As the blade touched Markos on his head the king said, “I hereby name you Lieutenant Markos, Commander of the 4th, and defender of Mecca.”

The titles were worth nothing other than it being a title appointed by a King, who would probably die at the hands of his officers before Markos could became an old man. The ceremony was nothing like what Markos envisioned in his head while walking through the palace. In fact it was over in a moment, and the King was already making his way down the same hall as the young lady ran down a little while earlier.

After the King walked out of the room, the other officer motioned towards Markos.

As Markos approached the officer he leaned into Markos and whispered in his ear, “Be careful of your letter.”

“See you on the wall Lieutenant,” the officer exclaimed as he walked away from Markos.

Markos now stood alone in the great throne room. He glanced over to the throne and thought, “Kind of plain isn’t it? Still wouldn’t mind sitting there for awhile.”

Markos grabbed the letter out of his pocket, memorized what it had said, and then tossed it into a flame sitting by a window. After making sure it had completely been destroyed, he walked out of the room, and after that, the palace.

Although the ceremony had been short, the position of the sun had changed considerably. Markos thought about his new position, his new responsibility, and his oath now to Daroust, Lord of Mecca.

Chapter 3: The Arabian Struggle

“’Urry up, ya mut!” Shouted the slave master.

“Ashraf, please don’t antagonize them. They will whip you till you’re dead now. They don’t care!” Pleaded Hummty as the 2nd slave corps was moved along at a pace most of the elder slaves could not keep up with.

“If I don’t, the elders would fall, then they would be the ones to inherit a death they never deserved.” Ashraf replied, “They are as kin to you as I am to you. Worry not about me, but the lives of them.”

Ashraf was a bit of a nuisance usually accepted and toyed with by the guards of the slaves, however with the new penalties for unfair treatment to slaves, which was a new law enacted under Warlord Daroust, slave guards could be punished heavily. It states that any unfair treatment to slaves would be met with serious consequences. By unfair treatment though, the warlord left open the interpretation that unfair was in fact good treatment. This meant that any provable treatment in favor of slaves by another officer would result in whipping and possibly death. Therefore any slight outcry by a slave was met with extreme ramifications.

As the slaves approached the end of their march it was growing dark, and they were finally allowed to enter their ghetto tent villages. As all the slaves began preparing for the few hours of enjoyment they had a day, which usually involved massaging their muscles, preparing fires, and starting food preparation, groups began to form. In the back though two slaves moved into a dimply lit tent where another person sat.

“Tell us of your latest adventures, please.” Asked one of the individuals in the tent.

The noticeably different character sat forward in his position on the floor.

“I cannot stay too long my friends. Events are drawing near. I have come only with instructions tonight, and I must speak to Ashraf alone. I am sorry,” said the hooded figure.

The other person in the tent looked over at Ashraf and gave a grimace, but quickly got up and moved over to the door of the tent. Before exiting though he turned back to the hooded figure and said, “You must promise me you will tell me of your adventures, and the history of Huberia again when you come next.”

“I will one day soon speak to you at your house in the city, and invite you to Huberia in person,” replied the figure.

A smile ran across the face of the younger Arab, and he soon exited the tent, running off to join the singing at the fire pit.

“Do you really mean it? It is coming soon?” Questioned Ashraf.

“Yes, my Lord informs me that we have positioned ourselves at the critical moment. We can now begin the final phase of the test.” Responded the hooded figure.

It had been eight years now that Ashraf had been meeting with a foreign people who called themselves Huberians. They said they were from the north, past the great jungles of the equatorial plain. With their coming many changes had occurred. It was as if the Arabian people were in a great darkness filled cave, and someone had removed the rock in front so that light could be seen, and a direction out of the cave could be mapped. Ashraf seemed to gather more strength after each encounter with these people. He could feel that a great event would change his life, would occur within his lifetime, and that he would be that integral part in that plan.

The two sat around and discussed the plans that the stranger had received. Most discussed of placing certain people at certain positions. Causing setbacks in production, and the like. However, there was one specific plan for Ashraf.

“You are to meet with him again, but by no means are you to discuss any of our dealings together. You are to answer questions as if you knew nothing outside of Mecca. However, you must be sure to work with him, and follow any command he gives. Even if you’re wife’s life must come to an end by your hands, you must obey!” Instructed the stranger.

“I understand my friend. I will do as you ask, but please before you leave tell me of your lands.” Inquired Ashraf.

As the night went on the two sat in the tent and the hooded figure talked of warring nations, spy missions like their own, and above all the desire to return to Huber; the magnificent City of Gold, where all lived as free and as powerful as kings in the world.

Please write more of this! It's a great story so far!

Top Bottom