Alpha Centauri for Civ II

Here is a question,

Is there anyone who knows if Alpha Centauri has been made into a modpack for Civ II or if any of the graphics have been used in a Civ II scenario...I found a 14.7K scenario of an idea of Alpha Centauri but not an actual mod or anything like that.

If not, would anyone find that to be something that they would like to see on Civ II (um...I suppose providing that you play, have played or even have a copy of the game that stands the test of time).

Post all the ideas you think I should consider or just say hi.

John

I think it would lose too much of the important flavors in been translated to the civ2 systems. The factions charactersics could only be partially simulated but technologies or units specific to a civ. The social egineering only partialy simulated by the governments. The unit design will not cross over, but it is a limited addition to the smac flavor. The smac combat systems are a little more involved that the civ2.

On the readily translatable side:
The terraforming systems are resonably equal in interest and fun value. The city improvments are just different name for the same functions.

Hmmm...Lefty,

Those are some excellent points. I might also point out that transferring graphics takes a bit of work as most of the graphics are .pcx files or other formats that do not transfer very well. A great deal of "cleaning up" is required.

It's probably possible to do as a scenario, but it will be quite different even beyond the things you've mentioned, especially since a single events file will not hold all the events to recreate the game even if a small amount of text is included for each of the factions. There is also no way to line up all the negotiating possibilities exactly the same either.

Wait a minute, it almost sounds as if I'm talking myself out of this?

hahahaha...Maybe I'm worried about getting nerve stapled.

JV: I was thinking about a similar project myself. We already have John Malvin's <a href="http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Realm/8827/scenarios/civii6.htm">Alpha Centauri</a> scenario, which provides some of the graphics; but this is just a normal Civ2 scenario and not an Alpha Centauri clone.

A mod-pack should be feasible. Start a new thread in Scenario Creation to post ideas. You could probably interest enough people to make a group project. Certainly I'd be willing to help, or even take it on.

Wpuldn't it be better to adapt Civ 2 to the Alpha Centauri engine?

Yes, I could see adapting Civ II to the Alpha Centauri Engine. It would be just as large of a project as adpapting Civ II probably.

Any takers on that one?

Also, the point of adapting SMAC to Civ II would be to aquaint players with SMAC- which would probably be good for business.

Start a new thread in Scenario Creation to post ideas.

Good idea, Andrew!

John

Civ2: Test of Time has an Extended game option which allows you to control the settlers who land on Alpha Centauri. It's not really the same, but it's sort of related. :)

If the transfer of SMAC to Civ II goes ok...a transfer to test of time may be possible in the near future.

John

A civ2 mod for SMAC would be interesting. I imagine you could do some interesting things with the planetary council as the UN (as they should have done it in civ3).

Top Bottom