Culture specific Units

zulu9812

The Newbie Nightmare
For my mod, I'm want to have culture-specific units, rather than flavour units. I've started with replacements to the Knight:

European civs get Kinboat's Crusader
Mediterranean civs get the Firaxis Knight
Asian civs civs get PTW's Shoni no Kagesuke (Horse Archer)
Mid East civs get Lab Monkey's Arab Horseman (Saracen)

Then I got stuck. What to use for the American culture groups' knight? Additonally, I was going to use the Arab Horseman as the Mali UU - the Jund. Anybody have any suggestions?

You could call it American Horse Archer? I would go for Mounted Archer though.

I could call the American unit Horse Archer, but what shall I call the Shoni no Kagesuke? A Japanese name is no good, since the unit will only be used by Korea and Vietnam.

Interestingly, someone just suggested to me that I keep the Shoni no Kagesuke as Horse Archer, make the American civ Europan or Mediterranean and use Kryten's Horse Archer unit as the American Knight, but give it a south american (e.g. aztec/incan) name.

Forgive this humble newbie for making a suggestion; especially is you've already thought of this.

Anyway, what about the American Knight unit being based in the early American Colonial Wars such as King William's War, Queen Anne's War, King George's War, The French and Indian War, and The Seven Year War? OK, it might be considered too late a historical period and a more appropriate for a cavalry replacement, but I'm not sure the extent that mounted soldier in those wars used gunpowder based weapons. If mounted soldiers of the time still almost solely relied on sabers, other melee weapons, or bows it could be argued that it could make a somewhat suitable replacement for a knight. It might also be a problem on the side of the Colonial Americans to find some thing that culturally distinguishes it self from British Forces (yes, I know the Colonials would still be technically considered British), but less of a problem on the Native Americans sides (including the Iroquois, I think) of things. You might have to draw inspiration for the unit on something like the James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking series or other fictional writings concerning the period and not just pure Historical fact.
Sorry, that the best I can think of. Does the Knight replacement absolutely have to be mounted(I'm thinking of the games interpretation of Samurai, thought they could of just as easily , if not more appropriately, been mounted to)?

Top Bottom