Never-Before-Seen Civilizations

Which of the following Civs belongs in the game? (Please Select All That Apply)

• Total voters
I think morroco/berbers would be interesting, not an expert on their culture though.

Assyrians, OK I can see that. But Indonesia? How are they so different from Polynesia? No offense to any indonesians here. How are the Vietnamese so different from Siamese? Is there REALLY that much of civilizational difference between Vietnam and Cambodia - Burma?
Yes, there is a huge difference. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for Indonesia to be placed in the game (I think a predecessor state such as Srivijaya would be more logical, especially since it was an organized kingdom with massive influence over it's region), but Indonesia and Polynesia are absolutely nothing alike. Their cultures and histories are wildly divergent. Likewise with Cambodia, Vietnam, and especially Burma, the latter of which was influenced by South Asia to a much greater extent than the other two were.

I'm not saying every group should be included- I'm on record as being opposed to Polynesia's inclusion because it wasn't an organized civilization and there's a world of difference between populations like the Maori, Rapui, and Hawaiians. But pretending that Siam and Vietnam are the same or that Indonesia isn't at all different from Polynesia hurts your case.

Hey, I'm all about multicultural outreach. BUt lets get real here. I say lets qualify civs that have had some minutely measurable impact on human history.
Agreed, mostly.

Hacking your neighbors women and children to death with machetes over petty tribal squabbles for all of human history doesnt count.
Seriously? Making ignorant statements like this really damages your argument.

Seriously? Making ignorant statements like this really damages your argument.

That Congo is a civilization? Well, having the great misfortune of actually travelling there during volunteer work let me tell you that if there was such thing as hell on earth, Congo would have that trophy locked down. It is in no way, shape or form a nation, let alone a civilization. You'd have an easier time getting Israel and Saudi Arabia to unify than you would getting four tribes in Congo to get along. Google the Mai Mai and see how ignorant my statements are. In fact don't. Save your hair. I have a true heartfelt sympathy for the people of Congo, but that country is not a country. And it sure as hell is not a civilization. There is no unity there nor any want of it. The only reason it is kept together is to allow the crooks in the Capital more tax revenue from as many people as possible.

So maybe Congo was a "civilization" way back. But I stand by my comments. 3.9 million deaths and counting, voodoo magic / occult human sacrifices, child soldiers, multigenerational oaths of emnity. Bleh. It makes me sick.

So you're the ignorant one bud. You've watched too many UN propaganda commercials of multi-ethnic photogenic children singing songs around the campfire in your view of world history. Congo is NOT a country, let alone a civilization.

i wanna see "Catalonia" ( or "the aragon crown")

Leader: Jaume I
UU: Almogavers
UB: mmm dunno, "catalonian court" (was the first parlament in history, far before england)

You don't like Huns, huh?

There are others:

Ireland
Ukraine
Australia
Sweden
Umayyad Caliphate
Tibetan Empire
Seleucids
Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth

ireland is celtic civilization which has been in the game before (although i would like to see a comeback of them)
ukraine is the same as russia
australia cannot be included for the same reason as canada
i could see sweden included as a scandinavian civ
umayyad is represented by the arabs
tibet is in the poll
seleucids are too similar to greeks
poland could be included but not a "polish-lithuanian commonwealth" because that is a nation not a civilization (i'm arguing against the name here)

How is Australia not unique? 13th largest economy of all time. One of the largest countries in the world. It has a unique culture, and they invented the boomerang!....and special unit Crocodile Dundee!

Not to mention they fought tenaciously during WW2.

their culture is largely based on that of england (being under british rule until the 1900's)
btw finland fought tenaciously in WWII also....

Top Bottom