Benefits of Rivers

Atlas627

Deity
So I've played a few games now, and the benefits for rivers seem much worse than before. In G&K, rivers gave:

+1 farm food at Civil Service per tile
+1 gold always per tile
Water Mill, Hydro Plant, Garden
Ability to build farms on hills
Potentially defensive position due to unit movement and attack modifiers
Sacred Waters or Garden happiness from Religion

And in BNW, the only change I see is the removal of the gold. The decision to settle near a river now has no impact unless you ALSO choose to take advantage of building farms, those buildings, or defending.

I read many people saying rivers give trade range or a boost to gold earned from routes, but as far as I can tell it does neither. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: Confirmed, +25% on land routes only.

I read many people saying rivers give trade range or a boost to gold earned from routes, but as far as I can tell it does neither. Can anyone confirm this?

Rivers provide a +25% gold revenue from land trade routes, and only land trade routes.

River starts are still very powerful, actually potentially MORE powerful thanks to the trade route bonus. If you play any CIV that relies on land trade routes that 25% bonus will surpass the base +1 gold per title during the mid and late game. Only thing that was nerfed was the very early game gold income.

I play food heavy, I farm anything that's not on a hill or tundra! So yeah, I still like rivers. The 25% land trade bonus typically makes up for the lack of gold.

Does this 25% bonus only apply to land routes? Because I have checked my sea routes and it isn't listed in the tooltip explaining how much gold I get (though I haven't tried adding it up myself)

Does this 25% bonus only apply to land routes? Because I have checked my sea routes and it isn't listed in the tooltip explaining how much gold I get (though I haven't tried adding it up myself)
Yes, the river trade route bonus only applies to land routes.

So, city that is not bordering river, but is near river, will now not gain anything?

You still get all of the other river-based benefits such as earlier +1 Food on farms. You're just missing out on the gold. If you want the extra gold, then choose a different hex for your city.

It's for land caravans.

You still get all of the other river-based benefits such as earlier +1 Food on farms. You're just missing out on the gold. If you want the extra gold, then choose a different hex for your city.

"Near" a river is not good enough. If your city center is not immediately adjacent to a river, you can't build a garden, water mill or hydro plant and won't get the 25% buff to trade routes.

Civil service farms, garden, and hydro plant are BIG reasons to settle on a river, IMO.

And water mill. Early building that provides 1 hammer and allows another citizen to work a mined hill without sacrificing growth is more valuable early on than many may recognize.

Ok, I just made a land route on a river and I did indeed get +25% according to the tooltip. Does anyone know if it extends your range at all? And what about roads?

Ok, I just made a land route on a river and I did indeed get +25% according to the tooltip. Does anyone know if it extends your range at all? And what about roads?
Roads extend range, but not yield; rivers boost yield, but not range.

Personally, especially given the new emphasis on late-game, I'd say Hydro Plants are more than enough reason to build on long rivers. Plus, Gardens have been made more useful with more great people, and obviously there's the 25% gold.

Top Bottom