Question on citadels

Alex_Salmond420

Chieftain
I had a team game a while back with my friend who was new at the time, so we put it on king and quickly dominated all the AI. Anyway, my friend had contested borders with the Songhai and we were fighting them, I put down a citadel in my friends borders, thinking it'd give hime the land, and suddenly I had Polish land with no city, between Carthaginian and Songhai borders. My question is does this land serve any purpose? Will its yields go to any of my cities? Or is it just a glitch.

That's fantastic. I've never seen that before. Were you and your friend on the same team in the initial setup? That would be the way I could see this happening - the game treats your lands as one civ, more or less.

That's fantastic. I've never seen that before. Were you and your friend on the same team in the initial setup? That would be the way I could see this happening - the game treats your lands as one civ, more or less.

Yeah we were, I guess it's kind of like how you can't trade gold with your own team, maybe the game regards them as your cities somehow, like puppets maybe. It's weird how it works as I always though it was just an infinite defensive pact/ open borders, but since you can't do things like research agreements it must be like one civ I guess.

I'll start a team game with China to rush a great general and try to make it happen again and post the results

I've tried few games with Teams before and from what I know

Religion is seperate (so you both can have your own unique religion)

You share wonder construction (you can't built a wonder while the others are, not sure which effects are shared, it's possible that Passive bonuses (i.e increaes worker rate) is shared, but the one-off bonuses aren't (2 free workers)

You share the view, and see what the others are building

You share your techs (well, you share the research completely, the more teammembers the more expensive it becomes to research techs).

yields dont go to city (since they aren't in the 3-ring. But if a lux/strategic resource is there, you can work it and receive it.

Sometimes I team with an AI to get a massive tech lead over everyone, but my "partner" usually does something stupid. Not only do you have to race to start wonders before they do, but they invade all their neighbors (even if I have a DOF!) and try to capture CSs. It's kinda funny, because after I get nukes I can wipe them off the planet and they can't do anything about it :nuke:

But more on topic, I've only ever seen a citadel do that when you have the fortress borders mod, and it doesn't create borders for your teammate. Pics or a save would clear this up a bit.

I tested this out, and yes, you can create citadels within your teammates' lands or next to them. The land will be yours, and he can't even declare war. Talking about serious backstabbing...

I tested this out, and yes, you can create citadels within your teammates' lands or next to them. The land will be yours, and he can't even declare war. Talking about serious backstabbing...

Will do this from now on :mischief:

You share wonder construction (you can't built a wonder while the others are, not sure which effects are shared, it's possible that Passive bonuses (i.e increaes worker rate) is shared, but the one-off bonuses aren't (2 free workers)
To my knowledge, the only wonder effect that's shared is the Great Wall. Some are incidentally shared, like Great Library (shared tech), but something like the Temple of Artemis only affects the cities of the builder.

I believe if you abandon the citadel and let your friend plop a unit in the tile, the land will become your friend's.

Different question about citadels (here is as good a place as any): do you get a 100% bonus if you have a cannon or cavalry on it? I.e. Something that normally doesn't get defensive terrain bonuses

I believe if you abandon the citadel and let your friend plop a unit in the tile, the land will become your friend's.

Are you thinking about the IV game mechanic around capturing citadels?

Different question about citadels (here is as good a place as any): do you get a 100% bonus if you have a cannon or cavalry on it? I.e. Something that normally doesn't get defensive terrain bonuses

Nope, sorry.

Are you thinking about the IV game mechanic around capturing citadels?

No, never played Civ4. I do believe this is the case though. You have to keep a unit in a citadel otherwise the defensive bonus and each adjacent tile transfer to the new occupant.

Nope. Moving a unit to the citadel has no effect on land ownership, neither does replacing the citadel with a farm.

You have to keep a unit in a citadel otherwise the defensive bonus and each adjacent tile transfer to the new occupant.

That is not correct. Citadels damage units you are war with, regardless of a unit being present or not on the citadel. Citadels do not transfer ownership any differently than any other tile. Citadel convey their defensive bonus to any unit on them, just like other terrain effects.

Top Bottom