Changing Civ 3 resolution to 1366x768

FallenOne808

Chieftain
How do you change the resolution of Civilization 3 Complete to 1366x768. I have the Steam version of the game. I have tried going into the conquest.ini folder and typed KeepRes=1 but nothing happened. I had the game full screen before but that was because it was buggy.

KeepRes=1 will cause Civ3 to keep the resolution of your desktop, whatever that resolution is. It should be after the [Conquests] part of the INI file, such as:

[Conquests]
KeepRes=1
(other things that are already there)

If you are running Vista or later and have UAC enabled, and Civ3 is installed somewhere under C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), UAC may have prevented your changes; if you re-open the file and it isn't there, it did. In that case, you should be able to work around it by saving the file (while being sure to keep the .ini extension) to somewhere outside of C:\Program Files, and then copying it back in and overwriting the old one, and verifying your changes are present.

If your resolution is greater than 1366x768, but you want it in a 1366x768 window, you'll want to also look up how to do windowed mode. I'm pretty sure it is possible (at least with the CD/Gamersgate versions... less sure about Steam), but I haven't tried that myself so I don't know the process to enable it. Edit: It looks like a patch was released on Thursday to fix the windowed-mode issues I'd read about with the Steam version.

Devs said this long ago:

:Video Mode=1280
Can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792. Changes the game's resolution to the value specified (instead of the default 1024x768)."

Would imply you cannot set to other resolutions. You can use most any desktop as I used 1920.

In this video I add KeepRes=1 (and a couple of other settings) to conquests.ini and launch it widescreen...in fact I think it's exactly 1366x768, not that it matters.

If you tried adding other video size settings to the .ini, take them back out. KeepRes doesn't seem to get along with them if I recall correctly.

This is part of an "install on Win7" series, and I installed to a custom location. Your conquests.ini will be in a different folder somewhere under Steam. I assure you it works on the Steam version, too, as that's what I've been using lately.

Link to video.

well , my lap top is also 1366 x 768 , but ı play it with the default value , with black area around the game window ; would it cause any effects to the monitor ?

Top Bottom