Interesting Screenshots

Oi, pond navies were great for enforcing kill-zones! :mischief:

Once again the KI proved that KI does not stand for "Künstliche Intelligenz" (Artifical Intelligence) but for "Keine Intelligenz" (No Intelligence).

I turned the KI after todays moves into playable factions to see if my mod is running flawless.

And this is the Iroquois Mainland:

The Royal Shipyard produces a Warship (Sailing Ship of the Line, Navigation) every 6 rounds while the Naval Academy is the prerequiste for the Naval Shipyard (Steel), which in turn builds a Superdreadnought every 10 rounds. These are small wonders.

And yes, both Bombay and Salamanca are clogged with Siege Quinqueremes... :rolleyes:

This happened in the Random-World Aztec game I just finished.

Vilcabamba was taken on the second-last turn before I won -- it had two Infs and (it turned out) also 2 Cavs and an Arty garrisoned.

I Arty-bombed it until both Infs were redlined, then (thinking that was all they had left) sent in an eCav -- which was def-bombed by the Arty, and killed by a full-strength vCav :eek: :cry: :mad: So I carried on bombing the town until I hit the Barracks, then sent in more Cavs (and an Army) to mop up. The two Infs were killed first, and then I saw this:

FTR, this screenshot was taken after the battle had been resolved, while the game was waiting for me to make my next move (that 2/5 eCav had 1 MP left). The next 2 attacks killed the defending Cavs, before I was allowed to capture the town, and that Worker (and the Arty).

So, does anyone know why the Worker is hiding the redlined Cav(s) in the garrisoned-unit stack? Surely D=3, even with only 1HP, would be a better prospect than D=0...? :crazyeye:

(The savegame is here, if anyone else wants to try this).

Attachments

• C3C Random Emp Aztecs 1 -- Worker defending Vilcabamba.jpg
    C3C Random Emp Aztecs 1 -- Worker defending Vilcabamba.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 549
the units were sitting on a boat.
t_x

KI = Keine Intelligenz. I think I'll use that one in the future! :D

Hmm, for me, the AI or KI is a bit schizophrenic. Sometimes it is so stupid I have a hard to believing it, and then at other times, it is brilliant. It is consistently inconsistent, except when it comes to future resources, then it homes in on them like bees to a big dish of honey.

I have a couple of screen shots to put up, once I figure out how to get a Print Screen from the Windows laptop to something I can post from my Mac laptop.

the units were sitting on a boat.
t_x
Aha! That would explain it -- I bombed the town from within my borders, without putting a unit next to the city to watch for hits (I just looked for the 'Units injured by bombardment' message, until the Rax went down), so I didn't see any boat(s) taking damage. And I have most of the animations turned off, so I didn't see any boat(s) sinking when I took the city, either.

I knew the Hittites had built some boats, because earlier on in the game I'd been using Arty to redline their incoming Frigate+Galleon-stacks off my east coast. But once I was on their doorstep, it would have made no sense to keep paying for a navy, since (1) the map was a Pangaea, so they could attack me and the Incas directly across our common borders (at least until Pacha broke our MA and signed peace -- hence the pink units retreating past my farm), (2) they were running a Republic(?), so had a more limited free-unit maintenance, and (3) by the time I'd got as far as Vilcabamba, they were pretty much finished.

Guess the 'KI' struck again... :crazyeye:

I have a couple of screen shots to put up, once I figure out how to get a Print Screen from the Windows laptop to something I can post from my Mac laptop.
If both laptops have USB ports, then transferral via a USB flash-drive is probably the simplest method. I've done this with photos, both ways: WinXP <--> MacOS, no problems (.jpeg format -- .png should be readable on both platforms too).

Playing the Middle Ages Conquest, see something interesting.

I can't tell in the editor if one of those is pre-planted beforehand...there's only one Krakow in Poland's city list, and it doesn't have a space before it to through the game off. Has this popped up before?

Attachments

• twokrakows.jpg
    twokrakows.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 269
Looked at the editor myself- the southern of the two is there from the start, the northern one isn't. Probably a bug, even if one is there from the start more shouldn't show up.

Szczecin, Poznan, and Gdansk are the other three cities they start with and they're also on Poland's city list, but they don't have any duplicates there.

And on the pedestal these words appear: I am the Map Generator, King of Kings. Look upon my terrible start locations, ye mighty, and despair.

My capital was stuck at size three until I built a Harbor in it. There's so many mountains in the area that even though I've spaced my core cities as close together as possible, it's not causing any cramping- they can't get big enough. They're all stuck at size 7-8, and that's with them working as many coastal tiles as they can.

My neighbors, the French, started with the only Iron on our island right outside their capital and one of the two sources of Horses also right outside, and they managed to get to the other Horses in the middle before I could. They're doing a lot better than I am.

The only reason I have any chance in this game at all is that Berzerks don't require Iron and Archers upgrade to them. Massive Berzerk rush is my only hope.

And it helps that the AI have mostly ignored me- Portugal fought Persia a few times (I joined in, attempting to get Persia's Iron, but sadly Portugal beat me to it- I did manage to get their capital and a Berzerk victory got me the GA I'm currently in), and every other AI is fighting the Koreans. I'm very lucky France hasn't yet grown bored of my existence, they could kill me easily.

So what you're saying is, you started out on a rocky peninsula, survived largely through fishing, and will have to raid your neighbours for basic goods.

The only way you could be more Viking is if you wrote that post in runes. :cool:

Well, I can't argue with that. :lol:

Playing the Middle Ages Conquest, see something interesting.

I can't tell in the editor if one of those is pre-planted beforehand...there's only one Krakow in Poland's city list, and it doesn't have a space before it to through the game off. Has this popped up before?

What makes it even stranger: when I try to name a city with a name that already exists elsewhere on the map, the game won't let me! A city name needs to be unique?!?

Top Bottom