So they call Pedro "Peter" in the german version.

The Spanish version of Civ V has both Isabel (Isabella) and Isabel I (Elizabeth I).

It would be interesting to see Montezuma's portrait in the middle of text (as pre-Columbian Nahuatl is purely pictures).

Semi-ontopic

The Finnish name for the Georges of England is Yrjö (atleast it was, don't know if they changed that).

That means "a vomit". :lol:

I had no problem reading that. I would love if the game were like this, though I would have to review the Arabic and Hindi scripts, and the Japanese kanji readings, and figure out some of those exotic ones like Amharic and Thai...but I could deal with it as long as they didn't throw any cuneiform or hieroglyphics in there!

Well, it certainly adds some difficulty. You mentioned Kanji and that helps explain why. I can't read Japanese, but I assumed Oda declared war. I had ask my brother (who can read Kanji) who confirmed it was Wu Zetian. I'm not sure if Morocco is Arabic or not, but that would be tricky. As would figuring out whether we're talking about Ashurbanipal or Nebuchadnezzar by reading Akkadian.

Well, it certainly adds some difficulty. You mentioned Kanji and that helps explain why. I can't read Japanese, but I assumed Oda declared war. I had ask my brother (who can read Kanji) who confirmed it was Wu Zetian.
Yes, or more specifically, Wǔ Zétiān.
I'm not sure if Morocco is Arabic or not, but that would be tricky. As would figuring out whether we're talking about Ashurbanipal or Nebuchadnezzar by reading Akkadian.
Moroccans do speak Arabic, yes. And the Persians use the Arabic script for their (completely unrelated) language.

There was an article in BBC which link escape me at the moment. Basically in English language:

- Ruler/city/country names which were already familiar before modern period is referred by its absorbed name.
- Ruler/city/country names which were NOT familiar before modern period and only known to English language after, is referred using its mostly native name.

Hence we have Lisbon instead of Lisboa Vienna instead of Wien, but we have Ljublana instead of Laibach or something like that.

I presume similar naming rules existed in other language.

Pedro, Pierre, Pietro, Piers, Petteri, Pyotr, Peers, etc. are all forms of Peter.

Pedro is called "Pierre" in the french version

Renaming things for historical accuracy is a slippery slope. Would we really want Byzantium renamed "Rome" or "Eastern Rome" or some such?

武則天 has declared war on Θεοδώρα!
:lol: Can the game even handle non-Latin alphabets?... I thought that even with characters like "ã" it was unable to use them or display them (then again, doesn't the game support Korean? It's confusing! :lol: When the game released, it wold crash if your Window's username had any special character! :p)

Be glad that Brazil's 2nd city is Sao Paulo, not Sao Paolo... :lol:
I actually didn't know there was an English name for São Paulo, so that's good to know, along side Portugal's second city being Porto and not Oporto (which was in Civilization IV and it made me cringe a little :p). Somewhere in the city list there's a Braganza instead of Bragança, but then again it also spells Sao Paulo and not São Paulo, so it must again have problems with such characters...

Renaming things for historical accuracy is a slippery slope. Would we really want Byzantium renamed "Rome" or "Eastern Rome" or some such?

There is actually a mod for Crusader Kings II that calls the Byzantine Empire "Basileia Rhomaion" :D (which litterally just means "Empire of the Romans", but it's in Greek so it is completely different! :lol:)

Is it possible for people in non-English countries to play the English version of the game?

There is actually a mod for Crusader Kings II that calls the Byzantine Empire "Basileia Rhomaion" :D (which litterally just means "Empire of the Romans", but it's in Greek so it is completely different! :lol:)

That game looks appealing to a guy like me. Might check it out in about a year once my BNW obsession wears off a little. When I went to Turkey they referred to the Orthodox Church as the Church of Rome.

أحمد المنصور السعدي has declared war on هارون الرشيد!
Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ Μέγας has declared war on داریوش اول!
Imperator Caesar Divi F. Augustus has declared war on Buddug!
Чингис хаан has declared war on 武則天!
織田 信長 has declared war on 세종 장헌 영문 예무 인성 명효 대왕!

If CiV was like this, I would only know Augustus's Latin name, Boudica's Welsh name, Alexander's Greek name, and Genghis Khan's Mongolian name. And of course, since Korean has those circles, I would know that that's Sejong too.

Yes, or more specifically, Wǔ Zétiān.

Moroccans do speak Arabic, yes. And the Persians use the Arabic script for their (completely unrelated) language.

Modern Persians do, but not Achaemenid Persians.

If anything it's strange that official English name of "Pedro II" is "Pedro" and not "Peter".

It's not like in Civ4 you had "Pyotr" for the Russian leader. You had "Peter".

Traditionally royalty names have always been adapted to the local language in Europe. It's only in the modern times with the globalization and all that people have become accustomed enough to other languages to be able to understand foreign names.

I think the reason is how long ago the leader became known to English history students. That's why Pedro is Pedro because he isn't as well-known as Peter the Great of Russia.

أحمد المنصور السعدي has declared war on هارون الرشيد!
Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ Μέγας has declared war on داریوش اول!
Imperator Caesar Divi F. Augustus has declared war on Buddug!
Чингис хаан has declared war on 武則天!
織田 信長 has declared war on 세종 장헌 영문 예무 인성 명효 대왕!

If CiV was like this, I would only know Augustus's Latin name, Boudica's Welsh name, Alexander's Greek name, and Genghis Khan's Mongolian name. And of course, since Korean has those circles, I would know that that's Sejong too.

Wait! Just when does Mongolian language use Cyrillic character? and did you know that Japanese naming culture place the family name first?

พ่อขุนรามคำแหง has declared war on you!

BTW, If CIV is like this I would rather learn how to transliterated Arabic, Cyrillic (done), Greek, any non-latin script that available for learning in internet, as I think this isn't the last time I will see it.

Top Bottom