Short (and Long) End of the Stick

Lord Dante

Chieftain
So I just got the BNW Expansion Pack for Civ V and after looking through the civilopedia to get a feel for some of the new civs and mechanics I noticed something. I noticed that a few civs got some nice boons in the new expansion, while others got pretty nerfed. So I wanted to ask what you all thought. Which civs got boons, and which have fallen to busts? And this isn't just BNW, you can also mention from G&K. And boons/busts can range from the changes to an actual civ to how the mechanics help or hurt them.

For me, the civ that has seen the steadiest of drops is France. In the original version they were quiet champions. Their UA was good for turtling through the early eras, and both a 4 city-tradition start or a quiet liberty-expansion start were viable. Once the Renaissance hit France took its stride. The original Musketeer was crazy strong, and after only a slight quiet period as rifle-men they got even stronger, becoming the Foreign Legion. And because the Foreign Legion never went obsolete, one could simply spam them and then upgrade them to the Mechanized Infantry and use their unique promotion to ravage foes' lands.

G&K started the fall of France. Turtling worked in a similar manner, but the Musketeers lost some of their boost, going from a 25% power jump over the Musketman to only a 20%, leaving attacking Jannisaries stronger than them (which before they were equal). To add to this, the time period between Musketeers and Riflemen was condensed a bit, meaning the era of dominance was shortened. What really hurt, however, was when the Foreign Legion was demoted to take the place of the Great War Infantry, meaning they WOULD go obsolete at some point, and could no longer be infinitely spammed for endgame domination. Of course there was a wonder to help with the issue, but wonders can be hit or miss.

Now with BNW, the French UA has been changed, meaning they do not gain culture rapidly, and because the bonus is very capital based, Tradition seems forced upon you, as does a cultural victory, instead of trying to go for a domination victory (which is what Napoleon would have wanted). The G&K issue of Musketeers limited time-frame still exists, and to make it truly awful, the French have lost the Foreign Legion in place of a UI, which to me seems situational. To me this "evolution" has really been a fall from grace for the French, and has turned to the once surprisingly powerful civ into something only average.

Now that's just my, non-expert-first-glance opinion. I'm sure someone can prove me wrong lol. But there's got to be other civs that have evolved or de-evolved in a similar manner.

Top Bottom