[Map script]Creation.py for FFH2

How do I make this edit and what would the side effects of the edit be?

It's definitely the map, we're not OOSing on other types...

Set this variable to False. It's toward the beginning in the script.

UsePythonRandom = False

Make sure also that you make the same edit to all players you are playing with. Also, let me know if this clears up the issue. I tried to detect a network game and set this behavior automatically, but it's possible that the FFH dll does not work the same way as vanilla BtS in this aspect.

I'd test it myself but I have no friends for MP. :cry:

The reason why this variable is important is because Civ does not send the whole map over the network, it tries to set the random seed value the same on each client and generate the same map independantly. So any difference between the two map scripts will break it.

The reason I use the Python rands in the first place, is that it makes slightly more organic looking maps. With the mapRand rands, you'll generally see more anomalous features and straight lines. The difference is very subtle however. You can clearly see a difference in the general feel of the map, but I couldn't say that I could look at a map and tell which RNG it used.

I would like to know if this clears up the issue, because there might be something wrong with my network game detection logic. Make sure you are using the very latest version! 1.04 as of this writing.

I got a map like that, but instead it turned out to be nearly all Desert coast to coast with no mountain ridges at all. I had a wierd sort of egypt economy going on the single river cutting across it from the center to the eastern sea..until we OOSed again and gave up hehe.

If you aren't OOS on turn one, it really can't be the map, unless there are certain combinations of terrain/plot types that FFH can't handle. Once the map script is done it's done, and everyone either has a map or they don't.

Also, before you get too far into a game, try to look for features like in the screenshot to make sure your map isn't completely broken. That's not a fun thing to discover 1 hour into the game! :lol: There's still a couple of bugs I haven't tracked down yet, sorry!

I enjoying it now
I playing 33 players huge map (yeah lol)
no tech trading/brokering, living world.

Alliances:

Lawbringers
(Bannor x 2 + Malakim)

Protectors
(Elohim x 2 + Good elves)

Dwarven
(Khazad x 2 + G.Gym)

Metropolists/Liberalists/New Vision
(Grigori , Kuriotate + Beryy Bawl) lol

Nature's Revolt
(Hannah the Irin + Neutral Elves x 2)

Persuers of Knowledge / Kylorin
(Amurites x 2 + Sidar (me, Immortal))

Neutral Fee-loving Raiders
(Falamar + Hippus x 2)

Mulkarn followers
(Doviello x2 + Illians)

Burn, Raze, Stomp
(Os-Gabella + Clan x 2)

Dark Union
(Tebryn + Alexis + Faeryl)

Decadance
(Balseraphs x 2 + Flauros)

Game is very interesting, map fits this setup very well.

@ Slynn
That's an awesome game ;)

Cephalo, I have to suggestions for your map.

The more important one- I would consider island chains in the ocean for the Lanun to start on. I find large expanses of water boring, and the Lanun, speacalising in naval combat need a boost. Since the majority of the map and wars are land wars, the Lanun kind of cuk. Island strongholds would allow them to raid other civs with impunity, and let them have large cities.

The other one- This is a stupid idea, but have you considered some vallies starting as hell terrain. Then when Hyborem comes, and hells starts to spread, it is much more terrible. Also, life I would be much more useful.

Slynn's lineup sounds nice, but I really think that Tebryn and Os-Gabella should switch places.

The more important one- I would consider island chains in the ocean for the Lanun to start on. I find large expanses of water boring, and the Lanun, speacalising in naval combat need a boost. Since the majority of the map and wars are land wars, the Lanun kind of cuk. Island strongholds would allow them to raid other civs with impunity, and let them have large cities.

Originally I intended to do something like this with the Lanun in mind, but I left it out for now because I do not believe that the default bonus placer would handle it in a nice way, and I would have to rewrite the bonus placement so that the island chain was a nicer place to call home. It should definately be done, but there will be some work involved.

The other one- This is a stupid idea, but have you considered some vallies starting as hell terrain. Then when Hyborem comes, and hells starts to spread, it is much more terrible. Also, life I would be much more useful.
Well... The reason for hell in the world is Hyborems arrival as I understand it, so having it there from the beginning seems wrong to me. I think the reason why hell seems a bit weak is that the infernal mechanics are so different from a normal civ, that the AI really struggles with the late start and no real growth and huuuge research times. Hyborem in the hands of the AI is really more comical than scary. He always seems stuck in the darndest places. Every game the thought goes through my head, "Poor Hyborem." :lol:

Wierd, no Python exceptions at all while loading? Of course, if it bugged out in Python you should have wound up with pure plains, no rivers at all...

It gave about as many error boxes as Windows 95 after 5 minutes :p

That is a map crash. If it happens repeatedly, it's because you have an old map script called 'random.py' in your public maps folder that has the same name as an important Python module. Rename that map script if you have it.

Edit: Why are there fully developed farms and citys on the screenshot? I hope you didn't get too far into the game before noticing! :lol:

So I rename 'random.py' and it should work? (I can't find said 'random.py', where exactly is it?)

I noticed it on turn 1, but you can't be too picky about your maps when 9/10 of your games CtD before beginning...

It turned out to be a great game, I played the Svartalfar with noble 1 city challenge, and razed half of the world with Council, Alazkan (w/ blitz and 4 movement!) and nyxkins. (the empty areas to the right used to be Sheaim and Ljosalfar)

So I rename 'random.py' and it should work? (I can't find said 'random.py', where exactly is it?)

I noticed it on turn 1, but you can't be too picky about your maps when 9/10 of your games CtD before beginning...

If you can't find random.py in your PublicMaps folder, then don't worry about it. You're running windows 95? Ouch. You're not seeing the real game though unless you get a proper map. Make sure you see some peaks before you really start playing.

He just meant "It gave a LOT of error messages"

Are you sure all players need to have the mapscript if you use it in MP? I just tried to an MP game and I am pretty sure some of them most certainly did not have your script, but it just transferred the map data from my computer to theirs before the game started up.

He just meant "It gave a LOT of error messages"

Are you sure all players need to have the mapscript if you use it in MP? I just tried to an MP game and I am pretty sure some of them most certainly did not have your script, but it just transferred the map data from my computer to theirs before the game started up.

No, actually I'm not sure. I do know that if you use Python randoms in the script for MP, you get OOS right away. I suppose there are other reasons why that might be. I think I just assumed from that info that the map was generated concurrently.

2 stories on this awesome map script.

1- I was playing an OCC, and enterd worldbuilder to cheat a little, when I saw two vallies filled with barbaians. One was a desert where Acheron's city was dominating the entire area with culture. The Second was a jungle area with 7 barbaian cities (Not captured from players) I wasn't playing Barbarian World, it was an awesme game.

2- I used the mapscript in Vanilla, and it had awesome results. The game was alot of fun.

How do you tune the SoftenPeakPercent variable - I can't see it in game setup. Is it in an xml or something similar?

Cheers and thanks for an über map-script :)

Sandro

Never mind - found it.

What is the specific effect of it? I like choke-points and your climate seperation argument is sound, but I don't like that some civilizations are completely isolated by peaks. What value would you recommend for a map with a similar look, but slightly less isolated areas - 0.25? (assuming it is a number from 0.0 to 1.0 and not 0.0 to 100.0)

Never mind - found it.

What is the specific effect of it? I like choke-points and your climate seperation argument is sound, but I don't like that some civilizations are completely isolated by peaks. What value would you recommend for a map with a similar look, but slightly less isolated areas - 0.25? (assuming it is a number from 0.0 to 1.0 and not 0.0 to 100.0)

I didn't like it so I didn't play with it much. But the number should be between 1.0 and 0.0. I should have wrote the range in my comments.

1- I was playing an OCC, and enterd worldbuilder to cheat a little, when I saw two vallies filled with barbaians. One was a desert where Acheron's city was dominating the entire area with culture. The Second was a jungle area with 7 barbaian cities (Not captured from players) I wasn't playing Barbarian World, it was an awesme game.

I've had something similar happen once. South of my starting position was a large valley, accessible through a one tile wide passage. Before I had time to settle the valley, Acheron spawned in it. I just built a fort at the entrance, and placed an swordsman there to hold it. Then Hyborem spawned in the valley! The fort had become the entrance to hell! I had to send an expedition of intrepid heroes into hell to fight off the burning legions and save our lands. It was great!

cephalo, any idea why barbarian world works sometimes, but doesn't others? I've played around with a variety of other settings (raging barbarians, wildlands, etc), but i can't seem to consistently get barbarians starting with cities.

cephalo, any idea why barbarian world works sometimes, but doesn't others? I've played around with a variety of other settings (raging barbarians, wildlands, etc), but i can't seem to consistently get barbarians starting with cities.

I don't know. I'm not sure I've played with that option. In the games I've played, barbs do tend to build cities everywhere that's not settled fairly quickly though.

Very, very weird. Every single time I use this script, I get almost completely grassland with some forest.

I am using huge and rocky.

Very, very weird. Every single time I use this script, I get almost completely grassland with some forest.

I am using huge and rocky.

That is what a map crash looks like. Check in your PublicMaps folder for a map script file called random.py. This name conflicts with the random.py that is part of the Python system, so it needs to be renamed. Rename the file, then let me know if that works or not.

This issue comes up from time to time on my maps.

Edit: 'Rocky' is not actually an option for the map script ;)

Top Bottom