Colonization Game Diaries

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Tom Chick is doing a series of articles on Civilization IV: Colonization in his game diaries. So far two parts have been posted. The first part, titled "There will be blood and gold", was posted on Tuesday. The second part, titled "The Incan War", was posted yesterday.

EDIT (9/19): Part three, titled "Now I have a galleon, ho ho ho" is posted.
EDIT2 (9/19): Part four, titled "The God machine", is also up.
EDIT3 (9/22): Part five, titled The State of the Colonies address has been published.

Thanks to Phoenix_56721 for the news tip.

Good article. I learned a few things about the new game:

* Exploration points can be earned from using a scout
* Demands for money for land are not met with immediate war when refused; it's just a marker in your disfavor
* Veteran soldiers start with Vet I promotion and earn experience twice as fast

I bet exploration points are earned from using any unit to explore. I doubt it's restricted to certain unit types.

Have they released the original colonization yet. I thought they said they were going to release that

Part 3 is ready.

I'm surprised that the raids against the Inca yielded so little. In Col Classic, one burned Inca/Aztec city could easily yield more than the 4500 that Mr. Chick got from laying waste to four settlements here (the highest I can recall was 12,000 - with my boy Cortes, of course ;)). Just over a thousand per doesn't seem worth it from a purely economic standpoint.

I guess they have balanced it about right.....

Part 3 is ready.

I'm surprised that the raids against the Inca yielded so little. In Col Classic, one burned Inca/Aztec city could easily yield more than the 4500 that Mr. Chick got from laying waste to four settlements here (the highest I can recall was 12,000 - with my boy Cortes, of course ;)). Just over a thousand per doesn't seem worth it from a purely economic standpoint.
But remember that in the original, Cortés doubled the loot you got from burning native towns/cities to the ground. In this one, it'd seem he 'increases the defenses' in all settlements. Also, consider Tom might not be playing in a huge map, as it seemed the Incas only had four or so cities.

me i'm surprised that terrain graphic are certainly excellent, but units graphics are like civ 4 graphism, by example all natives have the same units and the incan cities are have not a lot of buildings.

Part 4 is up.

I have high hopes that cross production will actually mean something in this version. There seem to be a lot more bonuses for crosses/churches/cathedrals this time around. I hardly ever built churches in Col Classic because the other methods of getting colonists seemed more efficient. We'll see.

Reading exellent articles like this is NOT making the wait for tuesday any easier :p

A nice read, despite the appalling use of Spanish. :p

LOL, yes, and why didn't he call himself "El Chicko"?

I just wish he had posted similar narratives about his experiences playing as the English, the French and the Dutch. I'm also a bit surprised at how imporatnt he seems to think preachers are, though one can tell that he was disappointed at the diminishing returns (more crosses needed for each new immemigrant). I always got most of my settlers through breeding them, converting Indians or buying experts from Europe.

Waiting for the 26th, when the game ships in Europe... (SIGH.)

He didn't mention that you could buy normal colonists from the same pool that crosses attract immigrants.

But so far everything sounds like its the exact same game just with new graphics and the Civ4 units

Top Bottom