HOW TO: Create a Civilization

Shichiaikan said:
Are there any known issues with creating "supercivs" i.e.: a civ with some ridiculous number of starting techs, a bunch of UU's, etc... I've read various opinions and stuff on this, but I've yet to see any really conclusive answers either way.
3 starting techs, 4 leader traits, 2 UU's and 1 UB didn't have any problems.

Is there a way to put a special unit to a leader?

e.g.: if I choose Washington I will have unit X
But if I choose Roosevelt I will have unit Y

And I can't find art0.FPK !! I have installed the newest version of civ (1.59)

PLEASE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND IT !!!!!! :cry:

Damn, i wish i had seen this thread before trying to figure it all out myself, would have saved me a lot of head aches :)
But still some good info in here that i hadn't figured out yet, mostly on the graphical part, like the alpha channels.

I just wanna say thanks to Jecrell for this tutorial, I've gor my first Armenian civ running, which I hope to put here some time, one little problem though, when you're talking about making the Aplhas black or the button alpha, you don't mention that you have to save it and then click the load from edit button in DXTBmp. Other than that, class, thanks

Alright I have done exactly what you said and I still get these errors.

XML File xml/text/gametext/info_yourciv.xml.

Tag: UNIT_YANKEE_BRONX_BOMBER in info class was invalid.

Tag: LEADER_GEORGE_STEINBRENNER in info class was invalid.

Thanks in advance.. Here is the "mod".

http://files.filefront.com/FILE_VOTE.../fileinfo.html

Thank you in advance!

How can i add Impervius, my leader, as an additional leaderhead for the romans? I am fine to use the roman UU as i dont want to simply have no uu at all.

What exactly do you mean by Buttons

impervius said:
How can i add Impervius, my leader, as an additional leaderhead for the romans? I am fine to use the roman UU as i dont want to simply have no uu at all.

<<<EDIT: Okay this may be unclear below as i had some trouble formatting my post, but follow the indentation conventions of the file you are editing wherever possible. This makes it easier to edit and to troubleshoot later. Thanks>>>

Firstly, if you havnt created a Mod personal to you i would suggest doing this now. Basically, just open the 'Mods' folder in the Civ4 directory folder, and Create a New Folder called whatever you want (referred to by me from now on as <YourMod>). Now, inside that create a "Assets" folder.
Now, from the main "Assets" folder (Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meiers Civilization 4/Assets in my case) copy and paste the "XML" folder and the "Art" folder into '<YourMod>/Assets/'.

Im only going to deal with the actual XML modifications. If you have Artwork for the leader (i.e. a button and a leaderhead, whether animated or still) i would suggest carefully reading earlier in this post so you know how to add them.

In <YourMod>/Assets/XML/Civilizations/

find the Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml file, and the Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml file

Open Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml and find <Type>CIVILIZATION_ROME</Type>. Near the bottom of this entry, you will find a line that says:

<Leaders>
<Leader>
<LeaderName>LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR</LeaderName>
<bLeaderAvailability>1</bLeaderAvailability>
</Leader>
</Leaders>

Add this to the file, so it reads:

<Leaders>
<Leader>
<LeaderName>LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR</LeaderName>
</Leader>
<Leader>
<LeaderName>LEADER_IMPERVIUS</LeaderName>
</Leader>
</Leaders>

Save the file (making sure it is the one in your Mod's Assets folder, rather than the main Assets folder.

Then open Civ4LeaderHeadInfos.xml file

Find the <Type>JULIUS_CAESAR</Type>, copy all the information from the <LeaderHeadInfo> just above it to the </LeaderHeadInfo> at the bottom of it's entry (just after all the diplomacy music), and paste at the bottom of the file (after the last </LeaderHeadInfo> but before the last </LeaderHeadInfos>.

Change the <Type> tag to read <Type>LEADER_IMPERVIUS</Type>, and change the following two lines so they read:

<Description>TXT_KEY_LEADER_IMPERVIUS</Description>
<Civiliopedia>TXT_KEY_LEADER_IMPERVIUS_PEDIA</Civilopedia>

The next line is more complicated. If you have Art and you have added it to the appropriate folder (see some of the first posts), you will write something like the following:

<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_LEADER_IMPERVIUS</ArtDefineTag>

If not, I would suggest leaving it as 'ART_DEF_LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR'. You can always edit this later.

Next is the rather more complicated matter of adjusting the AI for the leaders preferences, but i havnt got time to write them all here. Best just to experiment, and if youre really no idea what a tag does, then ask on the main Civ4 C&C forums.

Save this, again making sure it is in your mod folder rather than the main Civ4 folder.

You can now use this unit in the game, presuming you have used the default graphics for Julius Caesar. If not, you may want to re-read the part earlier in this thread about Art Defines. You may also want to edit the Text files, because the leader currently is called "TXT_KEY_LEADER_IMPERVIUS" in the game, and you may want to create a text file that tells the computer to replace wherever it sees this with the actual text "Impervius". Again, this is very well structured earlier in the thread, and i am running out of time.

If you do have any questions, feel free to PM me, and i will do my best to answer youre questions. But for now my patience has goneand im bored, and hungry.

Hopefully this helped in some small way at least :)

mrkingkong

The Conquerer22 said:
What exactly do you mean by Buttons

A button is the smaller square picture. An example is a leaderhead button, which is the one displayed on the right hand side of the Civ selector screen. There are other examples dotted in various places around civ! ;)

mrkingkong

when you have downloaded the yourciv xml and you place iin the right map, and then open it, are you supposed to edit it right there? or do u open it in notepad?

jawz92 said:
when you have downloaded the yourciv xml and you place iin the right map, and then open it, are you supposed to edit it right there? or do u open it in notepad?

You can edit it with any text editor you want which supports ascii files (which any of them shold be able to, NotePad,WordPad, Microsoft Word, whatever). I find it easier, however, to right click and then "open with...<the text editing program>" (WordPad in my case), and then just save it (make sure it is in the YourMod/Assets/XML/Text/ folder). However pretty much any text editor can be used, as long as it is saved as an xml file.

jawz92 said:
What do u do with the buttons?

They aren't actual buttons that carry out commands, a "button" is a small square picture that represents a unit/leaderhead/whatever in a space where there isnt enough space to display the whole picture, or where an animated model wouldnt be right (the Foreign Advisor screen shows examples of military buttons, and the civilopedia displays "buttons" of various things if my memory serves correct). They are just smaller pictures representing a unit/LH/tech graphically.

hope that helps

mrkingkong

mrkingkong said:
A button is the smaller square picture. An example is a leaderhead button, which is the one displayed on the right hand side of the Civ selector screen. There are other examples dotted in various places around civ! ;)

mrkingkong

Thanks, The Conquerer 22

I have followed Sections 1 and 2, but it is not complete. I still need to know how to make my UU. Can someone help me with that?

olemunky said:
I have followed Sections 1 and 2, but it is not complete. I still need to know how to make my UU. Can someone help me with that?

The XML text (actually implementing it in the game) or the actual graphics of the UU?

The XML i can help you with, but unfortunately im no graphics artist... ;)

mrkingkong

Jettatore said:
Nevermind. I got it working... Turns out this tutorial is not yet complete. If you can't get your new Civ working use this tutorial to fill in the blanks, there are a few more steps that you need to take care of before you can play as your new Civ...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=148507

Guys, Guys, Guys!

As pointed out before by Jettatore...

go to this link to get the complete (well almost) way to create a Civ

I used it and created 3 unique civilizations (with 6 unique units)

and I had no problems with it

they all work and I still use them

Charcoal explains it in detail on what files/art pics/folders you have to create or modify

I really recommend it! :goodjob:

NOTE: I dont know it all (or any Python for that matter :sad: ), but Im pretty handy when it comes to XML and dds art skin files :mischief: (sorry no model applications) but if you have a question PM or post it and I will try to help ya ;)

I am having truble understanding the leaderhead and flag thing.It says that I can't expand my leaderhead image more than 500by500 why is that???

Top Bottom