Requested Mods

Pirates still exist in modern times! They just have automatic weapons and RPG's now.

And they get annihilated by any competent, modern navy a lot easier... ;)

True! The modern privateer shouldn't be particularly strong. They're a tool for harassment, not warfare.

Meh. Tags like that are incredibly simple to implement; They have no code behind them (or at least shouldn't, given that religion is not in the game whatsoever), so it's what, 5 minutes of C++ to recreate? I'd far rather have tags of that nature removed, along with whatever memory upkeep they require. Sure, it may be minor... But if there are enough such tags, it may well have an effect on performance.

I guess my point is: Tags like what you mention take next to no effort to add, and have a memory cost. If they are not used in the base game, I see no reason for it to pay that memory cost.

I also think porting religions to Civ5 in the same form is fallacy. I have my own plans for religions, but it uses existing game mechanics and does NOT recreate the old version, along with the issues associated with it.

You'd get a lot further in this world if you weren't so rudely dismissive of other people's points of view. I never said I planned to port Civ4 religion in its current form, but I think that something similar to what we had in Civ4 is entirely do-able in Civ5, & that the issues associated with it were not nearly as big a deal-nor so insurmountable-as the developers want us to believe.

You'd get a lot further in this world if you weren't so rudely dismissive of other people's points of view. I never said I planned to port Civ4 religion in its current form, but I think that something similar to what we had in Civ4 is entirely do-able in Civ5, & that the issues associated with it were not nearly as big a deal-nor so insurmountable-as the developers want us to believe.

I'm not dismissive, actually, and as I said I have my own plans for religions. If I was rude, I apologize.

Here are the issues with religion in Civ4, as I see them:

• It has no real effect other than an instant diplomacy switch, in the unmodded game.
  • All religions are the same. Yes, this changes in mods, but I am not talking mods; The game has to be "PC", so it must have all religions equal. Ergo, boring.
  • There was a large amount of micro involved in spreading religions; Much of this can be done away with without losing anything.
My own plans involve new social policies, and can be (mostly) implemented now. No diplo effects (though I'd like to add some slight ones eventually, I would not go heavy on them), actual variation between religions and useful effects, and no micro for spreading religions.

And if the files do absolutely nothing, and have nothing using them in the DLL, why not remove them?

I'm sure you were a beta tester. That doesn't mean you had access to the design documents, or their original plans. Looking through the various references to religion in the game, it's pretty obvious that religion was in the game at one point. Maybe not at the point you got to test it. But not only are all the references still in the various XML files, but there are still complete functions dealing with religion in the DLL, and references to those functions in the main executable. No, they don't currently function, but the fact they were there at all indicates that yes, religion was in the game. The function calls aren't simply Civ IV hold-overs, even assuming they re-used Civ IV code that blindly, which is unlikely as well.

With that being said, the fact so many religion related calls are still in the game doesn't mean they were removed to make a release date. I seem to recall an interview fairly early into the press cycle that indicated they weren't going to have religions in, but I don't have a link to it.

Bh

I dont know if any of these have been requested.. but yeah.

Firstly, id love a reusable water based worker unit. Why? ever since call to power, I have loved the idea of amphibious towns and farms ect... But it is obviously too early to request stuff like that. Instead, I would like to request a worker unit that could build fishing boats, oil rigs, ect WITHOUT disappearing. It gets to the point that I just forget to build work boats since when I do, they just... annoy me.

Other then that, melee chariot units. This may be oldschool, but in civ 1 I LOVED the chariots. Stonger then warriors, weaker then knights and able to Ahem everyone up. When I saw the special "war chariot" unit from one of the civs I WAS hopefull... but it was ranged again. I mean I dont know if they were EVER meant to be for close combat historically. But I do miss them being the tanks of the ancient ages, before knights and wayyy before tanks.

might as well say a few more ideas, who knows someone may want to do it.
Higher level roads, say between roads and railroads. Modern era roads that are faster then normal roads, slower then railroads (without the production boost) but at the same matienance level as normal roads. and higher level railways, such as maglevs, to act as super expensive (3gp/t) FAST routes. They would provide no more then railroads STAT (still 50% production) but would be much faster then railroads.. thus providing motivation to use them mainly over the civ's core routes (rather then to every town like railroads/roads)

An Automate road upgrade for worker units. I dont like to automate as much in civ5 as I did in civ4, but upgrading EVERY ROAD IN MY KINGDOM to railroads is hard and time consuming. Id love a worker mode that ONLY upgrades roads to railroads between towns... saving time without ruining my precious farmlands (so sue me, I dont like trading post spam. Farms look prettier)

A way to turn off barbarian pillaging, once more purely based on my anal desire for a perfect looking civ... I often find myself playing on a much lower difficulty JUST because I dont like my places being pillaged. I know its a gameplay aspect, and it has stratergy... but all im wanting is a way to turn it off. So I can play at a higher difficulty and still keep my beautiful little empires.

thats all for now, just wanted to say a few. I looked into the modding tools but I couldnt work it out.

Please can someone fix the graphics for the absurd "Trading Posts". Firstly it's ridiculous to have tent cities all around your "advanced" civilization;

Secondly I find the graphics make any unit on top of the tile almost invisible not to mention making my eyes bleed. I don't think I'm the only one!

I'd like to see a mod that promotes Civ II style expansionism. Some checks against expansion, sure, but turned down from what it is now. Basically, the bigger the empire, the better. Something where one of the main short term objectives is to build more cities in good locations, because it gives you a stronger empire and puts you in better condition for a victory. Where capturing an enemy's cities is actually a reason to go to war, instead of a burden you have to deal with if you do go to war.

An Automate road upgrade for worker units. I dont like to automate as much in civ5 as I did in civ4, but upgrading EVERY ROAD IN MY KINGDOM to railroads is hard and time consuming. Id love a worker mode that ONLY upgrades roads to railroads between towns... saving time without ruining my precious farmlands (so sue me, I dont like trading post spam. Farms look prettier)

This would definitely be useful.

And I don't spam trading posts either. I spam farms and lumbermills... As do most of the other testers. It's a strategy we all arrived at more or less independently as paying off best in the long run, and we're pretty unanimous about trading post spam being crap. :lol:

I'd like to see a mod that promotes Civ II style expansionism. Some checks against expansion, sure, but turned down from what it is now. Basically, the bigger the empire, the better. Something where one of the main short term objectives is to build more cities in good locations, because it gives you a stronger empire and puts you in better condition for a victory. Where capturing an enemy's cities is actually a reason to go to war, instead of a burden you have to deal with if you do go to war.

What? I thought that is already encouraged? When I start a game, I expand aggressively and pacify my continent as quickly as possible before settling into builder mode. Puts me well above the other civs.

What? I thought that is already encouraged? When I start a game, I expand aggressively and pacify my continent as quickly as possible before settling into builder mode. Puts me well above the other civs.

I wouldn't say encouraged, especially on larger maps. There are big hits to happiness. Culture issues. It makes it nearly impossible to build national wonders (probably the biggest penalty to expansion) if you expand regularly.

I understand there are methods to deal with these problems. But it's very consuming and it often makes just as much sense to have a small number of cities. IIRC, in Civ II the only major drawback to expanding to quickly was the problem of having a strong enough military to defend every city. Continents quickly filled up, and then it became a game of who could conquer each other's cities.

I don't know that that will happen.

Let's put it this way: Games Workshop is very sensitive about it's IPs. Given that the mod would be distributed in the game, I find it HIGHLY probable that they would send a Cease and Desist notice to the author.

then I have only one thing to say: let them develop and sell it themselves. I'll buy it! :rolleyes:

They can contact me for a job in development; I've only got project management skills in IT though, but I learn fast :cool:

Hi,

would be great to get Rise of Mankind in Civ V :)

regards

I’m not certain if this could be done at all; But I’d like some help exploring the potential of a mod/expansion which I laid some groundwork thoughts for;

Proposed Civilization V Expansion – “Hammer & Cross”

Additions of
Religions
Corporations

Expansions on existing gameplay elements
Expanded Diplomatic options
Further Civ-specific abilities based on historical strengths
Finer control of Empire Economy
Additional worker abilities
Additional Military abilities (minor)
Retooled Happiness & Anger
Recalculated Science & Production

The rationale behind “Hammer & Cross”

Civilization V is a completely worthy follow up to Civilization IV. Firaxis truly learned from Civilization IV and Revolutions. The smooth user interface, strong graphics engine, easy to understand and manipulate controls and good gameplay make Civilization V a pleasure to play.

That being said, Civilization V is ripe for certain additions. Concepts such as Economic controls, Religions, Corporations and more in-depth Diplomacy are lacking or nonexistent. So for the moment it is up to the community to work these ideas and others into the game while preserving the spirit of the game Firaxis has presented us.

I. Happiness & Anger

Previously in Civilization;

Happiness & Anger has existed in Civilization series, but the first major shift was between Civilization III & Civilization IV. The transition from a simple Happy/Rioting to a Happy/Protest but only by the unhappy citizen was a major shift away from unnecessary micromanagement. The Imperial happiness level in Civilization V is a logical extension of that.

I don't propose to radically retool Happiness/Anger with the exception of integrating Religions into the game and some minor tweaking to allow for larger empires on larger maps (while trying to avoid making ICS too easy). Religion will simultaneously generate Happiness & Anger depending on the situation. This allows for the player to take control of the situation and open some new strategies while not forcing the player into an undue level of micromanagement.

I'll post this as i finish typing it.

Some ideas for a Civ V MOD

Insertion of Religion aspects
Improve of graphics aspect (I think the general color environment, is quite dull (monocromatic!!))
More terraforming capabilities of worker (for example, level an hill or build a channel)
Better diplomacy exchange (for exemple MAPS sharing)
Ships can use Fort as a channel or base
Limit of 4 units per exagon (1 unit is as a battalion / 4 unit as brigade)
Improve and ampliate tech tree, in particular in middle and modern era
In the exagon where was a battle, you have damage of the improvement
More units tipe, in particular ships and air unit type.
Introduction of Piratery and Terrorism unit
Introduction of modern era Nation (Example Italian and NOT Rome)

That's all at the moment
It should be nice if one day it will be available

I find it incredibly annoying when I get an absurd request from another civ at the beginning of every turn, asking for money or a pact. It would be nice if instead of immediately stealing focus, these messages were just queued and ignorable like other notifications.

On a related note, it would also be nice to be able to ignore certain civs in much the same way that they can refuse to discuss peace when they're at war.

Some ideas for a Civ V MOD
Limit of 4 units per exagon (1 unit is as a battalion / 4 unit as brigade)

Already easily done though much of the game does not work as expected:

<GameData>
<Defines>
<Update>
<Where Name="PLOT_UNIT_LIMIT"/>
<Set Value="4"/>
</Update>
</Defines>
</GameData>

I'm running with 2 and it's fine. Reduces the traffic jams without bringing back the SoD. Otherwise, there's LOTS of places that the game does not handle stacked units well and the interface is problematic (no way to select multiple units, picking unit under top, limit to 1 purchase per city, etc)

Top Bottom