Tourism ? Culture ?

Mister_General

Chieftain
"Consider Tourism as your offense and Culture as your defence"
what does that even mean? i've noticed when i open diplomacy and then choose culture i find my "tourism Vs their culture which mine absolutely makes nothing against + i see "cultural victory" and 0/11 <- whatever that is lol

Second: why making a deal is so hard? even when they actually need "let's say silver" they demand three more resources in change ! ? i can't make a proper deal

Happiness, now this just back stabbed me , i never knew happiness under 10 makes uprising and suddenly mongols ruined my tile improvements -.- i got happiness to balance at 0 and now it's dropping again, i have all luxury resources, i always adapt policies that make people happier, i built stuff that make them happier but still they are always "do not like" the condition, and the sadness from the cities captured this is just stupid, do they really need to be sad? even after courthouse is built they produce unhapiness -.-

Finally: This system of "voting" in the world congress
3 for brazil from brazil
7 for arabia from arabia
11 for japan from japan
get it? i even put my spy as diplomat in one of their countries but they never voted for me as host, and now they are banning luxuries and my happiness keeps dropping down. -_-

Tips ? "i'm at modern era i have autocracy idoligy, i'm not that pro so take it easy on explaining :D "

i play BNW btw.

"Consider Tourism as your offense and Culture as your defence"
what does that even mean? i've noticed when i open diplomacy and then choose culture i find my "tourism Vs their culture which mine absolutely makes nothing against + i see "cultural victory" and 0/11 <- whatever that is lol
Check the "influence by player" screen. There you see how your tourism is doing against the other civs defensive culture. If you have a level other than "unknown" that means you are influencing them. There are 4-5 levels of influence IIRC ranging from unknown to dominant. Now at the drop down at the top, change it to another civ. Now you are looking at that civ's tourism competing vs the other civs defensive culture (including your own). If your influence level on them is higher than their influence level on you, that's when it starts causing unhappiness. That, you see in the "culture victory" screen. For each level of difference, there should be 1 icon for that ideology indicating 1 level of unhappiness. As for 0/11, that means you have reached "influential" with zero of 11 civs. You need to reach influential with every civ on the map to win a culture victory.

Second: why making a deal is so hard? even when they actually need "let's say silver" they demand three more resources in change ! ? i can't make a proper deal

This could be the result of many causes.
1. The AI may hate you or be super-duper isolationist and hate making deals
2.If you want a resource from them and they only have 1 copy, they will generally want more.

For your happiness, its clear someone is exerting ideological pressure on you. Thats why your cities revolt. Get more culture to counter this.
Cities give you as much happiness as their population is forever. You cant change that.

You don't have enough information for the World Congress, but try allying city states, building certain wonders.
But as for the diplomats, if you send a diplomat to another civ it only allows you to make trade deals for propositions. Go to diplomacy with the civs you have diplomats in and trade for world congress votes.
Hope I helped

yea you both guys are awesome, but it sounds impossible to win a culture victory, as my current tourism is 20 while other civs has like thousands of culture point, i don't think i will ever be able to get my tourism to atleast 100 hundred. lol

na don't worry, tourism comes very late in general. There are lots of big multipliers towards the end of the tech tree.

yea you both guys are awesome, but it sounds impossible to win a culture victory, as my current tourism is 20 while other civs has like thousands of culture point, i don't think i will ever be able to get my tourism to atleast 100 hundred. lol

Don't worry later on in the game comes buildings that take a % of your culture and add it to your tourism, also along with other techs like "The Internet automatically doubles the Tourism output of all your cities, helping you advance toward a Cultural Victory" getting your tourism isn't as impossible as you think.

P.S if you go to war and conquer you enemies you get all there great works which also increase tourism.

Culture is how many women want you, tourism is how many men want to be you. From this perspective, it becomes clear the more culture you accumulate, the better the odds one of them will know how to cook...

Um... culture a measure of your empire's social cohesion. "We are Romans because we build big things and get totally drunk, and use toilets instead of letting our waste fall to the ground where we stand like wild animals."

Tourism is a measure of how much other empires like your culture compared to their own. "Man, I wish I lived in Rome. Shiny white buildings, wine, no excrement lying around..."

Build the artist/writer/musician guild as soon as it is available, make of point of making them available, and staff them immediately.

Cultural victory is harder than before, but it's still manageable. Just build culture buildings to generate great people, make them to make great works, get archeology and get museums going (steal world's cultural herigate) and finally go for Internet-tech. Also, you'll need aestectichs SPs.

Remember that you will get +25% bonus for tourism for each of these:
-diplomat in the target country's capital
-same religion with target country
-open borders with target country
-trade route with target country

It is possible to make 1:1 deals. You just need to be a GOOD friends with someone. DoF is needed. They are usually reluctant to sell their last copies of luxuries. Just try not to anger your trading partners by warmongering or something. A good way to make someone love you is to help them becoming the UN host.

It sounds like you're warmongering. Too much cities or too little happiness. And of course they produce unhappiness even after courthouse - every single city does that. Happiness is there to make expanding hard. I've found that Order is a good ideology for keeping large, annexed empires happy. Founding happiness-boosting religion from the start is also very viable strategy. If you have money, make happiness-boosting city-states your friend. Even better if you make them your allies, since they will grant their luxuries to you.

Diplomat in the capital doesen't help them liking you. It just enables you to ask them for a particulra vote in trading screen ie. you can buy them to vote you. AI is, however, stubborn. Usually it's easier to just vote for a friend and make him host, since it will grant awesome bonus to your relations. Befriend many city-states for votes, being host doesen't matter much.

Ahh guys thanks specially the guy with youtube channel, subscribed!

Can u give tips, i'm playing now in map "EARTH" level Prince
ok so i will short everything it's only me and the other guy "PIDRO II" BRazil who is competing
he is in informative era, and i'm in Atomic era he has like 2600 Points "overall the drop menu thingy" and i got like 1600 there are few other players but they got pwned him, i conquest South america and north america and i'm controling them with 4 City states in them ally to me and i got 2 more city state ally in asia and africa so 6 city allies i have he has way more "he conquered asia and africa and europe"
so this guy when he declares war on someone after few turns that person is gone , so there goes my military victory over him, i enabled only "diplomacy and conquest victory"
he has like 29 delgates while i have 20 "he need 6 more to win diplomaticly,
i placed my spies in city states to earn influence but he's going to win if he conquered the rest of the remaining small weak civz what should i do? this is my first civ game and i'm not planning on losing it! playing since 5 days :D

Don't worry later on in the game comes buildings that take a % of your culture and add it to your tourism, also along with other techs like "The Internet automatically doubles the Tourism output of all your cities, helping you advance toward a Cultural Victory" getting your tourism isn't as impossible as you think.

P.S if you go to war and conquer you enemies you get all there great works which also increase tourism.

Cultural victory is harder than before, but it's still manageable. Just build culture buildings to generate great people, make them to make great works, get archeology and get museums going (steal world's cultural herigate) and finally go for Internet-tech. Also, you'll need aestectichs SPs.

Remember that you will get +25% bonus for tourism for each of these:
-diplomat in the target country's capital
-same religion with target country
-open borders with target country
-trade route with target country

It is possible to make 1:1 deals. You just need to be a GOOD friends with someone. DoF is needed. They are usually reluctant to sell their last copies of luxuries. Just try not to anger your trading partners by warmongering or something. A good way to make someone love you is to help them becoming the UN host.

It sounds like you're warmongering. Too much cities or too little happiness. And of course they produce unhappiness even after courthouse - every single city does that. Happiness is there to make expanding hard. I've found that Order is a good ideology for keeping large, annexed empires happy. Founding happiness-boosting religion from the start is also very viable strategy. If you have money, make happiness-boosting city-states your friend. Even better if you make them your allies, since they will grant their luxuries to you.

Diplomat in the capital doesen't help them liking you. It just enables you to ask them for a particulra vote in trading screen ie. you can buy them to vote you. AI is, however, stubborn. Usually it's easier to just vote for a friend and make him host, since it will grant awesome bonus to your relations. Befriend many city-states for votes, being host doesen't matter much.
WAT
i helped him become host with my delgates! and my spy told me he is plotting against me

back stabber -.-

he has like 29 delgates while i have 20 "he need 6 more to win diplomaticly,
i placed my spies in city states to earn influence but he's going to win if he conquered the rest of the remaining small weak civz what should i do? this is my first civ game and i'm not planning on losing it! playing since 5 days :D

if you want to have more delegates, steal most of Pedro's allied City state by Coup, each city states give you 2 more delegates when you enter Industrial Era(and much better if you are the one who built the Forbidden palace it really helps you on early days of world congress), and start digging artifacts(i mean research Archaeology as fast as you can). I win my first cultural victory on king on Modern Era. :)

WAT
i helped him become host with my delgates! and my spy told me he is plotting against me

back stabber -.-

Yeah, backstabs are cruel. Remember, Ai plays to win. If it sees you're weak, he will take advantage. Especially if you're second in points.

BTW, why didn't you enable other victory types? Deleting some of them will usually break the balance completely, since some civs are really made for some victory types. Also, without cultural victory many buildings and archeology as whole are nearly useless. I'd recommend you to play with all VC:s.

Next time focus on science and try to always be better than AI in science. It's really important to keep the pace of research.

if you want to have more delegates, steal most of Pedro's allied City state by Coup, each city states give you 2 more delegates when you enter Industrial Era(and much better if you are the one who built the Forbidden palace it really helps you on early days of world congress), and start digging artifacts(i mean research Archaeology as fast as you can). I win my first cultural victory on king on Modern Era. :)

I'm at atomic era, and what is Coupe?

#MATORO
it's my first game time so i barely know anything so i removed the other options.

coups are part of the espionage system so if you disabled that, it won't be possible. You have the option to try a coup once you have a spy stationed in a non-allied city state.

For your first game, you REALLY shouldn't exclude any other victory types, especially if you don't know how the one you picked works. The thing about BNW is that it allows for changing tracks with intended victory type (though Culture requires continuous investment and is hardest to switch to).

Honestly, you should've started off on a low difficulty and just...played, not necessarily aiming for a victory, mostly to get a hang of the mechanics. Going straight in with the intent to master the most complex victory in the game isn't going to work well.

Really, specifically disabling a bunch of options isn't...a good way to learn how to play the game the way it was designed. The best plan for a first game is to just put everything on standard with Continents, and have all the civs randomly selected. That way you get a feel for the relative "average" that the gameplay is largely balanced towards. But if you disable all the victories except one, it borks up the AI and general balance, alongside reducing late-game options. Probably the best part about BNW is how things just...fall into place endgame, and it becomes more and more of a rush to achieve a victory. Without all the cascades of spaceship parts and the imminently looming threat of a diplo victory, the culture victory becomes a lot more lifeless. So yes, try a more standard game. Good beginner civs are probably England, Poland, America, Greece, Ethiopia, Portugal, Babylon, the Inca, the Shoshone, and China, all in their own ways.

I would disagree with the post(s) about cultural victory being more dificult to get this in BNW than in G&W; at least on high difficulty levels if you aren't doing an OCC and so can't simply build every single world wonder on the map.

I'm thinking optimum Cultural play in BNW is:

1. Piety (with a cultural inducing pantheon)
2. Aesthetics
3. Rationalism
4. Probably Freedom, but Order is close.

At some point open Exploration just for the Louvre but don't take anything else within this tree.

Secure Cathedrals with the Piety choice and build them cheaper.

Run all guild slots (and also also science slots). Youi'll probably want a cargo food ship route or two to your capital.

And instead of blindly building every wonder like in G&K, just try to get a few ones with more great work spots.

And be sure to send Indiana Jones; for sites that can be worked by your own cities, turn those into landmarks but turn others into artifacts.

i left the game i was playing , it got messy with all the nukes and pedro pwning me diplomaticly, i started new one --Dificility "prince" i chose Assyrian civ and i'm aiming for a science victory! i will update status here maybe even post some pics for more tips .

Top Bottom