(3UC) 3rd Unique Component Project

Just wanted to thank you for making this wonderful mod.

Does anyone know of any lists of modded Civs that support 3&4 UC mods?
Great change to England. 3 UU put me off trying my home country, but with the new Textile Mill, I will be trying it this week.

Cheers

Does anyone know of any lists of modded Civs that support 3&4 UC mods?

Check the second post. Although almost all modded civs should be compatible, CL Canada, Kramer's CSA, and CL Australia all have 3&4 Component mods (although be forewarned that Australia is currently incompatible with the EUI). Any other modCivs will, by default, receive an extra building when used with the 3UC.

I'm curious as to why the Gungdo archer was removed. Was it because Korea already had 2 UUs to begin with?

I'm curious as to why the Gungdo archer was removed. Was it because Korea already had 2 UUs to begin with?

Yes, that is correct. I will probably compile a mod of rejected components later, if others want to still use them.

One thing to note: the newest update to 3UC/4UC made it slightly incompatible with Really Advanced Setup. Now when 3UC/4UC is activated the Really Advanced Setup becomes glitchy.

Updated both mods to version 2.0 today. Here are the following changes:

Visual improvements for some icons.
Shoshone Tipi yields changed - Now yields Production instead of Food. +1 Culture bonus moved to Drama. +1 Culture at Archaeology unchanged.
Polish Barbican yields changed - Now yields additional Food, which is replaced with a Culture/Tourism bonus upon Flight.
Roman Thermae yields changed - Removed +2 Food and replaced with +1 Culture. +1 Science unchanged.
Moroccan Zellige Mosque yields changed - Now yields 15% Culture instead of 3 culture.
Songhai Treasury reworked. Now a unique Market that yields 2 Gold in the Capital.
Venetian Doge's Palace yields changed - Now yields 2 Culture instead of 3.
Updated Hiawatha's AI - Now builds fewer roads (and hopefully more trees instead!).

I also updated the front page with pictures to showcase the Components. Unless some major flaw is discovered, I'll take a break from updating this mod for now.

Thanks for the update! :)

May I ask where exactly (file, location) you've tweaked Hiawatha's AI?
So I can copy the changes over to the reforestation mod!

Btw the Ninja mod you released in the workshop is missing the TXT_KEY_PEDIA_PROMOTION_NINJA.

I suggest giving Poland a Folwark UI... Something like this:

UI: Folwark
Unlocked at civil service, and may only be built on farms. +1 :c5gold: gold and +1 :c5production: production, increased to +2 :c5gold: gold if built on wheat. After industrialisation, it loses its base gold yield and will yield +2 :c5culture: culture.

Thanks for the update! :)

May I ask where exactly (file, location) you've tweaked Hiawatha's AI?
So I can copy the changes over to the reforestation mod!

Btw the Ninja mod you released in the workshop is missing the TXT_KEY_PEDIA_PROMOTION_NINJA.

Near the end of the file.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Civilpedia entry. Fixed now.

Great mod thank you, It has increased variation of each civ more. Will you be making UCs for more popular modded civs?

I probably will not, due to lack of time. However, if others want to make 3UCs for modCivs, I would link to them on the first page, like I did with Inuit, Australia, CSA, and Canada.

Would you consider making an additional UB for Legui's Israel?

Check the second post. Although almost all modded civs should be compatible, CL Canada, Kramer's CSA, and CL Australia all have 3&4 Component mods (although be forewarned that Australia is currently incompatible with the EUI). Any other modCivs will, by default, receive an extra building when used with the 3UC.

Not sure how to fix Australia's EUI problem :(

I don't use EUI itself, but I believe it's regarding the UnitPanel (Aussie Workers can upgrade to Diggers).

I just tried it after deleting the UnitPanel.lua and it works perfectly with the version of EUI that I'm using. No problems upgrading the worker replacement to Digger, either.

So I guess EUI and Australia are compatible if one deletes that file, right?

A criticism from Civ5 General Discussion forum.

Sorry if this seems like ranting, but I think this needs attention and I think many agree with me on this...

I'm watching a Marbozir LP where he's using a new mod (think it's new, I'm always the last to find out about these things; maybe it's 5 years old). This mod adds 2 additional unique slots to every civilization in the game. In other words, all civs retain their UA and 2 original unique slots (UI, UU, UB) but have two additional unique slots.

This had the potential to be a great mod for two reasons, one big reason and one small reason. The small reason is that it adds additional flavor to each civ. The big reason is that it could address the balance issue between the civs.

It appears that the big reason was one that the modder completely ignored. Marbozir randomly rolled Korea, a God-Tier civ, who along with Poland and Babylon are almost inarguable as the best civs and for almost all situations. Korea had one additional UU and a new UB. The UU was a crossbowman replacement that suffers no new penalty but has a 33% bonus against archery units and mounted units. This is an unbalanced bonus primarily because there's a few base units in the game that you need to be very limited in how much their UU get because the default unit either has a high degree of utility or a long window of opportunity. These units are composite bows, crossbows, pikes,and most importantly frigates. To give such a big bonus to a unit that already has such high utility is too much, especially when added to what's already a god-tier civ...

...and I just threw in the towel on the mod when I heard about the UB. A civ that's already as strong as Korea now getting a university replacement (similar to unit utility, some buildings need to have very limited amping up with UB, and university is the top one) a university that adds 2 culture and 2 faith. That's waaaaaaaaaay over the top.

Having trouble finding the link about what civs got what from this mod, but to do it properly civs like Korea, Poland,and Babylon would need very limited bonuses from the new additional unique slots whereas civs like Denmark, Venice, and Iroquois you could go to town with. So either 1.) rebalancing, which is much needed, was not a concern with this and the rich civs kept getting richer, or 2.) rebalancing was considered and the weaker civs got even more powerful additions, but that would be over the top. For Korea to get a university that adds 2C/2F, Denmark would need a monument that adds 10 beakers.

What Korea could have really used in this mod were two UB's that followed the mentality of the Iroquois UB. A university that adds an additional scientist slot but loses the 33% bonus, and a workshop that adds a engineer slot but loses the 10% bonus. That way, it still ties in very well with his UA, but the tradeoff keeps him in check.

-------------------

This seems to be a problem with new mods and new expansion packs. They want the mod or expansion to be something well received, and they end up going overboard with the bonuses that new civs or game elements get. When civ5 first came out, they intended for the different civs to be balanced but flavored differently, they only failed because at the time, they were unaware of some of the design deficiencies in the game - research overpowering everything else, ranged units attacking with impunity being overpowered, and growth being so critical to success. This is why with the exception of Babylon, the Aztecs, and Arabia (for the aforementioned reasons) most of the civs were relatively balanced.

But with every expansion and mod, new civs are being introduced that are better than all the pre-existing ones. There were a few exceptions like Portugal, but if you look at most of the best civs in the game they are from expansions or mods. Poland, the Maya, Korea, the Huns, Sweden, Ethiopia, Austria, the Inca, the Shoshone and Morocco are most of the best civs in the game and they are all from expansions. Then I see some of the new civs available only in mods like the Turks and the same thing happens.

We want civs that offer different flavors, not ever-increasing levels of power.

A criticism from Civ5 General Discussion forum.

Hmmm... Fair enough. I disagree with the examples though: England and Songhai are both better than the Maya(whose UA can be quite penalising at times), and Siam can also be quite amazing.

Speaking to the point, I do think the game needs to be balanced, but that's hardly anything this mod can do.

Thanks for the post, poom. I'm always happy to hear others' opinions on the mod.

When creating new components, my primary concern was to make them historically accurate and also interesting, but I did try to make them balanced as well. The latest version of this mod, version 2, actually addresses these concerns based on feedback I received. The Gungdo crossbowman and the Seowon university have been replaced and nerfed, respectively.

Update!

- The 4UC has now has compatibility with Reforestation, for those of you who really want to use that mod.

- The resource requirements have been removed from the Zulu Isicathulu (Circus), due to issues that came from having too many [and/or] requirements.

Top Bottom