Really Advanced Setup

Woo Hoo. Hey Mars83 if you are still out there. I found a way to get things to work with vanilla. The player doesn't receive the bonuses until the next turn but hey that's better than nothing.

Unit level up bonus's from the units chosen. Thats in the 3rd image. Also the reasources still appear later in the game.

Thanks for the great work. Just wondering, are you going to release this on Steam Workshop so it can auto-update?

That's on my list of things to do. I'll probably just add a slider that increases the radius of the revealed part of the map. The default is somewhere around 3 plots (I'd have to look at the map to get the exact amount). I was thinking of making the range of the slider go from the current default up to some higher value. Maybe 10 plots?

That sounds about right. (Oddly enough in a game I started this morning I moved my settler a couple spots to a river plain/hill hex, whereupon a barb spawned and killed it :( )

Anyway, I 'd like to add this is an awesome mod, terrific work. :goodjob:

Mars83
Yes just like a normal game, if a resource needs a certain tech before it becomes visible then you won't see it until then even if it was placed by the mod.

Ozsil
Yes I plan to eventually add it to steam but it probably won't happen until several versions have been released here for testing.

Thanks Blackluck. I should have mentioned that I found that bug a couple of days ago when investigating the problem with vanilla Civ. It's been fixed in version 2. The original code just set the value for the each bonus (gold, culture, etc...). Now the value is added to the existing amount.

The release of version 2 will delayed for a day or two. I totally rewrote the code for placing units at the start of the game. Everything is finished but I want to spend a little time testing things before releasing the next version. The good news is that all issues mentioned at the bottom of the first post are fixed (I think). I also added an option to increase the player's visibility range at the start of the game. You can now set it up to 10 plots from the player's starting position. This option applies to all players, so the AI players get the same advantage as you.

Version 2 has been released. The link is at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

All issues in version 1 should be fixed. Please let me know if you find anything different.

The following changes have also been made:

A "increase starting visibility" option has been added that can allow more of the map to be revealed at the start of the game.

The maximum distance option for placing units has been removed. It is now always done automatically. It will never be more than 4 or less than 2.

The number of players in the game no longer changes when you change the map size. I added a button that allows you to set the number of players to the default amount manually. That way you don't loose a bunch of that you already set up when you change the map's size but you can still get the default number by clicking on the button.

The maximum value for the Unit Count slider has been reduced to 10. You can still add just as many units as before you're just limited to 10 per line now.

The Gold, Culture, and Faith sliders now have increments of 25 instead of 100.

Some of the help messages have been updated and/or improved.

The new version doesn't seem to load for me. I don't see anything in the logs that seems suspicious for me. I just see the old "advanced set up" screen instead of your new one. Does anybody else have a similar issue?

Try exiting the game. Then restarting. Make sure only one version of the mod is enabled. Then start the game. I've had some problems in the past where Civ5 gets confused when I change the version of a mod. It doesn't just happen with my mod it also happens with other mods.

I normally delete my cache and then the old mod before installing the new version (this is what I did here too ;)). I haven't restarted a game though, so I will try that one and then get back to you ;)

I have an idea for an option to add to version 3 and wanted to see if there's any interest in it. Basically I was thinking of adding an option to change the way luxuries work. Instead of getting 4 happiness for the first luxury of each type and then none for each copy after that. The player would get 3 happiness for the first luxury, 2 happiness for the second luxury of the same type, and 1 happiness for the third luxury of the same type.

That means that instead of getting 4 happiness per luxury a player could get up to 6 happiness per luxury but they would need to have 3 of that type luxury to get the 6 happiness.

It would make things a little more difficult when you first start out since you only get 3 happiness for that first luxury but would help later on when you have a large empire and have access to more of each luxury. It would also give you a reason to after extra luxuries even if you're a warmonger and having problems getting the AI to trade with you.

Speaking of the AI. Since trading away the 2nd or 3rd copy of a luxury still gives more happiness then would normally be available I believe the AI should be able to handle this change reasonably well. My only concern is whether they will go for that 2nd and 3rd luxury quickly enough.

I would need to "trick" the game to make this work but I think it's doable. Would anybody be interested in this change?

It's an interesting idea. It could possibly make an ICS strategy super OP, but that's neither here nor there.

Personally, though, I feel like it would be more appropriate as a separate standalone mod rather than part of the Advanced Setup screen. I'm not really sure why, but it seems that pre-game stuff should generally just affect the game rules and starting stuff, rather than inherently change the gameplay.

I was thinking about the in-game vs setup part. That's one of the reasons why I was a little hesitant with this idea. Maybe I should skip this one for now and consider making it separately later.

My mod already does affect a few things in-game but they are relatively "mild". Like giving players some bonuses after they acquire their first city and modifying the way the AI behaves until it gets its first city. Something like the modified luxuries would affect the entire game as opposed to just the beginning.

I'm working on adding the ability to change a civ's starting bias. Baring any unforeseen problems it will be included in version 3.

While the capability is there to make the option available for all player's I'll probably just make it available for the human player. Making it available to all players would add complexity for the user plus the game would ignore some of the start biases if to many are assigned to the same type.

I confirm that it worked again on reload of the game. Strange ;)

Agree that the starting bias for the Human Player is enough, as for the reworked happiness, this might be an interesting thing to try, but it should be a standalone mod or incorporated in another gameplay mod (like GEM, I might make that proposal over there ;)). It simply doesn't fit in a advanced start-up mod.

As for a "bug report", the game I started was the starting place on a peninsula which didn't have enough land tiles in a 3-tile radius for all the land units to be placed. This essentially meant that the excess units didn't get placed (apparently in listwise order...).

Btw. my wishes for the next version would include an option to set the population and free tiles for newly founded cities (and maybe buildings?) as well as a option for turning on good huts in later eras ;)

Thanks for the info.

The units not showing up when starting on a small landmass is normal behavior. This mod doesn't change the way maps are created it just adds to them. I did that on purpose so that it doesn't conflict with map mods (or conflicts with as few as possible). When adding a large number of units it's best to use a map that usually provides a suitable amount of land plots around the starting location.

Your suggestions in the last line are all good, but they fall more in to "gameplay" type mods.

They weren't that many land units for a Renaissance start: 3 Settlers, 3 workers, 1 Knight, 2 Levies, 2 crossbows, 1 Arquebusier. But okay, I get that. It's a shame civilian and military units can't be placed on the same tile though.

Not sure if goody huts on/off are more gameplay than "start without settlers" type of thing, but okay ;)

Having played one advanced start now, I have one observation that City States seem to get conquered quite fast in advanced starts. Seems they just have no chance with no starting units against the AI civs. So I'd love the option of giving them a unit or two on start as well.

Otherwise I just have to say again how genius this mod is. :goodjob:

Top Bottom