El-J 03 ~ Going Rogue, AoI Style

slight hiccup w/ the new biq file. ChaosArbiter noted a bug (no req'd tech assigned) w/ the Sudwester Military Academy. fixed : DL the new one here :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/./downloads.php?do=file&id=13859

it's also linked up in the most recent posts in the AoI thread and the post1/pg1. sorry about this :p human error -

nice remarks everyone :)

please take note all w/ the in-game Player Guide stuff. Kly drafted these entries and i plugged them into CivP format. check out the Nationalities page of the CivP for all kinds of strategy notes (for every civ!), military hardware, leader info, and a pile of other links.

i have thought about a Chinese expedition myself as Japan :D i do think though that building up for at least 18 months is probably best. 2+ yrs is probably more like it if we want to launch any sustained campiagins. by sustained i mean being able to nick, say, 3 or more cities w/ one landing force. anyway, yea, Russia is probably more of a long term threat as well as an immediate threat (their navy is indeed curiously strong in the pacific). so i could put off a Chinese Expedition in the near term in favor of checking the Russians.

i will say that i agree w/ Donkeyman's points re the production cieling for China :cool: and i always like to have high cieling production rates.

will try and launch tonight -- i recommend that the no raze patch is tested and guaranteed to be running. we want to try and keep the map raze free if possible. if unfamiliar w/ the no raze patch, please refer to the Read Me inside of the No Raze Patch folder inside the main AoI folder. best way to tell if you have the patch installed correctly - run a mock test, capture a city, and if you do not get the option to raze the city, it's working. if the pop up appears allowing it, it is not installed properly. these file can be tricky to get going. so please feel free to post if there are any issues. i should also note that this no raze patch, when installed properly, is the best user made utility/patch inthe history of civ3 :) strong praise for this neat and easy little file.

One thing in favor of letting China go for a bit is the Chinese workers will be working the land for you and doing two of the three most important things and that is building up the road net and getting rail service going (the other would be to do mining, which unfortunately, they will do in the hills, but will not do on irrigated tiles).

The other thing about a Chinese campaign that I don't like is beyond their port city, it does not take advantage of the Japanese naval support that would be available. That means building a fair amount of artillery, which is not as needed for our other options. Japanese artillery is not that hot to start with either.

If we do decide to go after Russia, beyond Mukden and the coastal cities, I also like considering trying to get to Chita Oblast. This city is typically not that well defended and grabbing it gets a nice fire break of friendly territory the Russians (or anyone else from the European side for that matter) have to come dragging across to get to your other cities in Korea.

One of the things we can see if it happens (does not every game by any means) but if the Germans decide to try to move east, we may wish to be prepared to jump on a busy Russia a couple of turns later if possible. Still have to deal with the Russian navy, but perhaps not as many cossacks.

Launch!

Land of the Rising Sun

Week 1 1895 - turn1

lots of city builds to assign on this first turn.

Kagoshima - Factory in 8 turns
Ryuku Islands - City Defense in 8
Tokyo - Research Lab in 6 (important: allows for the +2 free tech wonders)
T'aipei - Colonial Govt Building (important: spawns the 'raw material' units)
Osaka - Factory in 8

send our lone Civil Engineer unit to the Iron tile nr Tokyo to link it up. we get a new Civ Eng unit every 13 turns from our capital.

Nigata - Factory in 10
Sendai - Factory in 14
Akita - Coastal Fortress in 10 (important: they offer great defenses against enemy AI naval bombardment)
Sapporo - Coastal Fortress in 4
Hamhung - Deep Water Harbor in 7

send the three (3) Colonial Conscript Workers in Korea to the Coal tile in southern Korea to connect it.

Seoul - Deep Water Harbor in 4
Pusan - Deep Water Harbor in 7

moved fleet around some - concentrated some.

end turn settings : science rate @10, +159G/turn, Colonial Admin I in 12 turns.

we should try to reach a consensus on where to direct science funds. i know it's academic to obtain the Military Tradition tech (2 techs in). this allows for the vet units in the capital. of course, the BB techs for Japan unlock some nice ships, great for naval gunfire support (NGFS). and considering that Japanese arty is poor, these guns will probably form the bulk of our front line. all open for discussion though :D we should pick a specific direction, perhaps mapping ahead several techs (ie reach the BB techs or the Mil Tradition). the colonial admin line, on its face, does not offer a whole lot to us. we get some city builds and not much else.

IBT
Persia demands 69 gold and i tell them to go scratch and they cave.

Week 5 1895 -- turn2

Advisor suggests we build The Gold Standard in Tokyo. this gives the treasury bonus (helpful to pump out a little more coin). however, we need to build the Research Lab if we want to build those sweet +2 free tech wonders. X Ray Machine is buildable from the start (req's Research Lab).

Russians move out two squadrons south - one from Sea of Japan and around Manchuria/Korea.

IBT
nada

Week 9 1895 --- turn3
Russian squadrons underway.

IBT
nada

Week 13 1895 ---- turn4
four cities riot (BS!) and i boost the happy slider to 20%

set Coastal Fortress build in Kuril Islands.

gotta love Vuldacon's civil disorder gfx :thumbsup:

just remembered that we have one of Klyden's favorites :p a volcano which can erupt :cool: it can't torch any cities but it can be destructive if it blows.

parked an IJN squadron nr Ryuku Islands.

IBT
Chile demands 100G; i tell him to play in traffic and he agrees :)
Lowlands demand 100G and i give it. don't want to tangle with them just yet.

wrt AI gold demands, i normally tell the lower ended civs to buzz off but pick my spots w/ the big boys. don't want to unnecessarily burden ourselves early on. we need to get our footing before telling our enemies to buzz off.

Week 17 1895 ----- turn5
pop rush Research Lab in Tokyo for 716G.

here's where i left it :

feel free to MM and change the settings. i like to try to get some cash rolling early and then gradually work in the science and the +2 wonders. the extra cash will come in handy should some civ sneak us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
save attached :

At Bat:
easyhasaids

On Deck:
3.) Arexander
4.) Klyden
5.) Adler17
6.) Donkeyman
7.) Whomp
8.) ZeletDude
9.) ChaosArbiter
10.) Maimonides

Attachments

• Matsuhito of the Japanese, Wk 17 1895 AD.SAV
    792.1 KB · Views: 79
pop rush Research Lab in Tokyo for 716G.
Muh?

Regarding research, I usually get MilTrad, then beeline for Industrialization. From there, either the two Optionals or the Guns, although I don't think I've ever researched Chem Engineering. However, Agri-Refine and Adv. Mining would give us some extra Production and Happiness (Copper, Coal Mines, Tea Plantations).

I say that after Mil-Trad, we jump for Pre-Dreadnoughts II and then figure out where to go from there - by that point we should have more-or-less figured out what we're going to be doing for a while, I think.

Honestly, I usually pass on military tradition at this point since the capital is usually very busy during this phase of the game building improvements. IF I hit anything on the colonial side early, its Col Admin 1 and then off to the industrial side. Remember there are civs who work the industrial side and civs who work the colonial side. You go for much on the colonial side and you really risk not getting the Worlds Fair and Olympics since the other civs have a 4-8 turn lead on you. In addition, it is important to make a beeline for industrial so you can use the population at each city as civil engineers to help out on construction.

After industrialization, flight and electronics follow and I typically use these to help get caught up on the colonial side. By then, the capital is fairly well caught up in terms of needed improvements and will be able to build the stuff on the colonial side from the mining, the academy and then start cranking out vet troops.

Also noticed the Kuril Islands is busy trying to build a infantry in 50 something turns. Recommend some sort of cultural improvement there (Public Library is good).

Much <3 for teh volcanos. :rolleyes:

X-Ray machine is a big must, so we are in good shape there. Japan probably does not quite have the economic muscle to pull off the Great Novel, so this is something I would probably say we ignore for now and concentrate on other stuff.

Have you tried the scenario before eazy? Wondering if that is the "folder within a folder" issue.

Do you have the game in Conquests or in Scenarios (in the Conquests folder)? When I first got 4.0, I put it in the Conquests folder, and when I was trying to find the saves, I moved it to the Scenarios folder, and got that error when I tried loading it. Since it's supposed to be in the Scenarios folder, that's likely where El Justo had his, so if you have yours in the Conquests folder, there might be a problem.

Also, a note regarding my Tech-strat: I'm not used to playing this high a level, so that's probably going to color a lot of my responses (but hopefully not get us into any trouble when I play).

Not the Save File - where are the Biq and Scenario folder?

Week 21,1895: Turn 6

workers complete road to iron near tokyo and coal near pusan.

Sapporo finishes coastal fortress. start building railroad terminal.

Tokyo completes research lab. Start builing of xray machine

T'aipei finishes colonial government building. begin construction on rail terminal

Seoul and Pusan complete deep water harbors. construction begins on rail terminals in both cities.

I changed the production in Osaka and kagoshima to railroad terminals which will be done next turn. Also changed over to RR terminal in nigata 3 turns and sendai 5 turns.

Started building mines on the coal and timber resources in korea and moved the other worker to build a road to the copper resource. Civil engineer unit moved to build mine in tokyo.

IBT
nothing

week 25,1895: turn 7
Osaka and Kagoshima complete RR terminal. Set both to factories 6 turns for osaka 7 for kagoshima

Hamhung completes deep water harbor set to RR terminal 12 turns.

IBT
nothing

week 29, 1895: Turn 8

Colonial Admin I is finished. Start research on protected cruisers I will be done in 4 turns at 60%

IBT
Brazil demands 71 gold. i dont pay and they leave

Germany demands 71 gold and i give it to them

week 33, 1895: Turn 9

Niigata finishes RR terminal. set production to factory in 9 turns

Ryukyu islands finish city defense set it to public library system in 34 turns

IBT
British demand 74 gold and i give in

week 37, 1895: turn 10
Not much happening.
Sapporo is in disorder
research nor at 40% will have protected cruiser I in 2 turns

Attachments

• Matsuhito of the Japanese, Wk 37 1895 AD.SAV
    1 MB · Views: 72
Allright, I'll play it tomorrow. Need to get some sleep before I make some mistakes on our game. :crazyeye:

Week 21,1895: Turn 6

Started building mines on the coal and timber resources in korea and moved the other worker to build a road to the copper resource. Civil engineer unit moved to build mine in tokyo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it more efficient to have the P.O.W. Workers all stacked & working the same tile?

Report to His Imperial Majesty from the Imperial Cabinet concerning expansion plans for His flourishing empire.

(The following is a synopsis of recently posted conquest strategies plus my own crazy ideas.)

1.) Prime Minister El Justo

Go for Russia then China.

2.) easyhasaids

Recovering from fugu poisoning.

3.) Arexander

Quelling a samurai revolt.

4.) Klyden

Conquer Russian territory to Chita Oblast then deal with China.

5.) Adler17

Overseeing the rice harvest.

6.) Donkeyman

Bring China under imperial control. It's a ripe target with a weak military, resources & lots of Workers. Then go for Tibet.

7.) Whomp

Remove the Russian threat. It's an adversary that will grow stronger with time. Then liberate Spain's Pacific holdings.

8.) ZeletDude

Sleeping off a sake binge.

9.) ChaosArbiter

Remove the Russian tsar's influence on the Pacific or put Spain's rusted empire out of it's misery.

10.) Maimonides

Phase 1: The Spanish colonies in the Pacific are ripe for picking. The IJN's guns alleviate the need for large land forces to grab island colonies so we can launch this campaign earlier than any other. Spain's homeland is far away so any reinforcements sent by them will arrive far too late. Small island colonies are easy to defend early on because nobody has amphibious units.

Phase 2: Two-pronged attack on Germany. One from the home islands & Korea on Tsingtao. The other from the liberated Spanish holdings on Germany's 3 colonies in the south Pacific. This will need to be a well-executed, quick campaign or else Germany & Austria-Hungary will march across Russia to attack Korea & other nations might get involved. It's risky, but the rewards are great. We will have a strong grip on the Pacific, many sources of Raw Materials, a major European power will be out of the Pacific, & we will be in a perfect position to launch...

Phase 3: The conquest of China! Tsingtao is a perfect base for this-within quick striking distance of Peking. Will take some time to build forces in Tsingtao, but it's right next to our home islands which helps allot. This phase (mostly land) will also give us some time to build up the IJN.

Phase 4: With Germany & Spain out of the Pacific, a powerful navy, land forces in China & lots of Pacific bases we'll have allot of conquest choices. The Russian east, The Lowland Countries' pacific colonies, the U.S.A.'s Pacific islands & Alaska, the Philipine Natives...

Phase 5: Put Queen Victoria's panties in a bunch. Liberate Indochina. Dog meat is yummy.

Ultimately, we want to control east Asia & the Pacific. Surely, that would give us a VP win.

Then again, I might have eaten a bad batch of edamame...

Should I stop at turn 14 or 15? It seems to me that eazy played the turn 9 but left it there for me to check and press Enter.

I would say stop at 15.

I like Maimonides phasing, but think we could start either way with Russia or Spain.

The big thing to look for help on is if we can catch Germany in a war with Russia. That way, the German troops can't make the trip across if they were at peace with Russia. That would leave Japan free to work on the 4 German pop centers in the Pacific and I agree on Tsingtao being in a brutal spot for the Chinese.

after i have the Philippines i usually go for the dutch colonies. theres pretty good production and its a lot easier to take out the island cities than marching into china with no naval support

Week 37 1895 AD; Turn 9
Move Colonial Conscript Workers from E of Seoul and W of Pusan to W of Hamhung to road the copper.
Did some MicroManaging to get Protected Cruisers I in 4 turns with 0% research. It's more money-efficient to make it with beakerheads instead of research slider. I also prevented a riot at Kuril Islands.

IBT
Akita Coastal Fortress -> Railroad Terminal in 15 turns
Sendai Railroad Terminal -> Factory in 12

Russian ships trying to get a symmetrical formation. If the ship marked with circle would move to the arrow's tip it would be completely symmetrical. :lol:

Week 41 1895 AD; Turn 10
MMing to prevent rioting and wasting beakers.

IBT
Spain wants 100G and I give in.
Protected Cruisers I completed and I begin work on Pre-Dreadnoughts I.
WLTKD in Sendai

Week 45 1895 AD; Turn 11
Switch Kuril Islands from Japanese Infantry to Factory. I'm not sure why it was building it but I think Factory would be more beneficial at this point.
MMing to get Pre-Dreadnoughts I in 4 turns.

IBT
X-Ray Machine is completed in Tokyo, we get Pre-Dreadnoughts I and Armored Cruisers I as our freebies. Start work on Destroyers I.
Tokyo X-Ray Machine -> Gold Standard in 4
Osaka Factory -> Stock Exchange in 5
WLTKD in Niigata

Week 49 1895 AD; Turn 12
This time I need to raise research to 10% to get Destroyers I in 4 turns.

IBT
Sapporo Railroad Terminal -> Factory in 6
Kagoshima Factory -> Oil Fields in 7
Seoul Railroad Terminal -> Factory in 9
Raw Materials and Civil Engineer spawn.
WLTKD in Osaka.

Week 1 1896 AD; Turn 13
:new year:
Move RMs in Korea to Hamhung.
Switch Akita to Steam Transport to transport the RMs.
Colonial Conscript Workers begin mining operations W of Hamhung.
Civil Engineer joins the other one NE of Osaka.
Reduce research to 0% and MM Destroyers to 3 turns.

IBT
Scandinavia demands 100G and I give in just in case.
Italy demands 100G and I give in.
Akita Steam Transport -> Railroad Terminal in 15

Week 5 1896 AD; Turn 14
Steam Transport picks up RMs from Hamhung and steams back to Akita.
Civil Engineers start roading NE of Osaka.
Cash in the RMs with a Home Guard from Akita.

IBT
T'aipei Railroad Terminal -> Coaling Station in 6
Pusan Railroad Terminal -> Factory in 12

Week 9 1896 AD; Turn 15
Rename our only Steam Transport to "HJMS Akita TR" just for the fun of it. :)
Save and quit.

It seems that Russians parked their ships to the positions shown in the pic of Week 37 1895 AD. There is also one British Protected Cruiser parked 2 tiles SE of Kagoshima and one German Steam Transport near T'aipei but still in Chinese Territory.

Top Bottom