Annoying Units

Kris. Not only do they use ACTUAL MAGIC, you have to find a punching bag before committing to the front line and finding you've got a wonky sword.

Chariot archers drive me up the wall... but not when the AI builds them (I love seeing that). I hate when i rush build one (or rush buy one for lack of funds for a better unit) and am reminded of how useless they are. Weak ranged attack, and easy to destroy. Build composite bows instead.

Tangentially, I'm starting to wonder if the role of these is less as a unit for warfare but more as a general rapid firefighter. Might be helpful to protect a worker, missionary or whatever. Hmm, idk, they're still rubbish. The lack of a mobile ranged line is silly, Mech should come from Mounted (jeep) Infantry from Dragoons from Horse Archers.

As SickFak said, Mohawk Warriors. I cannot stand these guys, not requiring Iron so that runaway Hiawatha can build 10 or 20 of them, just lounging around in forests, with that forest combat bonus and a rough terrain bonus on top of that, being attacked by four units in one turn and then insta-healing all the damage away.

As SickFak said, Mohawk Warriors. I cannot stand these guys, not requiring Iron so that runaway Hiawatha can build 10 or 20 of them, just lounging around in forests, with that forest combat bonus and a rough terrain bonus on top of that, being attacked by four units in one turn and then insta-healing all the damage away.

I suppose I've never really experienced the worst of this as I play Aztec a lot. The upgraded Jaguar is not bothered by the Mohawk in the slightest.

Ironclad.

First, it seems I can NEVER build them because of the endemic coal shortage in my games.
Second, when I plan for a seafaring domination strat, they are quite hard to deal even with frigates. And even if you manage to capture it, refer to point 1...
They also seems beast vs cities at this era.

Mohawk warriors in vanilla Civ are uncontested and extremely overpowered, I actually don't think there is a strategy other than just restarting just to avoid them, all the Iroquois do is mass spam these right at your cities and nothing can defeat them, even a massive stack of archers can't, they're just so incredibly strong.

Another one is the Impi, a Pikemen replacement, sure Pikemen are totally useless nowadays thanks to the spam of Crossbow, but Impis come out in a ridiculous force and smash through units very easily thanks to their speed and ridiculous flank bonuses. I dread the day I see one of those next to my border.

Chu-Ko-Nu, okay this is an obvious pick, the AI is terrible in using these units, but any human player can just **** up your game by spamming these guys and going to your city.

Ironclad.

First, it seems I can NEVER build them because of the endemic coal shortage in my games.
Second, when I plan for a seafaring domination strat, they are quite hard to deal even with frigates. And even if you manage to capture it, refer to point 1...
They also seems beast vs cities at this era.

If you lack of iron, you should try the Communitas map (resources are spread in pack of 3-4 around the world). But I understand it can be frustrating, if you build a lot of caravels (like me), especially with Portugal.
English ironclads are simply amazing with the extra movement.

I suppose I've never really experienced the worst of this as I play Aztec a lot. The upgraded Jaguar is not bothered by the Mohawk in the slightest.

True that. The Aztecs can compete with the Iroquois in the forest-warfare department.

Top Bottom