To the Glory of God reformation belief - restricted to religion's founder?

Paszczak

Warlord
I'm in the middle of a game (just hit Industrial Era) where I haven't founded a religion but my neighbour has and he's been spreading it to my cities. He has the reformation belief that allows the purchase of any Great Person with faith and yet I cannot purchase any Great People in any of my cities. I'm able to buy Cathedrals, Missionaries and Inquisitors of his religion just fine.

I'm in the middle of a game (just hit Industrial Era) where I haven't founded a religion but my neighbour has and he's been spreading it to my cities. He has the reformation belief that allows the purchase of any Great Person with faith and yet I cannot purchase any Great People in any of my cities. I'm able to buy Cathedrals, Missionaries and Inquisitors of his religion just fine.

I don't know for sure whether you can or can't. But in my current game, my neighbor spread his religion with Jesuit Education to my cities and I was able to purchase Science building with Faith. So, I would image it should work with Glory of God too.

You need:

A) To be in the Industrial Era
B) To have the religion in the city you’re trying to buy the GPs in
C) To have at least 1000 Faith (for the first GP)

If your situation meets all 3 of those criteria and you still can’t buy GPs, then it would be safe to assume it’s not possible.

Some are founder only and some are follower. Jesuit education is a follower, I'm pretty sure to the Glory of God is a Founder-only. This seems to be the case with all GP-buying, missionary-buying, and prophet-buying beliefs, whereas faith buildings always seem to be follower. Something to think about when you are choosing your own reformation.

I honestly think too much goes to non-founders and am happy a few things don't. I wish all reformation beliefs were founder-only, Otherwise what's the point of putting all that effort into piety?

Only the guy who made the reformation belief gets to use that pantheon belief. If another civilization gets the religion, the civilization won't be able to use the reformation belief. Only the piety completer..

Only the guy who made the reformation belief gets to use that pantheon belief. If another civilization gets the religion, the civilization won't be able to use the reformation belief. Only the piety completer..

Nope, not for Jesuit Education though...

Curses! The Persian prophet has deceived me. He promised me those awesome great people and it was all bogus. I will not trust a false prophet again. :(

Jesuit education allows you to shop for science buildings which speeds up production. I wonder how that works then....

According to Browd's Guide: "most of the reformation beliefs provide 'follower-like' benefits, though some are restricted to the founder only," though it wasn't always clear to me from the guide which ones were follower and which were founder-only. I actually asked that question in a comment a month ago and the guide hasn't been clarified yet, however, he mentions the following as follower-benefitting and potentially dangerous choices as a result, I assumed from the way it was written if he didn't say if was follower-benefitting it wasn't:

Follower-benefitting according to Browd's Reformation War Academy Article:
Jesuit Education
Religious Fervor
Sacred Sites

Too bad for Sacred site strategies, as the AI gets the effect too and can build all your buildings as well and so will accumulate early tourism and culture. :wallbash: However, given they're ******ed and you'll get the shared religion modifier it still works but with some effort, you probably do NOT want to spread your religion given two religious buildings can drastically accelerate early culture for the AI.

The rest were unmarked meaning they probably go just to you. This makes sense as the others are: benefiting gold to city-states (worthless if neighbors can do it) or affecting prophet/missionary action. It seems to be the trend that missionary/prophet, or person-purchasing faith beliefs are only for the founder. This seems to be the trend, though even if they aren't, who cares. If any AI is making your missionaries you can only benefit. The spy one is probably only your spies from the way it is described. Heathen conversion is unmarked as well and I'm unsure which way it goes as the other military belief is follower. Unity of the prophets is obviously follower as well, it's just all cities of your religion so there's really no distinction.

There's my best guesses. If anyone else has more experience let me know. :)

These posts prompted me to re-test the usability of reformation beliefs by non-founders. Summary of results is here and the Reformation Beliefs article in the War Academy has been updated.

Top Bottom