[BNW] Domination Victory on Deity at Standard Speed

durron597

Chieftain
So after my somewhat boring first Deity win, I'm trying again to do a more interesting (IMO) Domination victory as the Incas. I'm doing a 3 Billion year Pangaea because the computer is terrible at boats (so, yawn) and this is my first Deity Domination attempt. So far, it's taken me so much longer on Deity than it does on Immortal or below.

I do think I'll win but it took me so long to get ahead in tech to be able to beat Poland's massive Winged Hussar army that I expect almost all the warring will happen in the Information Era, unless I bail to SV.

tl;dr how do you beat the AI without UU or waiting for Artillery on Standard speed?

I'll post screenshots of a few different turns later when I get home.

One of the few Let's Plays I was able to find that doesn't abuse UU for combat was This one on a Continents Map, but it was almost entirely abusing Frigates into Logistics into Battleships which works on Continents but not on Pangaea. And certainly not on 3 Billion years.

----

My current situation is that I started with England about 20 tiles to the north of me in the southeast corner and Poland about 20 tiles to the east of me, with a mountain range separating me and Poland. Due to lack of good spots I forward settled England for two bananas, a cow and two unique Cocoa, and she hated me for most of the game but never DoWed me. I also sort of forward settled Poland to grab a Marble and a really good, very defensible spot just south of the mountain range.

The problem I had is that, before I even settled my second city, I got a "Poland covets your lands" with my starting spot, so I spent most of the game expecting him to DoW me. Even though London would have been much, much easier to take, expecting this war from Poland caused me to play a bit paranoid and I ended up just building infrastructure and basic until the Renaissance. In the Renaissance I was less than 4 techs behind when Poland finally did DoW me, and I pushed him back and had a decent army of Trebuchets, Crossbowmen and a couple Longswordsmen when I tried to advance on his cities.

I think the reason Poland didn't DoW me sooner is that he had Boudicca on the other side of him who's lands he coveted more, and who he basically eliminated with Japan's help. I reloaded an earlier save twice, here are each of the things I tried:

• Attack Poland with Trebuchets and Crossbowmen
  • Attack Poland with 1/2 frigates, Cannons and Gatling Guns
  • Attack Poland with Artillery and Riflemen and 3 Frigates

The first time I was not ready and got rolled by really heavily upgraded knights. The second time he had Winged Hussars which kicked my ass. The third attempt worked (and I got Battleships and Bombers in the meantime), but it meant that I didn't take my first Capital until the the late Modern Era. In both cases I never really had enough troops (not enough cash or time) to be able to take a lot of losses of my Trebuchets and Catapults getting destroyed from full health and just replace them. Maybe the problem is that Poland is always a civ with a large army of Winged Hussars and they are so OP, if I had a different neighbor it would be easier?

I'm currently the tech leader but only by two techs, and Japan has an enormous empire with double my soldier count and almost double my tourism output. I'm sure I would kick his ass if I went to go fight him, but I'd have to go all the way around the world and then I'd be ignoring the Ethiopia Freedom close to home and I won't be able to take most capitals until the Information era. It would be so much easier to just stop fighting and bail to a Science victory at this point, it just seems exhausting. Or I could capture his capital and use that to power a CV.

I've watched a lot of Marbozir's Let's plays and he always plays on Epic game pace, which usually means that he's wrapping the game up around the Atomic era or so. In a few games I've watched he's just gotten nukes and he rarely has to worry about the AIs having had nukes for very long. What might I be doing wrong? How does one win wars against AIs that have decently defensible positions before Artillery? Is the key to start the war much earlier so you end up with Trebuchets / Cannons with +1 range?

---

Edit: Ha I just realized how similar this thread is to this one.

This guide has everything you need to play domination victories of every sort. It's entirely possible to clear a map with crossbows. You might need artillery for the last civ or two, but you should not need to wait for artillery to start.
The biggest difference between the good players and the rest of us are twofold: efficient movement, and unit training. Good players always find places to get unit XP up for range and logistics, and they move efficiently to minimize losses and cover the greatest ground.

Why u don't just bunker down on 4 citys tradition with forts and go win Domination with stealth and xcom
that works just fine even on deity since there is no counter to stealth

Best of luck OP. I keep starting wars early, and sometimes I can get a cap or two or even clear my continent. But mostly I never get anywhere until Rocketry. I guess that still beats waiting on Stealth!

I think my best advice in your situation would have been to bribe Poland to DoW Boudicca, or even better, Oda. (Or the reverse.) Since you think London was a juicy target, it would've freed you up to take London first without the fear of a sudden Polish invasion. But I think that would've been the right play, since warring with England first allows your army to get some of those key upgrades.

In heavy fighting like that yes promotions are what you need in my opinion to give you the early edge. In fact sometimes I purposefully drag out the early wars so they keep producing troops for me to destroy. It levels you faster and gets you to amazing promotions. You can do this in earlier eras where you fight not to conquer the foe but just to keep fighting and leveling. Pick terrain where you can easily defend and aim for range/logistics on your bombarding units and blitz/march on your melee. I also like to get the bonus against wounded on my cavalry as they act as a great finisher to rush in and take something out that way.

The best way to do conquest is to get a very highly leveled core to your military. Boats are the easiest way to do it as they get range very quickly but you disabled that with your map settings. I think in my experience on Deity that all AI have rather large and difficult militaries quite early so I wouldn't say your problem was with Poland. Certainly them not having a current UU would help though. This is a bit of gambit but often works on deity: rush build a couple early troops and start a war with a neighbor but not to take anything, just pillage a few tiles and steal his two starting workers. This hurts him to the point that you can war him later or alternatively use him as a punching bad for aggressive AI looking for a target. AI on deity gets many advantages that snowball so the more you can remove early from them the better you'll do and the worse they will do.

I think my best advice in your situation would have been to bribe Poland to DoW Boudicca, or even better, Oda. (Or the reverse.) Since you think London was a juicy target, it would've freed you up to take London first without the fear of a sudden Polish invasion. But I think that would've been the right play, since warring with England first allows your army to get some of those key upgrades.

Poland had already crushed Boudicca before he came for me, unfortunately. There was also a choke preventing Poland and Japan from fighting each other, and I couldn't get Ethiopia to fight him despite warmongering from Poland.

In heavy fighting like that yes promotions are what you need in my opinion to give you the early edge. In fact sometimes I purposefully drag out the early wars so they keep producing troops for me to destroy. It levels you faster and gets you to amazing promotions. You can do this in earlier eras where you fight not to conquer the foe but just to keep fighting and leveling. Pick terrain where you can easily defend and aim for range/logistics on your bombarding units and blitz/march on your melee. I also like to get the bonus against wounded on my cavalry as they act as a great finisher to rush in and take something out that way.

This probably would have worked, I was using one-promotion regular crossbows at the beginning of the war. I'll have to try that next time.

Here are some screenshots of relevant portions of the game. I tried to choose locations for the screenshots to tell the whole story.

Imgur Album

Turn 88 (finishing NC, considering beginning to make Comp bows):
Spoiler :

Turn 135 (just before Poland DoWs me. Note Edinburgh is already captured):
Spoiler :

Turn 162 (here's the Polish empire I'm dealing with):
Spoiler :

Turn 191 (These cannons aren't going to do anything. Here you can see a unique Mandekalu cavalry I had from a CS):
Spoiler :

Turn 231 (I have Artillery now and finally take Krakow):
Spoiler :

Turn 298 (Current turn. Note that I took almost all his cities so I could build Railroads and have relevant coastal cities. I just took my first Japanese city):
Spoiler :

This probably would have worked, I was using one-promotion regular crossbows at the beginning of the war. I'll have to try that next time.

A "cheap" way to get these promotions without the danger of a long war with the AI is to perma-war a CS and level by shooting at the city after you kill their units. The AI don't like you doing this but if you start it before they meet you you can get away with it a while. It's easy xp if you get enough units to cycle in and out and you'll have your logistics then range eventually plus a free worker. Getting blitz and logistics first means you start getting double-xp so it's normally my strategy.I say it's a "cheap" gamey tactic, but if this is your first Deity conquest then then maybe you don't care, your call. You can pick some worthless CS in the ice and farm them for a while. ;)

Turn 88 (finishing NC, considering beginning to make Comp bows):

Building CBs on deity on turn 88 not gonna work :)

On deity you want them before NC or tech fast to XBs (~100T) - more reliable way for less experienced player to warmonger.

He has a few on T88 already. And OP seems to be doing okay. What was the question?

He wants to win domination victories faster than in info era and takes capitals before artylleries in which case 'a few CBs on turn 88' aren't enough.

He wants to win domination victories faster than in info era and takes capitals before artylleries in which case 'a few CBs on turn 88' aren't enough.

Interesting, makes sense. So I have some questions:

1. If you're playing a Civ without a great UU, is the idea to beeline Machinery before Philosophy? Or start with Comp Bows, get NC, then beeline Machinery?
  2. What's a target turn for NC on a Dom victory pre-info era Pangaea with no UU? There is no way I could get NC on 90 and also build Comp Bows.
  3. Also, should I wait for Barracks before building the Comp Bows? When should I open Honor, assuming I start either Tradition or Liberty? Is Tradition even an option for pre-Info era Dom victory? At my level winning in Info era is okay (I'm not looking for sub-t250 or anything like that), what's not okay is taking my first capital after Dynamite and and not making any progress until Info era.

Poland had already crushed Boudicca before he came for me, unfortunately. There was also a choke preventing Poland and Japan from fighting each other, and I couldn't get Ethiopia to fight him despite warmongering from Poland.

Right, my suggestion was to go crush England WHILE Casimir is distracted crushing Boudicca. And then when it looks like he's just about done with her, bribe him to DoW Oda too. You want him distracted at all times. London looks like a nice, juicy city in your pics... did it house any wonders? I think you would have definitely been better served taking out Lizzy first.

1. If you're playing a Civ without a great UU, is the idea to beeline Machinery before Philosophy? Or start with Comp Bows, get NC, then beeline Machinery?
  2. What's a target turn for NC on a Dom victory pre-info era Pangaea with no UU? There is no way I could get NC on 90 and also build Comp Bows.
  3. Also, should I wait for Barracks before building the Comp Bows? When should I open Honor, assuming I start either Tradition or Liberty? Is Tradition even an option for pre-Info era Dom victory? At my level winning in Info era is okay (I'm not looking for sub-t250 or anything like that), what's not okay is taking my first capital after Dynamite and and not making any progress until Info era.

1. No, you don't necessarily want to delay your NC THAT long. I think the suggestion was: If you want to use composite bows, then go to construction before philosophy, because their window of usefulness will be over by the time you finish building your NC. If not, then skip construction and just beeline machinery AFTER your NC (and maybe after education too, but probably not if you are looking for an earlier domination victory).
  2. I think turn 90 is just fine for your NC. As stated already, you can skip the composite bows if you're getting them after your NC. Just wait until you get to machinery.
  3. As a general rule, I only build the barracks early if going domination and I have a high production city (maybe > 12 hammers/turn). The logic is two unupgraded units is better than one upgraded unit, but if the city has the production to build, say, 6 units, then 5 upgraded units are better than six unupgraded ones. I usually don't open Honor until after completing my first tree, but others' mileage may vary. Some people even make it work by opening Honor. I have definitely parlayed a Tradition opening into a domination victory.

Generally I agree with what fyar said.

I may add that my favorite way to domination victory on Pangea is : 3 cities liberty opening and quickly take two capitals with CBs (but it require some experience) then NC, get fast machinery and take remaining caps with XBs (maybe two last with gunpowder units and cannons).

Example France DCl (see my posts) - 151t domination victory:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=550736

Top Bottom